Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning after Holiday Visa expires

Options
  • 03-06-2012 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi everyone.

As far as I know the maximum lenght to stay on a holiday visa to the USA is 3 months but how long does one have to wait before they can return again. Can someone leave before the 3 months expire only to return again a day later and stay for another three months???

Hopefully someone can clarify this for me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

The general guideline to not have trouble is to spend more time outside the US than inside each time, and no more than 180 days in any rolling year- so if you spent 6 weeks on holidays, wait at least 6 weeks to return and you *should* be given the full 90 days.

However, it all depends on the officer you get at immigration at the airport. If you have been travelling a lot, or are close to the guidelines, or just look odd, or the officer has a bad day, they may give you a hard time or even deny you- they have broad powers. So if you travel a lot, it is a good idea to bring "ties to home"; ie proof you will return home such as a rental agreement, proof of university enrollment for next term or a letter from the employer stating when you are expected back.

In my own case, when my now-husband was my boyfriend in the USA, I travelled a lot, often only for a long weekend when I could get a cheap flight. One October I'd been in the US 5 times that year (for a total of less than 8 weeks), and got stopped at the airport and taken into secondary inspection. Interviewed for an hour, they looked through my bags etc. Told me to be careful if I wanted to travel more often, and rather than the usual 90 days only stamped my passport for a day longer than my return flight 6 days later. I travelled .again for Christmas, nervous, brought lots pf ties to home... and they barely glanced at my passport that time/

You get 90 days on the visa waiver btw, which isn't always 3 months.

Advertisement