Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

closamectin after bayticol question

• 03-06-2012 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

when I bought the bullocks a few weeks back/month now. . i put Bayticol-pour-on on before i let them out.

its for red water, and has always always been used on any animal that has been on the land, and find it good.

thing is, i see them now, and a lot of scratching and licking going on, as well as hoofing, (where they use the hoof to scratch under belly/neck) and head shaking.

I used closamectin on the previous cattle, and thought it done great, but that was used last sept/oct (winter herd).

can I use closamectin in this case? and if so, how long should i leave the bayticol before pouring on the closamectin,

by all means, if there is something else product wise i should try, mention it, as all thoughts welcome.

appreciate all the help here and grateful for it.

ps, that bullock that was under the weather is now out fighting with any animal that gets in his way. . :rolleyes: seems to be back to himself

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I got stuff of the vet for a heifer with red water last week i think imizol its called . Its an injection might be better than pour on lasts for bout a month , i dont think the pour on lasts that long for red water . Give your vet a shout he will have all the options anyhow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Useing closmectin is a waste of money first of all it is a fluke and worm injection it should kill any ticks that are present but it is very expensive.
    If you only want to kill the ticks use a generic ivermevtin product such as Bimectin, kilomec etc. You can buy 500m for 30 euro it will kill any ticks present and protect for 2 weeks. For a 500kg animal it will cost 60 cent. It is for worms but will also kill lice and ticks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

moy83 wrote: »
    I got stuff of the vet for a heifer with red water last week i think imizol its called . Its an injection might be better than pour on lasts for bout a month , i dont think the pour on lasts that long for red water . Give your vet a shout he will have all the options anyhow

for best results with Imizol it is best used after you have a case of red water ,

OP

you try young's sp pour on

http://www.magentadirect.ie/proddetail.php?prod=MVE0143&cat=22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

Useing closmectin is a waste of money first of all it is a fluke and worm injection it should kill any ticks that are present but it is very expensive.
    If you only want to kill the ticks use a generic ivermevtin product such as Bimectin, kilomec etc. You can buy 500m for 30 euro it will kill any ticks present and protect for 2 weeks. For a 500kg animal it will cost 60 cent. It is for worms but will also kill lice and ticks.

so pudsey, your saying that the closamectin pour on is just all brand/label, while the bimectin is the same thing. .

will i be covering everything with bimectin? this is an injection right? in to the neck i assume. id manage this as i injected the sick bullock the other day.

i need to learn more about all the different doeses etc . and the stuff for them. . .

I would probably need to start off by asking, what can my bullock which is 1yr old 350-400 kgs have? and whats the best all-in product to treat with? and of course without paying the brown thomas label price when there is the same thing for better value. ..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

There isn't one single product that does everything (worms, fluke, lice) completely effectively.
    Closamectin comes close.

The behaviour of the animals sound like lice but.... lice are usually not active this time of the year.....and the Bayticol should have controlled them.

Maybe it's something else??

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

so pudsey, your saying that the closamectin pour on is just all brand/label, while the bimectin is the same thing. .

will i be covering everything with bimectin? this is an injection right? in to the neck i assume. id manage this as i injected the sick bullock the other day.

i need to learn more about all the different doeses etc . and the stuff for them. . .

I would probably need to start off by asking, what can my bullock which is 1yr old 350-400 kgs have? and whats the best all-in product to treat with? and of course without paying the brown thomas label price when there is the same thing for better value. ..

From the discription you gave i presumed that you suspected ticks. A ivermectin product will kill as I posted above these are for worms,lice and ticks.

Closmectin is a fluke and worm treatment it contains ivermectin and closntal which is the came as a ivermectin and flukiver combined it costs about 5-6 euro/500kg animal. They claim it is suitable form 4 weeks after housing however from other posts on boards alot of people are unhappy wiyh it. Useing Flukiver/generic ivermectin costs about 2.6/500 kg animal. so it works out much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

Guys be careful giving advice.

TICKS ARE NOT KILLED BY IVERMECTINS or any Fluke/ worm dose.

Bayticol Pour on kills ticks, only licensed product.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

Don't take your dosing advice off this forum without checking it first with your vet/chemist.
    Bimectin is a generic ivermectin (ivomec) it kills worms and sucking lice only. You need to also use a flukicide eg Trodax, Flukiver or a drench for fluke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

greysides wrote: »
    There isn't one single product that does everything (worms, fluke, lice) completely effectively.
    Closamectin comes close.

The behaviour of the animals sound like lice but.... lice are usually not active this time of the year.....and the Bayticol should have controlled them.

Maybe it's something else??

this is a photo

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/441241/207246.jpg

op posted in another thread, I thought that animal was showing sings of mange hence I mentioned Pour on sp

would mange be an issue at this time of year?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mange is not a common 'problem' in cattle and if it were I would expect it to be during the winter.

I see what I believe is Chorioptic mange ocassionally in cows, often dairy, during the winter. It is mild and usually around the tailhead, or vulva.

The reason I'm not sure is it has never been a problem that needed to be sorted.

If I am correct in what I 'think' I'm seeing in that photo, on the neck, it could possibly be ringworm.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
Advertisement