Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Health & Performance Science, UCD. Help??

• 03-06-2012 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Thinking of doing this as a back door into Physiotherapy, but I'm not even sure if that's possible!
    Would appreciate any info about this course?
    Would love to go to Dublin. Have Carlow as my second option and I know I will be able to do Physio from that but I would rather go to Dublin.
    Please share any info you have!
    Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

You can get into graduate entry physiotherapy:
    Graduate Entry: Applicants who will hold a level 8 honours degree in any discipline by June 2012 are welcome to apply for entry to Stage 1 (First Year) of the BSc Physiotherapy programme. Graduates with an Honours Bachelors degree in a Biomedical, Exercise or Health Science discipline may be considered for entry to Stage 2 (Second Year) of the BSc Physiotherapy programme if they can demonstrate equivalence with Stage 1 of the programme on the basis of UCD Policy on Accreditation of Prior Learning.
    Applicants will be ranked on the basis of:
    Academic Ability (Honours Bachelor’s degree [NFQ Level 8] at the minimum level of 2.2). Transcript of degree and final award should be submitted;
    Science Subject (a minimum C3 grade in Leaving Certificate Higher level or equivalent);
    Motivation and Interest (a personal statement outlining their motivation to studying physiotherapy which conforms to the UCD personal statement template available on www.ucd.ie/myucd/mature).
    Applicants must indicate clearly that they wish to apply for the graduate entry pathway;
    References (three letters of recommendation: academic, work experience, and one other).
    Shortlisted applicants may be required to attend for interview. Please note that tuition fees will apply for this course.

https://myucd.ucd.ie/program.do?programID=20

I don't know which if any undergrad course is best to do, but it does say in there that graduates from health or performance science may be considered for entry to 2nd year, and the UCD course is both of those so I'd say it's a good course to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

BridgetRB wrote: »
    Thinking of doing this as a back door into Physiotherapy, but I'm not even sure if that's possible!
    Would appreciate any info about this course?
    Would love to go to Dublin. Have Carlow as my second option and I know I will be able to do Physio from that but I would rather go to Dublin.
    Please share any info you have!
    Thanks! :)

why are you doing an entire degree just to get the chance to start another one and have to pay huge sums for it. just study for the leaving cert and get the points for physio if that's what you want to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

why are you doing an entire degree just to get the chance to start another one and have to pay huge sums for it. just study for the leaving cert and get the points for physio if that's what you want to do.

Not always that easy. What wrong with having a back up plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BridgetRB

Thanks for the info :)
    I have been studying, but the points for Physiotherapy are about 550 this year as far as I know...Not exactly easy points to get. Nothing wrong with doing a few extra years in College...

After doing a course like that, you do another 2/3 years, it's not that bad...It's one year less if you get Physiotherapy directly. If you want something bad enough, you'll do what you have to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

BridgetRB wrote: »
    After doing a course like that, you do another 2/3 years, it's not that bad...It's one year less if you get Physiotherapy directly. If you want something bad enough, you'll do what you have to!

I like your attitude! I just finished Health & Performance Science and going back to UCD in Sept to do Physio. I didn't get the points for physio but in hindsight I'm kinda glad, I loved my course! It opened my eyes to a lot of areas within the health/sporting industry but physio has been what I've always wanted to do.

As of 2011/2012 you can enter 2nd year of the BSc Physio as a Post-grad which lasts 3yrs. As of 2012/2013 there is an MSc Physio course lasting 2yrs.

Best of luck with your exams!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭rhonda15

Please read this post and article if you are interested in physiotherapy as a career.

Always good to get diverse opinions.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79318076

http://ezinearticles.com/?Physiotherapy---Good-Or-Bad-Career-Choice?&id=2846928

rhonda15 wrote: »
    Please read this post and article if you are interested in physiotherapy as a career.

Always good to get diverse opinions.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79318076

http://ezinearticles.com/?Physiotherapy---Good-Or-Bad-Career-Choice?&id=2846928

^Thanks for that... -_- Can't be that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

How does 550 stack up in terms of grades?

The max is what 600? So 550 is what 1 A1 and 5 A2's and even then are you guaranteed a place?

No idea about the back door but the H&P Science may open other doors.

Key advice is follow your dreams!

• Advertisement

The Guvnor wrote: »
    How does 550 stack up in terms of grades?

The max is what 600? So 550 is what 1 A1 and 5 A2's and even then are you guaranteed a place?

No idea about the back door but the H&P Science may open other doors.

Key advice is follow your dreams!

Thanks! Yeah, its not exactly easy.

Advertisement