Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 1 question

• 03-06-2012 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question I was wondering about today. If one of the part B questions is a speech, is there anything stopping you doing a longer speech then as the composition? Like, for example, the 2009 paper:

Text 2 part B: "Write a short speech in which you attempt to persuade a group of parents that older teenagers should be trusted to make their own decisions."

Composition: "Write a persuasive speech in praise of science and technology."

I can't think of any reason why you couldn't do the two but just making sure it's not sort of frowned upon or something. Probably a stupid question but thought I'd ask anyway :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

leaveiton wrote: »
    Just a quick question I was wondering about today. If one of the part B questions is a speech, is there anything stopping you doing a longer speech then as the composition? Like, for example, the 2009 paper:

Text 2 part B: "Write a short speech in which you attempt to persuade a group of parents that older teenagers should be trusted to make their own decisions."

I can't think of any reason why you couldn't do the two but just making sure it's not sort of frowned upon or something. Probably a stupid question but thought I'd ask anyway :pac:
    Absolutely not! :P Whatever you're most comfortable with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I cant see why there would be, people will do it and they've given the choice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Yeah I really couldn't imagine why not, just sort of one of those last minute panic things I suppose :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Just to invade your thread leaveiton, sorry :P

What do people think of maybe having 4/5 storylines premediated for the short story option? Not essays or anything like that, but just scenarios and settings and that just to have incase the opportunity arose to fit one in somewhere? I was thinking of trying to get nice descriptions etc. for :
    • Love- Scene of love etc.
    • War
    • Traumatic Event
    • Something Supernatual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

Be careful on this one.

My teacher warned my class about that. She said when it comes to speeches and the like, which come up in both QB and the composition part- not to do both. It comes across like you can only do one type of question- it depends on the examiner but you could lose marks.

My advice if you're really good at speeches do the speech in the composition, and do something different in QB (radio speech, interview?) as obviously the composition is worth a large chunk of your percentage, you wouldn't want to lose out.

I know some people will rubbish this comment but just watch out- you need to show you're versatile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

What do people think of maybe having 4/5 storylines premediated for the short story option? Not essays or anything like that, but just scenarios and settings and that just to have incase the opportunity arose to fit one in somewhere?
    [/LIST]

It is a good idea, especially if you are prone to mental blocks when doing creative writing. I have about three scenarios prepared for the short story. If they don't fit in, well, it's gonna be an adventurous paper ;)

silversky wrote: »
    Be careful on this one.

My teacher warned my class about that. She said when it comes to speeches and the like, which come up in both QB and the composition part- not to do both. It comes across like you can only do one type of question- it depends on the examiner but you could lose marks.

My advice if you're really good at speeches do the speech in the composition, and do something different in QB (radio speech, interview?) as obviously the composition is worth a large chunk of your percentage, you wouldn't want to lose out.

I know some people will rubbish this comment but just watch out- you need to show you're versatile.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'd be afraid of! I'm going to avoid doing both if possible anyway, I actually prefer personal essays but if the speech title suits me better I tend to do that. I was just wondering in case I was stuck with a situation where nothing but a speech in part B and a speech in the composition suited me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

What do people think of maybe having 4/5 storylines premediated for the short story option? Not essays or anything like that, but just scenarios and settings and that just to have incase the opportunity arose to fit one in somewhere? I was thinking of trying to get nice descriptions etc. for :
    • Love- Scene of love etc.
    • War
    • Traumatic Event
    • Something Supernatual?

It's better not to have any prepared. It'd be. easier to spontaneously write in the place of trying to remember what happens next in a story you have prewritten.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again, Freshness is paramount to Purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

ChemHickey wrote: »
    It's better not to have any prepared. It'd be. easier to spontaneously write in the place of trying to remember what happens next in a story you have prewritten.

But at the same time, if you have a complete mental block and you have a plot thought up before, it could save you.

I'd say don't have an essay learnt off but having a few different plots prepared, just in case, won't go against you. (In my opinion. :P)

But at the same time, if you have a complete mental block and you have a plot thought up before, it could save you.

I'd say don't have an essay learnt off but having a few different plots prepared, just in case, won't go against you. (In my opinion. :P)

Haha I agree as well!!

I don't count this as hypocrisy, more of a really annoying idea in my mind that won't leave me alone... I do have a storyline in my head... but not on purpose!! I swear! It just won't leave my brain! And i'm more worried that if it doesn't fit my brain will probably just go

Hey, that was a waste of an idea

and then just go into meltdown...

I hope it fits...

#Kind-of-a-Hypocrite

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭dovahkiin

Just because you sound smart by saying it doesn't make it true, I'm naturally good and English but couldn't be arsed learning essays off, it's more than likely there's some clown in the institute with no hands and crippling dyslexia who'll do better than me because he learned ****e off.

dovahkiin wrote: »

Just because you sound smart by saying it doesn't make it true, I'm naturally good and English but couldn't be arsed learning essays off, it's more than likely there's some clown in the institute with no hands and crippling dyslexia who'll do better than me because he learned ****e off.

Cool story bro, tell it again?

If you post something stupid expect to get called out on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Seriously, there's no need to be so antagonistic. We're all stressed about the exams and it's really unnecessary.

How was it stupid, I ask?

Probably inappropriate but I pissed myself laughing at this part.

finality wrote: »
    Seriously, there's no need to be so antagonistic. We're all stressed about the exams and it's really unnecessary.

Why does everyone here have such thin skin? Not everyone is going to agree with you all the time.
    How was it stupid, I ask?

People learn essays off by heart and do well all the time, places like the IOE are built on that principle, of course it's possible to do well by making it up on the day but your little aphorism over simplifies the situation.
    Probably inappropriate but I pissed myself laughing at this part.

Glad someone here appreciates me

Why does everyone here have such thin skin? Not everyone is going to agree with you all the time.

Lol I've used that exact line myself in the past. A little diplomacy goes a long way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

yeah i wondered the same thing myself, the examiner might frown upon it but at the same time i don't think they're meant to because they have to mark the question you write for what it is, they can't deduct marks because it's your second speech, the option is there to do both so there's no reason why you can't :D

finality wrote: »
    Lol I've used that exact line myself in the past. A little diplomacy goes a long way though.

I appreciate that but my way is more fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Actually you look stupid and no one's laughing, but if that floats your boat, go for it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

People learn essays off by heart and do well all the time, places like the IOE are built on that principle, of course it's possible to do well by making it up on the day but your little aphorism over simplifies the situation.

Since when have the IOE ever done that? I know 2 people in it who do honours English ( and did a revision course there myself) and the IOE in no way hand out sample essays for people to learn by heart. The IOE are certainly not built on that principal at all, and I highly doubt you've ever actually been there to back up such a ridiculous statement.

Some people. :rolleyes:

I JUST WANTED TO ASK A QUESTION :(

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Actually you look stupid and no one's laughing, but if that floats your boat, go for it. :)

What if I only look stupid to stupid people?
    Wesc. wrote: »
    Since when have the IOE ever done that? I know 2 people in it who do honours English ( and did a revision course there myself) and the IOE in no way hand out sample essays for people to learn by heart. The IOE are certainly not built on that principal at all, and I highly doubt you've ever actually been there to back up such a ridiculous statement.

Some people. :rolleyes:

Let's all highlight random words so it looks like we have points to make

Let's all highlight random words so it looks like we have points to make

You're still wrong...

What if I only look stupid to stupid people?

Yay we're in primary school again :D

Wesc. wrote: »
    You're still wrong...

I know three people that go there who are all learning things off

3>2 I win

I know three people that go there who are all learning things off

3>2 I win

Ah ok, so because 3 of your friends who go there are learning off essays indicates that the whole place is based on that principal? I guess that makes more sense to me now when you put it into that perspective... Funny because they don't even give them out sample essays to learn off. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I couldn't be arsed talking to you so I'm going to stop at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

So what if they learn things off. It's a foolproof way of getting marks if the question shows up. You don't want to do it? Fine. I'll redirect you to your "CRYING" thread :pac:

• Advertisement

So what if they learn things off. It's a foolproof way of getting marks if the question shows up. You don't want to do it? Fine. I'll redirect you to your "CRYING" thread :pac:

I haven't said anything against learning things, if anything I'm defending it. Give the thread another read there, might be good practice for Wednesday

Advertisement