Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 1 question

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Clearly trolling like :L :L just ignore him

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

dovahkiin wrote: »
    Just because you sound smart by saying it doesn't make it true, I'm naturally good and English but couldn't be arsed learning essays off, it's more than likely there's some clown in the institute with no hands and crippling dyslexia who'll do better than me because he learned ****e off.

Douche

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

For features of an authors style, in A questions, could people throw me out a few key words? Under informative persuasive narrative and argumentative headings I guess!
    Like in those sort of questions would they be looking for things like repetition, facts, imagery, quotes etc.?
    None of my notes have specific traits for the genres!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

jmclee wrote: »
    For features of an authors style, in A questions, could people throw me out a few key words? Under informative persuasive narrative and argumentative headings I guess!
    Like in those sort of questions would they be looking for things like repetition, facts, imagery, quotes etc.?
    Was just about to ask the same thing. I'm not sure what i'm suppose to look for when they ask about Author's aspects of style- I only got 14/20 in this question for the Mocks, does anyone have any idea of the stuff I should try and look for when asked this question?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

This is all my teacher gave us.
    • Informative-Simple,clear,facts
    • Argument-Logic,facts,stats,contrast(undermining the opposite sides argument)
    • Persuasive-Humour,exaggeration,play on emotions
    • Narration-Suspense,entertaining,unpredictable
    • Aesthetic-Word choice,sensual(visual, smell etc),onomatopeaia
    Hope thats some help :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Informative would use facts, statistics, and would be very objective, no bias.

Argumentative appeals to the head, again would use facts and statistics to back up a point, and tries to convince the reader of one point of view.

Persuasive is similar to argumentative but appeals more to the heart, it's more open to using emotions and anecdotes to persuade people one way or another.

I'm never really sure of narrative but I suppose it'd be anything that sounds like a story, like an extract from a book rather than an article. There you could mention imagery, narration, that kind of thing.

Don't forget about the aesthetic use of language either, which sort of overlaps with all genres but particularly narration. That'd be things like alliteration, description, imagery.

There are lots of things that aren't exclusive to any one genre - if the author is using a lot of imagery in an argumentative piece, mention that. If you notice that the author has a very light-hearted style, you can say that too. I think it's better to look at the piece itself and see what you notice about that rather than trying to make it fit under the headings of information, narration, argument or persuasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

For essays on paper 1, should we use appropriate layouts? For example should an article have a headline? And should a guide have different headings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

dovahkiin wrote: »
    Just because you sound smart by saying it doesn't make it true, I'm naturally good and English but couldn't be arsed learning essays off, it's more than likely there's some clown in the institute with no hands and crippling dyslexia who'll do better than me because he learned ****e off.

Ha, you forgot the copious amounts of money their parents had to throw about. When all they really have to do is sit down and read a few books. Sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

silversky wrote: »
    Ha, you forgot the copious amounts of money their parents had to throw about. When all they really have to do is sit down and read a few books. Sorted.

I'm rich, live in Blackrock, go to the institue, buy extra notes, and learn essays off by heart. I've also never read a book.

You mad bro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

I'm rich, live in Blackrock, go to the institue, buy extra notes, and learn essays off by heart. I've also never read a book.

You mad bro?

Yes, apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

What's everyones time plan for paper 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

silversky wrote: »
    Be careful on this one.

My teacher warned my class about that. She said when it comes to speeches and the like, which come up in both QB and the composition part- not to do both. It comes across like you can only do one type of question- it depends on the examiner but you could lose marks.

My advice if you're really good at speeches do the speech in the composition, and do something different in QB (radio speech, interview?) as obviously the composition is worth a large chunk of your percentage, you wouldn't want to lose out.

I know some people will rubbish this comment but just watch out- you need to show you're versatile.

This is wrong. There are no marks for 'versatility' in any marking scheme I have ever seen in years of marking.

Do two speeches if you want.

Advertisement