Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crucial m4 128gb vs samsung 830 120gb

Options
  • 03-06-2012 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

im about to buy my 1st ssd, i will be using it on a sata 2 motherboard for now but hopefully in a month or 2 i will have a sata 3 motherboard. which 1 of this ssd's should i get.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

They are both very close, and either one is a good deal no matter what. The 830 is slightly better but usually slightly more expensive. If you can get them for the same price, grab the 830, if the M4 is €5 cheaper or more get that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Both are 128GB btw ;)

I'd also say the 830 depending on price, it's a little bit faster and a lot shinier.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

€108.91 for the m4 and €123.76 for the sammy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Surfn wrote: »
    €108.91 for the m4 and €123.76 for the sammy

I'd go with the M4 then, the 830 isn't worth €15 more.

cheers lads, i think i will go for the m4 then. id say probably in a day to day use you probably wouldnt notice the bit of extra speed the sammy has compaired to the m4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

i have the Samsung and it is blisteringly fast really incredable , how much better than the M4 it is i dont know but it has beaten it in every review ive seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

If you didn't buy one yet dabs are doing the samsung for €99.
    Insanely cheap at that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Sholden

54kroc wrote: »
    If you didn't buy one yet dabs are doing the samsung for €99.
    Insanely cheap at that price.

Gone up again. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

That's my fault it €99.98, not €99.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I saw that SSD for €99 earlier, it's €123 now, what gives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

got my samsung 830 for the exact same price as the m4 on dabs 2 weeks ago, good thing i baught it when i did =]

i pulled the trigger on the m4 for €108.91. knowing my luck it will be €80 nexk week, always the way

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

This ssd price drop is so damn tempting!!!! Must resist!!!! Must not enter credit card details!!!! 2479 ...no!!!!!!!!!

cant wait to get the ssd now to put the OS on it, this is my 1st ssd i know im only using a sata 2 motherboard but hopefully will be much faster than samsung 1tb drive. can any 1 give a few tips on setting the ssd up. is there things i need to enable and diasble in the OS to make it run better

Surfn wrote: »
    i just changed my order there, swapped the m4 for the sammy drive, its down from €123 to €113

It's 99.98 on that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

In real world tests they are very very close but the Samsung would be the one I would go for. Enjoy!

Sholden wrote: »
    It's 99.98 on that link.
    yup but for some reason when you go to checkout it bumps back up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

where can i get some cheap mounting brackets for ssds
    so far the only ssd that came with one was the intel 330 ssd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

where can i get some cheap mounting brackets for ssds
    Check out this at MemoryC.com, it's free delivery too;
    http://www.memoryc.com/storage/hddaccessories/neonadapterbracketsfor25inchssdhdd.html

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

just ordered a 128G 830 for €101.26 from dabs, it's the laptop version though so has a USB to SATA adaptor rather than the 2.5->3.5 mount, screws & cables.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/samsung-128gb-830-series-sata-6gb-s-2-5--ssd-laptop-kit---free-norton-ghost-15-7SR9.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

there's a thread in bargain alerts at the minute with the 256gb one going really cheap on amazon.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056669836

awesome drive for the price, not sure if i can resist it for much longer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Got the 256GB from Amazon myself (worked out at €182 with the Irish VAT) and the 128GB from Dabs.ie at €99.98 (for some reason the email link from a few days ago worked fine for me rather than jumping back to €123). Can't wait to install them in my fresh build, as I've been using a 500GB HDD as my boot drive and it has been painful...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

its really hard to go hack to a regular sluggish hdd after getting used to a nice speedy ssd. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

vibe666 wrote: »
    its really hard to go hack to a regular sluggish hdd after getting used to a nice speedy ssd. :)

Oh I know :). I've had an 80GB Intel SSD in my MacBook for a couple of years now but just built a gaming PC again a couple of months back. Couldn't stretch to the SSD up to now but it's for the best given the prices of the Samsung 830s at the moment!

Advertisement