Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plane crash kills 153 people in Lagos, Nigeria

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

It may be safer than driving, but at least with driving you have a good chance of escaping with your life.
    Like in the event of a crash?

That's not very reassuring at all!

Given the choice I'd prefer to be in a car crash rather than a plane crash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

???

WHY?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Pantsface wrote: »
    ???

WHY?

Better chance of survival, I presume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

Same here,

:) But did you know that the probability of being involved in an airplane accident are only 1 in 11 million. However, the chances of dying in a car crash are actually 1 in 5000. This means that you are at a greater risk driving to and from the airport than you are once you make your flight.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

realies wrote: »
    Same here,

:) But did you know that the probability of being involved in an airplane accident are only 1 in 11 million. However, the chances of dying in a car crash are actually 1 in 5000. This means that you are at a greater risk driving to and from the airport than you are once you make your flight.:p

Yeah but you still may possibly walk away with your life in a car crash, plane crashes are too gory and messy. I just havent got the time for that kinda thing:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

McDonnell Douglas really were the ultimate in danger aircraft. Dozens of these aircraft have crashed and claimed hundreds of lives through the years. I would refuse to fly on an MD aircraft, Boeing took them over and wound them down. The cargo plane than crashed into a Bus was over 30 years old and an old Boeing relic.

As a rule when I fly I pay the extra few shekels and fly with a safe airline. Ryanair are low-cost but high on safety plus their fleet is amongst the youngest in the world. Most European carriers, the big 3 in the gulf (Etihad, Qatar and Emirates), North American, some Asian and Australian airlines are perfectly safe.

I prefer Airbus over Boeing Aircraft as they have better safety records, Boeing 747's and Boeing 737's have killed more people than even those McDonnell deathtraps.

Small start up airlines using old aircraft should be avoided. Flying is perfectly safe and will always be the safest form of travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

He's pricing them out of the market.
    We're the ones who suffer, I'd rather pay a bit extra and not die I think...

Ryan Air are very safe in fairness to them yes, but if they ever do have a crash that's a lot of shares being sold.
    I highly doubt that Irish prices and Ryan Air affect the quality of domestic airlines in third world countries such as Nigeria. These airlines are poorly organised and have very lax safety regulations.

Yeah but you still may possibly walk away with your life in a car crash, plane crashes are too gory and messy. I just havent got the time for that kinda thing:pac:

But with a plane crash its bang! GONE

Car crashes, yikes - you can die roaring

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

But your not falling from thousands of feet in a car! even the whole atmosphere on airplanes are just creepy. I dont think I'll ever think differently :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

???

WHY?
    About 860 km/h speed difference.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    About 860 km/h speed difference.

Aye, but doesn't the lack of oxegen kill you first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Mad bipedal primates flying around in metal tubes at 500mph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,450 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yeah but nobody hijacks your car and crashes it into the top of the Twin Towers.

Yeah but nobody hijacks your car and crashes it into the top of the Twin Towers.

Nope, but not that long ago here, in this country, some liked to plant bombs under them.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

African airline's safety regulations are always gonna be a bit low, but Kenya stop them? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Stinicker wrote: »
    I prefer Airbus over Boeing Aircraft as they have better safety records, Boeing 747's and Boeing 737's have killed more people than even those McDonnell deathtraps.
    Boeing 747's and 737's have an impeccable safety record considering the number of them about, one 737 takes off every 5 minutes from somewhere around the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

For example, years ago pilots were better trained.

Teddy, do you know ANYTHING about the intricacies of aviation? Airlines don't train pilots, pilots train themselves using their own money. It's always been like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Confab wrote: »
    Teddy, do you know ANYTHING about the intricacies of aviation? Airlines don't train pilots, pilots train themselves using their own money. It's always been like this.
    I thought Air Lingus used to take on pilots from the Air Core though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,450 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nope, but not that long ago here, in this country, some liked to plant bombs under them.

They did that to planes too i.e. Air India.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Aye, but doesn't the lack of oxegen kill you first?
    Not really, no. If the plane depressurises that might be an issue, but even then they have those nice oxygen masks that pop down automatically, ensuring you will arrive awake and sober at your destination. If you were to be popped out of a plane at normal height you can take cold comfort in the fact that you would likely be a frozen ball of ice long before you hit the ground though.

Enjoy your flight!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I would be very wary of taking an internal flight in Africa as the continent has a very shabby air safety record - poorly trained pilots, poorly maintained and/or old aircraft, poor navigation equipment at airports and general sloppiness and corruption.

Indeed it's a wonder that Africa doesn't have fatal air crashes more often.

Flying is very safe. There are some types of airplane that have a less than comfortable safety record and that includes the McDonnell Douglas airplanes like the DC8, DC10 and MD80 and some Russian makes.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Not really, no. If the plane depressurises that might be an issue, but even then they have those nice oxygen masks that pop down automatically, ensuring you will arrive awake and sober at your destination. If you were to be popped out of a plane at normal height you can take cold comfort in the fact that you would likely be a frozen ball of ice long before you hit the ground though.

Enjoy your flight!

:D

[QUOTE=JupiterKid;79015315]I would be very wary of taking an internal flight in Africa and the continent has a very shabby air safetly record - poorly trained pilots, poorly maintained and/or old aircraft, poor navigation equipment at airports and general sloppiness and corruption.

Indeed it's a wonder that Africa doesn't have fatal air crashes more often.

Flying is very safe. There are some types of airplane that have a less than comfortable safetly record and that includes the McDonnell Douglas airplanes like the DC8, DC10 and MD80 and some Russian makes.[/QUOTE]

Me too!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

But plane crashes can last for minutes or longer sometimes, ie, you know theres an emergency happening, and there's not a single thing you can do about it accept pray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

irish-stew wrote: »
    But plane crashes can last for minutes or longer sometimes, ie, you know theres an emergency happening, and there's not a single thing you can do about it accept pray.
    this, exactly.
    That's what I would be afraid of.
    I've often though that in this situation I'd prefer to just take a cyanide pill and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

God, what a way to go, one of my worst fears.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

dreadful most people dont survive plane crashes i cannot even imagine the last few mins/seconds of horror rip to those involved..

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

PS- Don't tell people to cop on or what to do, ever! It's the height of rudeness.
    You can agree or disagree with me.

What is this?

They're not allowed to rightfully tell someone to cop on because its 'rude'?

stop.

Advertisement