Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pepper/Chilli free curry

Options
  • 03-06-2012 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Hi there :) I'm looking to make a really nice, not too spicy chicken curry for my mother but I have one major problem, she is extremely allergic to any peppers or chillis or anything that is derived from these such as paprika. I know its a long shot but does anyone have a recepie that won't involve these? thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

There's this thread: http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/food/745707-Chilli-free-curry-recipes/AllOnOnePage

She's your mum so you know her allergies best so I don't need to tell you to be really careful, or tell you that the internet isn't the greatest place to take solid advice from!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

here is a nice simple korma recipe, mild and pepper free!

Indian Korma

1 clove of garlic finely chopped
    ½” knob of ginger finely chopped
    1 star anais
    1 stick of cinnamon
    300g coursely chopped onion
    ½ tsp salt
    500ml chicken stock
    2 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp cumin powder
    1 tsp coriander powder
    ½ tsp garam masala
    3 tbs ground almond
    3 tbs coconut cream (from a block)
    1tbs sugar
    100ml cream

Heat 2tbs of oil in a pan with high sides. Add the ginger, garlic, star anais and cinnamon stick and fry for a minute. Add the onions and salt, sauté for 5 mins. Add the stock and then all the remaining ingredients except the cream. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins.
    Remove the star anais and cinnamon stick and turn off the heat. blend the contents to a smooth sauce. Stir in the cream to finish and serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Nice recipe CA. I'd just be concerned that there may be chili in the garam masala. It probably would not be too big a deal for the OP to leave it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Nice recipe CA. I'd just be concerned that there may be chili in the garam masala. It probably would not be too big a deal for the OP to leave it out.

there is usually no chilli in garam masala although recipes do vary :)
    there is black peppercorns though but only a very small amount per volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Tesco Garam Masala ingredients:

Cumin Seeds
    Fennel Seeds
    Ginger
    Dill
    Clove
    Celery seed.

I usually make my own from this recipe but it does contain peppercorns

http://www.ochef.com/r75.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

That recipe sounds great sounds great :) I love kormas but there's usually some form of chilli or pepper in the jar sauces, I might cook that for her birthday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

That is a good recipe :)

If I was making it into a chicken curry,Id grill a chicken breast and serve the sauce over it. Some naans and rice and bobs your uncle :)

Advertisement