Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Question About LC Poetry

• 03-06-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22

If you were asked in a question to talk about a certain poets style or what you admire about their poetry and then used that to compare to another poet would you be docked marks for doing so?
    For example, if I were to talk about adrienne rich and how I admire how she was such a feminist in a difficult time just as I admire Plaths openess and honesty about her depression and feelings of inadequacy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

I'd say you can mention them in passing, but I wouldn't dedicate too much time to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Caffman wrote: »
    If you were asked in a question to talk about a certain poets style or what you admire about their poetry and then used that to compare to another poet would you be docked marks for doing so?
    For example, if I were to talk about adrienne rich and how I admire how she was such a feminist in a difficult time just as I admire Plaths openess and honesty about her depression and feelings of inadequacy?

If it's only a short reference, eg a sentence, then no, but if you write about both equally, then you'll be penalized heavily.

in my rich essay, I've a sentence contrasting her to both boland and Plath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 Caffman

ChemHickey wrote: »
    If it's only a short reference, eg a sentence, then no, but if you write about both equally, then you'll be penalized heavily.

alright thanks!
    Would it be worth doing though, like would it earn you any marks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭dovahkiin

Yeah, this is totally frowned upon, read the chief 'xaminer's report on examinations.ie

'if the candidate has the audacity to mention another poet in their prescribed poetry answer they are immediately docked 10 marks per offence, continued mention will warrant cancellation of said students exam, blatant ignorance of this rule will result in a five ban of all state exams'

Caffman wrote: »
    ChemHickey wrote: »

alright thanks!
    Would it be worth doing though, like would it earn you any marks?

It could earn you marks! showing your ability to differentiate between two poets etc. It won't dock you marks as far as I know. It fills lines too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I dunno, I can't imagine it getting you any more marks, if anything I could see it going against you in terms of Purpose.

leaveiton wrote: »
    I dunno, I can't imagine it getting you any more marks, if anything I could see it going against you in terms of Purpose.

Well if purpose was to distiguish the main theme of her poetry, it would be handy to isolate her, show she is not one of the crowd, not a Boland or a Plath, but a concrete Feminist with a desire to be heard,

I feel more helpless with you than without[...] your dry heat feels like power

I quite like Rich.... even though I'm male...

Advertisement