Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decided on your course yet?

• 03-06-2012 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Hey lads. :)

I was just wondering, have most of you decided on your courses yet? I know I know, I should just be focusing on studying for the actual exams, but I can't help wonder about what course I'll end up in after.

I'm personally torn between Undenom Science in NUIG and Arts in NUIG. :( I love learning about people and society and history, so subjects like psychology, sociology and politics, geography, history, philosophy etc all appeal to me. I also love science though. Do biology at HL and physics at OL and do fairly well at them. Not sure what I'll end up in really. :P

Was just wondering if many of you guys are in the same situation as me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

Maths in Trinity, heart set on it for the whole year now :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm doing Civil Law and Economics in NUIM. I'm going to do Chinese as my second elective subject though! It's going to be savage! Apparently the Chinese classes are teeny (10-20 people) and the boy and girl who get the top results in 1st year Summer Exams get a full paid scholarship to go to college in China in 3rd year! :D That'd be such an amazing opportunity!

So yeah, Civil Law, Economics and Chinese in NUIM! Such a funny combination i've been told :pac:

Sooooooooooo excited :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Undecided between Journalism in DCU, or Arts in Maynooth/UCD. As much as I actually love media, writing and the likes of English, and I've wanted to study Journalism for years.. I'm thinking Arts to study English and Geography because I love them, very unsure atm :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

No.fúcking.clue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

It's going to be savage!

I haven't heard that phrase in so long lol. Why did people stop using it? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I have a friend that wants to do maths in Trinity too actually. :) Not my thing, but I bet it's a brilliant course.

And good luck Pictureframe! There isn't a chance you won't get it with all the work you put in. What are the points like for that anyway? Also China looks amazing, I'd love to travel during my college years so that'd be an amazing opportunity for you!

Awh, I'm quite glad some people have what they wanted to do sorted out, gives me that happy warm fuzzy feeling inside. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

The one I have my heart set on is European Business and French in DCU, I'll be gutted if I dont do well enough for it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Martin_94 wrote: »
    I haven't heard that phrase in so long lol. Why did people stop using it? :confused:
    We use it down in the bog where i'm from (Longford, drew with Wexford today wheyyyy)

And good luck Pictureframe! There isn't a chance you won't get it with all the work you put in. What are the points like for that anyway? Also China looks amazing, I'd love to travel during my college years so that'd be an amazing opportunity for you!

Thank you! I hope so! I need 500 to guarantee Accommodation, but 450 would get me the course! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cosmic.Postman

I'm so lost....I've been thinking maths in trinity because I love maths and it looks like such a good course, but I'd be afraid it'd be too much and I'd come to dislike it(I also don't do applied maths so that could be an issue possibly?). Then, on the other hand I'm really interested in all the other sciences so I was thinking undenominated in UCD...
    I just don't know...:(

I just realised, seeing a few of you guys who want to go to DCU, that I have never considered going to DCU before even though it is literally right up the road from me.

Instead I decide to go to the other side of the country to Galway. Typical me, anyway. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm so lost....I've been thinking maths in trinity because I love maths and it looks like such a good course, but I'd be afraid it'd be too much and I'd come to dislike it(I also don't do applied maths so that could be an issue possibly?). Then, on the other hand I'm really interested in all the other sciences so I was thinking undenominated in UCD...
    I just don't know...:(

Well, don't really know much about the course but if it makes you feel better my friend that is applying for math in Trinity doesn't do applied either. :) He does HL Physics and Maths, and he does really well in them. I think he usually gets high B's in them.

I've heard uni maths is a huge step up from secondary school maths, but if you really love maths then I'd go for it. :)

I'm not a fan of undenom in UCD personally because they seem to make you pick whether you want do do a biology, chemistry or maths/physics based degree at the start of first year? Sucks if you don't know exactly what you want to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Business information systems in Newcastle!
    This is the only course I want really the others aren't the same and I prefer the modules in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Music Technology in NUIM. Fell in love with course and campus, don't want anything else really! Can't f***in wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I've heard uni maths is a huge step up from secondary school maths, but if you really love maths then I'd go for it. :)

This is one of the main reasons I'm not going to do pure maths in college, I almost always get A1s in tests (98% minimum for all of fifth year) but I don't think I'm good enough for maths at university level.

99% sure about electronic and computer engineering in Trinity now, it's gonna be so much fun :D

finality wrote: »
    This is one of the main reasons I'm not going to do pure maths in college, I almost always get A1s in tests (98% minimum for all of fifth year) but I don't think I'm good enough for maths at university level.

99% sure about electronic and computer engineering in Trinity now, it's gonna be so much fun :D

98% minimum and you're not sure if you'd be good enough? Damn, maths is scary.

I know a few lads going into engineering (UCD though) and they all seem pretty ecstatic. :) Hope you get in!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭dovahkiin

David Beckham studies – Staffordshire University
    or
    Cyberfeminism at Cornell in the states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

finality wrote: »

I'm worried I won't be good enough at maths for college, but I hope something happens and I get really good with the college maths for some reason. =S

Anyway, Mathematical science in NUIG.

I could prob end up in app maths or stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

I've Biomedical Science in NUIG down as my No. 1, followed by Undenominated Science in NUIG too, but I really want Biomed and I'm going to be gutted if I don't get the points (515 last year). :( Just lost like 4 days of studying because of an accident right ahead of the Leaving, but I hope that the fact I've been studying all year long will pay off in the end. Really really really really really want Biomed though, if I don't get it I'll actually be sickened, the difference between me getting Biomed and just undem Science is massive. Out of curiousity how likely d'yous think it is that I could go up from 465 points in the mocks to 530ish?

Please tell me it's possible. :o :P

I've Biomedical Science in NUIG down as my No. 1, followed by Undenominated Science in NUIG too, but I really want Biomed and I'm going to be gutted if I don't get the points (515 last year). :( Just lost like 4 days of studying because of an accident right ahead of the Leaving, but I hope that the fact I've been studying all year long will pay off in the end. Really really really really really want Biomed though, if I don't get it I'll actually be sickened, the difference between me getting Biomed and just undem Science is massive. Out of curiousity how likely d'yous think it is that I could go up from 465 points in the mocks to 530ish?

Have you put in a bit of work since the mocks? Then it's definitely possible. Think of all the revision we have all gotten even just by showing up to class since the mocks. :)
    I'm personally hoping to bring a score of 290 up to 390 so with all that extra work I did + the million candles I plan to light in church on Tuesday I hope to get it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

I had Biomed down as my #1 but I took it off cus I didn't fully know what it entails and apparently there aren't many jobs :(. Anyway, I've got Biological and Chemical sciences in UCC as my first choice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Have you put in a bit of work since the mocks? Then it's definitely possible. Think of all the revision we have all gotten even just by showing up to class since the mocks. :)
    I'm personally hoping to bring a score of 290 up to 390 so with all that extra work I did + the million candles I plan to light in church on Tuesday I hope to get it. :P

Been pretty much flat out since the mocks (and working quite hard before them! :L), that's why I'll be gutted if I don't get it :P Sure I'll be lightin a candle myself for all the other LC'ers in the country haha, it's a hard time for us all!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

Nope haven't properly decided, really wish i had cos i'd have something to work towards. torn between primary teaching, irish and law in ucc, commerce with irish, bess, fashion and journalism :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Art and Design portfolio course in CTI in Waterford for a year (hopefully I get accepted!) and then Visual Communications either in WIT or CIT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

I'm looking to go up from 420 to around 530 so I sincerely hope so :pac: It all depends on the amount of work you've put in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Psychology in UCD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

I know what course I want, but I'm pretty sure my course doesn't want me. Oh, Medicine, why art thou so painful?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

General nursing in UCD :) It's about 4th on my CAO, but I'd be ecstatic if I got it! :) The other courses are just dreams :rolleyes: Plus the one above it is Children and General nursing in UCD so it wouldn't be too different, just more placements in childrens wards and learning about children!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I'm doing Civil Law and Economics in NUIM. I'm going to do Chinese as my second elective subject though! It's going to be savage! Apparently the Chinese classes are teeny (10-20 people) and the boy and girl who get the top results in 1st year Summer Exams get a full paid scholarship to go to college in China in 3rd year! :D That'd be such an amazing opportunity!

So yeah, Civil Law, Economics and Chinese in NUIM! Such a funny combination i've been told :pac:

Sooooooooooo excited :D

Yea that's such a strange combination, but when looking for employment different is good.

I'm an economics student in maynooth, it's great. Just make sure you forget everything that you learned in the leaving cert, as its all complete bull****.

I'm sure you'll hear Aedin (a main lecturer) complaining about how stupid the leaving cert curriculum is, a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

Siobhnk wrote: »
    General nursing in UCD :) It's about 4th on my CAO, but I'd be ecstatic if I got it! :) The other courses are just dreams :rolleyes: Plus the one above it is Children and General nursing in UCD so it wouldn't be too different, just more placements in childrens wards and learning about children!

And you get to spend most of your placement time in Crumlin chillin with the babies. Hope you get it, the course is really fun :)

(an -almost- 3rd year children's and general student in UCD)

• Advertisement
Advertisement