Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French? /:

• 03-06-2012 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Right, could anyone possibly tell me what kind of topics I should have covered for French (HL). Extremely weak at it, and I need atleast a C for a course I want.. /:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 wheelbarrow25

My French teacher told us to study the Olympics, voluntary work, racism, discrimination, drugs, road accidents and the role of men. She also said dont bother with emails/ formal letters and to focus on the diary.

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

Doping in Olympics
    Global warming
    Road traffic
    Fast foods/health
    Youth of today
    to name a few :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

There's another thread with some topics on it, but mainly things like racism, technology (just facebook, phones etc), fast food, underage drinking, drugs, sport, fashion, european union etc. They're probably in your book though and you can use some stuff from the oral too. You have to give your own opinion a lot and relate the topic to young people. Just look in the papers for ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I have the following prepared:
    Poverty in the third world
    Unemployment
    Homeless
    Emigration
    Inequalities
    Sport - doping
    - money
    - olympics
    - special olympics
    Men/Women
    Television
    Drugs

But too be honest I dont remember a phrase in any of them.
    Know a few general phrases, reference to the Q, don't write too much and should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

I have prepared:

Euro 2012
    Olympics
    Crime
    Alcohol
    Drugs
    Fashion
    TV
    Road accidents
    Racism
    Emigration
    Environment

Like biohaiid don't quite know the phrases off by heart but hopefully by the time the exam comes I'll know most of them:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Rebekahx

Okay, long story short is that my imbecile of a teacher abandoned us after the mocks, and has done 1 opinion piece with us since 5th year on the enviroment of all things. At this point I'm honestly relying on google translate for most of my essay points, so I was wondering if someone could PM some useful points on what is more than likely to come up? Not full essays like, just some good phrases for sport/obesity/drugs/racism etc. I can't offer you much unless you do music or classics or religion BUT I can offer prayers :o I would seriously love someone if they could help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Bit worried that I'm looking for an A1/A2 yet I've nothing prepared :p But I'd say go with discrimination, sport/olympics, the elderly, volunteer work, recession/emigration/poverty and loooooooads of generic **** for the journal intime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I've nothing really either.. I don't know how all you guys are going to get an A1/2, but you's are lucky I guess! :D I can't see myself getting any higher than a C2! /: then again I am like extremely weak at the writing, no problems with the reading or listening though (:

So would I be okay learning off some essays on the main topics, some vocab and sentences? And praying for the best of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I love French, it's my best subject. Got 83 in the mock. For the opinion pieces just learn off generic phrases too, especially ones that have the subjonctif in it. For example:

Il faut lutter contre ce problème avant qu'il soit trop tard - We must fight this problem before it's too late!

Il faut qu'on fasse de son mieux pour éviter les conséquences de ____. - We must do our best to avoid the consequences of _____.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I only got 44% haha (: fair play though, I actually love French just can't do it? :L
    Right, I'll learn off a few of them too.. You'd think with a teacher who is actually French I'd know even a bit more but no.. Hoping to pull it up to atleast a C3 (:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭siobhan93

My French teacher told us to study the Olympics, voluntary work, racism, discrimination, drugs, road accidents and the role of men. She also said dont bother with emails/ formal letters and to focus on the diary.

Hope that helps :)

Just wondering what can you write on the role of men?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

At this stage, my advice would be to prepare nothing. Just learn off general phrases that you can put into any essay, and work on diaries/e-mails too.

Rather, focus on mastering comprehensions and the listening section. It's much more easy to improve your listening skills than written skills in the space of a around 5 days, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jamiered81

Wesc. wrote: »
    At this stage, my advice would be to prepare nothing. Just learn off general phrases that you can put into any essay, and work on diaries/e-mails too.

Rather, focus on mastering comprehensions and the listening section. It's much more easy to improve your listening skills than written skills in the space of a around 5 days, in my opinion.
    How would you advise someone on improving in the comprehension? It's my weakest section and always drags me down. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭NinjaDucks

jamiered81 wrote: »
    How would you advise someone on improving in the comprehension? It's my weakest section and always drags me down. Thanks

If I was you, I'd practice, practice, practice past comprehensions and pick out ten or so new words from each and learn them. Obviously there's little time left, but compiling new vocabulary lists and revising old ones if you have any is a great help (: bonne chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

jamiered81 wrote: »

The exact same as NinjaDucks 'tis the only way to improve. But what I do is do the comprehension without a dictionary first (you won't have one in the exam!) and then look up the marking scheme online to correct yourself. Then check the vocab.

Advertisement