Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 year old and medicine

• 03-06-2012 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Our 2 year old is just back from hospital and has been prescribed a course of antibiotics. We are trying every method/bribe we can think of but still it's turning into a battle. The medicine is in liquid form and tastes like banana. Any ideas on how to get it into her we've tried spoon,syringe and really don't want to go back to the hospital to be administered intravenously ............any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ring the pharmacist and ask about it, or drop in. I spoke to mine ith the same problem, and got suppository form of some, and was able to get the others mixed into her normal yoghurt. Depends on the meds though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Try it in yoghurt. Otherwise persist with the syringe in tiny amounts at a time. You could try putting little bits on a spoon with some milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

good luck, my 3 yr old is great but the older guy - wow oh wow - i am still traumatised from it.
    yogurt, drinks, mix in the syringe with other meds - are they taking calpol too? i thought i would never get to the end of that week 4 times a day hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Thankfully my 2 year old is quite good now if she has to take medicine.
    When she was about a year old she was on a course of 2 x medicines & calpol, it was a nightmare getting it into her, she fought so much with us!

The only way I could manage was getting a thin oral syringe (think it only held 2.5ml), put her soother in & squeeze the syringe in the side of her mouth.
    It was still a bit of a fight, but needs must :( I hope your little one is on the mend & off the meds soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ask the pharmacist if it can be mixed with drinks/yoghurts. Some can and some can't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement