Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting & Living Near College

Options
  • 03-06-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Not a 100% if this is the place for discussing this, but im talking in relation to DIT so i suppose it will be ok :D

Wanted to get the general consensus on this:

I am heading to DIT next term, Kevin Street - My plan at the moment is to commute ( I live in Kells, County Meath ) the bus takes about an hour more or less and its only a 5/10 min walk when i get off in the city.

I still want to be involved in all of the social things going on, like nights out, class party's etc. so i suppose not having a place in the City would be a negative affect.

I am quite happy to commute, i live in a decent area, and i don't want to hassle of having to move out.

anyone else in my situation, commuting wise?..

I hope to make some friends with places in the city, so i can hog a section of floor after a night out :D :cool: ;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭steve2012

If I get into Dit I say I'll be getting the bus from navan up to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭rob w

I commute from ratoath every day, a bit closer but pretty much the same situation. Youll def meet people in college and always have somewhere to crash after nights out if needed tho, so i wouldnt worry too much about missing out!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

rob w wrote: »
    I commute from ratoath every day, a bit closer but pretty much the same situation. Youll def meet people in college and always have somewhere to crash after nights out if needed tho, so i wouldnt worry too much about missing out!

Brilliant!

Good to know, of others that are in the same (Kinda) Situation :)

what course you on, BTW?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'm in a similar situation myself, live out in Greystones and commute everyday, it takes about an hour on the train.

To be honest, if I could afford to I'd move out in a second. Commuting is grand, it's doable, but for me it's not desirable. Having to get up at 6.15 to make it in for 9 lectures, missing some nights out because of not being able to get floor space are not fun. The real pain in the áss for me is the amount of time it adds to my day, especially if you're only going in for one lecture, when realistically it takes an hour-an hour and a half each way makes it seem pointless sometimes.

Nights out aren't a huge problem, 99% of the time there'll be floor for you to crash on. I'd kill for the extra 2 hours in bed my friends living in the city centre get in the mornings though!

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation myself, live out in Greystones and commute everyday, it takes about an hour on the train.

To be honest, if I could afford to I'd move out in a second. Commuting is grand, it's doable, but for me it's not desirable. Having to get up at 6.15 to make it in for 9 lectures, missing some nights out because of not being able to get floor space are not fun. The real pain in the áss for me is the amount of time it adds to my day, especially if you're only going in for one lecture, when realistically it takes an hour-an hour and a half each way makes it seem pointless sometimes.

Nights out aren't a huge problem, 99% of the time there'll be floor for you to crash on. I'd kill for the extra 2 hours in bed my friends living in the city centre get in the mornings though!

I feel your pain bro! ;)

At the moment i Commute into and back from work on a daily basis.

I work in Leixlip, live in Kells Meath, so , that means a bus from Kells to the City, and then the train from the City to Leixlip.

The bus leaves Kells, at 5:30am - i dont start work untill 8am!! thats almost 3 hours in , and then the same home again.

If lectures started at 9am, id get the 7am bus, get in for about half 8.. thats almost 2 extra hours id get in bed! and only one bus ride!

So, its a win-win really :D

Cant really afford to move up, even if i wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Just out of curiosity, how much is an annual commuter ticket? I'm living near Connolly Station so it doesn't apply to me, but I'm terrible for staying in bed if I have an excuse, and "college is too far away" would be a credible one at 6a.m. :P

Just out of curiosity, how much is an annual commuter ticket? I'm living near Connolly Station so it doesn't apply to me, but I'm terrible for staying in bed if I have an excuse, and "college is too far away" would be a credible one at 6a.m. :P

I haven't the slightest in terms of student prices BUT i know, if you work, you can get Tax Saver tickets HERE

where are you looking to go? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I think it depends on where you're going from, I'm just about on the dart line and get the combined monthly bus and rail student ticket and it costs me €102 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I haven't the slightest in terms of student prices BUT i know, if you work, you can get Tax Saver tickets HERE

where are you looking to go? :D
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I think it depends on where you're going from, I'm just about on the dart line and get the combined monthly bus and rail student ticket and it costs me €102 a month.

Yeah I thought as much. I pay €200 a month (and about €30 in bills) to live in the city centre, I'm more than happy to do that :P Not looking to go anywhere! I commuted to Maynooth for a few months, but I just couldn't deal with the stress of all the traveling, but I've never been good at traveling anyways :P

Advertisement