Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAVING CERT general antsy exam Qs.

Options
  • 03-06-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

hi, I'm getting a bit antsy in the lead up to the LC.
    Just wondering i anyone could answer a few questions I have;

1. Can you start writing, from once you get your answer booklet. (not questions but just plain paper.)
    (I mainly want to know this for something like English where I'd light to write down quotes etc straight away.)

2. Can you request several extra answer booklets before the exam.
    (again with ENG I don't want to have to stop mid exam to ask.)

3. How early should you arrive for the exam?

4. I'v heard you can bring food into the exam. I want to buy glucose tablets, does anyone know which ones would be good, and where you can buy them?

5. If up relatively late the night before, (due to restless sleep or cramming.) would a red bull be a good idea before / during the exam ?

6. Should stationary be brought in in a clear bag, or will a pencil case suffice ?

Any advice / answers would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

5. Red bull's always a good idea for me, wouldn't have gotten through English in the pre without it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I've taken these glucose tablets before and stocked up on some today. I've gotten them in the chemist and my mam got them today in Tesco so they should be fairly easy to get.

dextro_energy_tablets_orange_12156.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

You're supposed to be in the exam hall 30 minutes before the exam starts, there's some form you have to sign, etc. And I reckon you'd be okay with just a pencil case, done the Leaving last year and nothing was said.. I'm pretty sure you're only allowed the one answer book at a time, but then again I guess it wouldn't be an issue either way (: I don't recommend energy drinks at all though.. All that's needed is a good sleep, drink plenty of water etc, and keep a clear head about everything. (: hope it somehow helps, good luck :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭dovahkiin

1. Can you start writing, from once you get your answer booklet. (not questions but just plain paper.)
    (I mainly want to know this for something like English where I'd light to write down quotes etc straight away.)

yes

yes

how long is a piece of string

4. I'v heard you can bring food into the exam. I want to buy glucose tablets, does anyone know which ones would be good, and where you can buy them?

glucose is glucose doesn't matter which ones. tesco

5. If up relatively late the night before, (due to restless sleep or cramming.) would a red bull be a good idea before / during the exam ?

yeah, if you want to crash and burn

6. Should stationary be brought in in a clear bag, or will a pencil case suffice ?
    The x-ray scanners in the hall will you trying to cheat so pencil cases are allowed

Thank you.

think i'll live without your thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

dovahkiin wrote: »

yes

yes

how long is a piece of string

glucose is glucose doesn't matter which ones. tesco

yeah, if you want to crash and burn

The x-ray scanners in the hall will you trying to cheat so pencil cases are allowed

Thank you.

Someones a crankypants.

• Advertisement

What does this mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I don't think he'd want to thank you anyway :rolleyes:

1. I don't know.

2. Yes you can, it's advised you do.

3. My school says we should be there 30 mins beforehand.

5. I usually take a berocca in the morning, it's great you should try it! Also you don't want to be bothering to have a drink during the exams, but red bull's a good idea if you're tired.

6. A pencil case is fine!

finality wrote: »
    What does this mean?

He was asking do you need a clear pencil case, I used my powers of deductive reasoning to deduce that he thinks clear pencil cases are required in order to prevent him secreting cheat material in a regular case. It was a nice way of telling him to remove his tinfoil hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

finality wrote: »
    What does this mean?

He was asking do you need a clear pencil case, I used my powers of deductive reasoning to deduce that he thinks clear pencil cases are required in order to prevent him secreting cheat material in a regular case. It was a nice way of telling him to remove his tinfoil hat.

And I think finality was questioning your beautiful syntax <3

ChemHickey wrote: »

we're not in the exam yet so grammar's not all that important, I'm sorry if it taxed you to read it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

ChemHickey wrote: »

we're not in the exam yet so grammar's not all that important, I'm sorry if it taxed you to read it

Of course it didn't annoy me! I thought it was beautiful! <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

For (1) and (6), it depends on your supervisors.

As far as I remember, you're not supposed to write anything but your details on the front of the booklet before the exam commences. Most tell you not to open any booklet or start writing until they say so. It stops those who peek from getting a head start and also those who snuck notes in from writing quotes etc (it would be harder to cheat when the supervisor is staring down at you, rather than fumbling with papers).

If you bring in a pencil case, most supervisors look inside just to make sure you haven't snuck any notes in. Best to get a clear pencil case, a cranky supervisor will inspect every case in the room.

Also, don't bring an unopened can. It makes the loudest noise during the exam and annoys the hell out of a lot of people. Open it before you start or bring a bottle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please ignore the troll in this thread.

Depends on your superintendent.

Not before the papers are given out, but afterwards yes. You should request them one at a time though, as all paper in the room must be accounted for.

For the first exam, at least 30 minutes before the scheduled starting time, as there are a number of extra things need to be done on the first day. For other exams, being at the exam hall 10 minutes beforehand will be fine.

Can't help you there. Make sure large doses of sugar do not affect you by giving you the runs - it does some people.

No, neither would staying up late before the exam.

If you mean pens and the like, a clear case would be helpful to the superintendent. No paper of any sort should be brought into the exam centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Sorry to butt in, but on a related note what drink is recommended to bring in?

I know water is the best for keeping you hydrated and theres some statistic saying that students preform better drinking water .. but after while during exams I usually get dizzy, especially english/irish 2 or that and when I have to get up to go to the bathroom. So I was thinking something like lucozade might be better?
    But Im not sure ... suggestions?

biohaiid wrote: »

I know water is the best for keeping you hydrated and theres some statistic saying that students preform better drinking water .. but after while during exams I usually get dizzy, especially english/irish 2 or that and when I have to get up to go to the bathroom. So I was thinking something like lucozade might be better?

Bring both? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

biohaiid wrote: »

Lucozade Sport and a bottle of water is what I'm intending on bringing into every exam, they've always served me well :)

Advertisement