Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog grooming

Options
  • 03-06-2012 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi i have 3 dogs and am struggling financially with the cost of grooming. Anyone here doing the grooming course in st johns who might be prepared to do them cheap?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why don't you call St John's direct and ask?

The students there are always looking for doggy models...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭elainesnuffles

Why don't you call St John's direct and ask?

The students there are always looking for doggy models...
    Would do but id say course is finished now.
    Just thought i might find some people here who have done the course and might do it cheaper.

Thanks for replying

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Have you tried 4 paws and a tail? (Disclaimer : It's a friends business) They have an award winning grommer there and not overly expensive. I honestly couldn't afford some of the traditional grooming spots and I was surprised at my mates prices TBH. No harm making a call anyway.

Another alternative would be to DIY. Real cheap and you don't have to rely on anyone to groom!!

You can get relatively cheap clippers at Argos. Slickers and brushes are very cheap on eBay. And there's plenty of tips on YouTube showing you the different cuts.

I've done the course at St John's which is good, and I do my dog myself. I've used YouTube plenty of times to remind myself of stuff.

HTH!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Theirs a person in the North Side that Does my dogs for 25 -> 30 euro..

Wash,Cut, & Dry .. Not bad..

• Advertisement

Cork24 wrote: »

If you mean Best Friends over by the Sunbeam, unfortunately they've now closed. Such a shame, as they were very reasonable and my dog loved going there, before I learnt to groom him myself. Gaby was fabulous with him. Dog used to gallop in to see her!:D

There's another girl at Dillon's Cross who's supposed to be reasonable as well. My friend took her dog there, and she used to do my in-laws dog. My SiL takes her dog to a girl in Guranabraher who apparently charges E20 for a Shih Tzu. If OP's still interested, I can get their details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

That's who I take my dogs to the one in gurranabraher.i find her very good

Owen wrote: »
    Have you tried 4 paws and a tail? (Disclaimer : It's a friends business) They have an award winning grommer there and not overly expensive. I honestly couldn't afford some of the traditional grooming spots and I was surprised at my mates prices TBH. No harm making a call anyway.
    Thanks for that i,ll give them a call

Another alternative would be to DIY. Real cheap and you don't have to rely on anyone to groom!!

You can get relatively cheap clippers at Argos. Slickers and brushes are very cheap on eBay. And there's plenty of tips on YouTube showing you the different cuts.

I've done the course at St John's which is good, and I do my dog myself. I've used YouTube plenty of times to remind myself of stuff.

HTH!!

Well ive one vicious dog who growls even when he just sees me with scissors. The other 2 are bichons, but very high maintenance, so i might have to consider doing them myself.
    I have all the slicker brushes etc ..
    Just no razor or good scissors

Cork24 wrote: »

If you mean Best Friends over by the Sunbeam, unfortunately they've now closed. Such a shame, as they were very reasonable and my dog loved going there, before I learnt to groom him myself. Gaby was fabulous with him. Dog used to gallop in to see her!:D

There's another girl at Dillon's Cross who's supposed to be reasonable as well. My friend took her dog there, and she used to do my in-laws dog. My SiL takes her dog to a girl in Guranabraher who apparently charges E20 for a Shih Tzu. If OP's still interested, I can get their details.

Is gabi gone??
    She used to do them before, but was charging 40 for bichons, the groomer i now go to is 30! But with 3 dogs thats a lot.
    Can u get some info please? Even if it was only a tenner i was saving

• Advertisement

Is gabi gone??
    She used to do them before, but was charging 40 for bichons, the groomer i now go to is 30! But with 3 dogs thats a lot.
    Can u get some info please? Even if it was only a tenner i was saving

Seems so, sadly. My SiL told me the place was closed up, but wasn't sure. I was in the area myself on Saturday, and yes, the place was closed and padlocked. Like I say, it's a real shame.

You'll find that a lot of groomers will charge extra for a Bichon as there's more work involved (i.e. scissoring, as they can't really be clipped. It ruins the coat). If you can get away with E30 or less, then I'd consider that good going.

Why not try DIY on your other dogs, and just send the growly fella off to yer wan? :D

EDIT: I originally posted, not realising you had Bichons. In that case, you just need a decent scissors. You can get them relatively cheaply on eBay. Another site I'd recommend is CCP at Bandon or Christie's who are in Antrim. Both are reasonable. I often get doggy supplies from both. If you get clippers, both offer sharpening services at reasonable cost and fast turnaround. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nolo1

I was in Blackpool on Tuesday and dropped into Best Friends to check and Gaby is still there. She has not closed or gone out of business.

Thank goodness for that. I like Gabi and think she's a great groomer. My dog loved her...

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

I use scruffys she is in watergrasshill and the model farm road and is really good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I know a fella in Mallow, does it out of interest so it's cheap, can get his details if anyone wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nolo1

UPDATE:

I was in Blackpool again on Friday afternoon and Best Friends/Gabi was locked up. I presume she only opens when she has bookings. I made a mental note to book my dog in next week. If we don't support her she won't stay and my dog loves her!

Advertisement