Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel P-660HW-T1 v3 Ubuntu

Options
  • 03-06-2012 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi there, my eircom broadband speeds at home with a Netopia 2247nwg were always fairly decent, but then began to drop for no discernible reason. Brought home a (Zyxel) Eircom P-660HW-T1 v3 from our business (also with eircom) to see if the router was at fault, and the speeds have shot up to normal levels. It was at a point where a 5 minute youtube video was taking up to 15 minutes to load, so obviously we're all very happy we've identified the problem. We were going to contact Eircom on tuesday about a replacement router for the netopia one here.

However, once I disconnect the Ethernet cable from the Zyxel router and go for wi-fi, my laptop will not connect to the web, despite being connected to the router. I'm running Ubuntu and think that there may be some compatibility issue between the router and my laptop, as all other laptops (Windows and Macs) are running perfectly from the wifi. I can't imagine a router being OS specific though?confused.gif

Any ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The laptops may be work supplied and the ethernet card unique MAC address may be on a permitted list ( apart from the password being correct ) so add the MAC address of the Ubuntu system to the permitted list....called the "MAC Filter" if so.

see http://www.zyxeltech.de/snotep334w/app/MACfilter.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bavib

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The laptops may be work supplied and the ethernet card unique MAC address may be on a permitted list ( apart from the password being correct ) so add the MAC address of the Ubuntu system to the permitted list....called the "MAC Filter" if so.

see http://www.zyxeltech.de/snotep334w/app/MACfilter.htm

Hiya, thanks for your swift response, unfortunately thats not the problem, thanks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Bavib wrote: »
    Hi there, my eircom broadband speeds at home with a Netopia 2247nwg were always fairly decent, but then began to drop for no discernible reason. Brought home a (Zyxel) Eircom P-660HW-T1 v3 from our business (also with eircom) to see if the router was at fault, and the speeds have shot up to normal levels. It was at a point where a 5 minute youtube video was taking up to 15 minutes to load, so obviously we're all very happy we've identified the problem. We were going to contact Eircom on tuesday about a replacement router for the netopia one here.

However, once I disconnect the Ethernet cable from the Zyxel router and go for wi-fi, my laptop will not connect to the web, despite being connected to the router. I'm running Ubuntu and think that there may be some compatibility issue between the router and my laptop, as all other laptops (Windows and Macs) are running perfectly from the wifi. I can't imagine a router being OS specific though?confused.gif

Any ideas?

Hi Bavib,

From the sounds of things you do indeed have a fault with the Netopia. SpongeBob may have been on the right track suggesting some kind of MAC address filtering or other non-standard security measure on the business modem. Would be more likely to be the case if the business network was installed by a private company. If the ZyXEL is not going to be used in the business again you could try doing a 'hard-reset' of the modem. This involves holding the small inset button at the back for about 8-10 seconds (with the modem powered on). This will put the modem back to eircom's 'factory' settings.

To be honest, I have fairly limited knowledge of Ubuntu but as you said, the modem is not normally OS specific. The fact it works over ethernet but not Wifi strongly suggests some security measures that we're missing here. May be a firewall setting or something simple along those lines. If you like, PM me the account info and I'll check the situation with a replacement modem. If you're still in contract the modem would be free. If not in contract you can either purchase a new one for €50 or take one for free on the back of a new 12 month contract. Let me know how you'd like to move forward with this.

Thanks

James

Advertisement