Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree advice for a garden with septic tank and drain field

Options
  • 03-06-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭

I have a large back garden which I would like to plant a tree in, probably in one back corner. Due to the size I don't mind if it grows quite large over the years

However, I have a septic tank in the upper part of the garden (will be unaffected) and I assume that the lower part of the garden close to the tree may have part of the leach field.

Is the potential root structure (or potential damage) something I need to consider?

As for trees, I seen a nice Norwegian Maple at a local garden centre, and was thinking of planting that.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

As a general guide the underground part of a plant will normally fill the same area underground. If the tree you plant will stretch its branches over the septic tank when it grows to full size then the roots are very likely to also stretch into the septic tank. I have heard of ash being particularly inclined to stretch its roots far into a field and old apple trees in my parents' house have roots spread a bit further than the branches on the tree, but this may be because the soil is poor quality deeper down and they need more nutrients from the surface further away. Maple trees are generally very vigorous so I hope you have a big garden if you want to plant one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah it is quite a big garden.

I would guess the tree will be about 50ft or so from the septic tank itself, but the drain field is in the interlying area, which I am concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Wouldn't plant a tree over percolation area especially if percolation area is a series of perforated pipes on drainage stone. The roots will damage pipe connections and effect gradient of pipes etc.
    I may be wrong, but I understand it is contrary to EPA guidelines to plant a tree over a septic tank percolation area.

if it is an old style soakpit into which treated effluent flows from the septic tank then my concern would be that the roots may disrupt the pipe connection from the Septic tank to the Soakpit.

I design, install and repair septic tanks. A very common problem is damage to pipe connection between ST and soakpit. This is sometimes caused by nearby trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

on the subject of septic tanks... whats the story with Veg growing near (2-3 metres) of the outlet ventilation pipes of a buried septic tank .
    Is there any health issues here, contamination of the veg, ecoli etc.

Advertisement