Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonia O'Sullivan turns to Tri

Options
  • 03-06-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Wasn't sure which section this should go in, feel free to move it over should need be.
    We are delighted to announce that Sonia O’Sullivan, Olympic & World medalist will compete in this event, her first ever triathlon. She has been in touch and she said that “while I have been hibernating in the Australian winter I have been keeping myself busy training for my first ever triathlon. Monkstown tri was an easy choice for me just across the water from Cobh set in the beautiful Cork harbour, followed by a unique cycle onto Haulbowline island and a scenic run alongside Cork harbour. I have been training 3 times. A week in the swimming pool, some great hilly bike rides, I just hope my run “leg” doesn’t let me down! I look forward to getting out and joining in the fun on June 17th.”

Taken from http://trimonkstown.ie/

It's a sprint tri, not an olympic. Racing it myself on June 17th. First ever tri. Nice to see I'm up against an olympic runner :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

For anyone that's interested, the Triathlon was yesterday. Sonia's splits were:

Sonia O'SULLIVAN 01:17:06 00:18:18 00:36:04 00:19:34

She came first in her Category, 2nd in Gender. Didn't have the fastest female run either, which I thought she'd have nailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

For anyone that's interested, the Triathlon was yesterday. Sonia's splits were:

Sonia O'SULLIVAN 01:17:06 00:18:18 00:36:04 00:19:34

She came first in her Category, 2nd in Gender. Didn't have the fastest female run either, which I thought she'd have nailed.

Proof in the pudding that running in Triathlon is not about being a great runner (outside of draft legal where its all about the swim/run)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

There was an absolute bastard of a hill for most of the first km on the run - one of those hills where you can't see any sky - just a wall of tarmac in front of you. Shotgun is right - you'd need to have done a few tris to tackle that hill and the rest of the run properly. It's as much about having been in the situation before as it is about being a classy runner. Was talking w. Sonia afterwards and she said she had real problems getting going in that first km - wasn't used to running straight off the bike at all.

Still, I was quietly celebrating beating our Olympic silver medalist and multiple world champion by four minutes - I even beat her run split :D

Thought the age categories yesterday showed pure meaness on behalf of the organisers. Plaques cost almost nothing to provide yet there were just 3 age groups (20-34, 35-49 and 50+ in each gender). FFS, might as well not have AGs at all at that rate. Sure, it was a charity event - but they charged €50 to enter. Otherwise, very enjoyable day out - once they get the traffic management organised it will be a big draw I'd say. Really liked that it was so close to home - I could cycle down from the city, do the race, have a beer and cycle home again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Proof in the pudding that running in Triathlon is not about being a great runner (outside of draft legal where its all about the swim/run)

you seem to know a lot about her training can you enlighten us .

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Surely her splits prove nothing?

Was she doing it as a fun run? Waving at crowds etc? Can't read too much into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

peter kern wrote: »
    you seem to know a lot about her training can you enlighten us .

Really? A tad' sarcastic for a monday morning. Maybe my comment was lazy. I just don't think it was shocking that she didn't outrun everyone on her first tri!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Really? A tad' sarcastic for a monday morning. Maybe my comment was lazy. I just don't think it was shocking that she didn't outrun everyone on her first tri!

I don't know anyone would have expected her to out run everyone. She's now 42 and clearly not training like she used to. And definitely not training for tri's. Fionnuala Britton did Brian Boru tri in 2009, the year after she competed in the olympics, and only managed 5th fastest run (admitted she was out run by Tim Dowling, Colm Turner, Wayne Reid). If she can't out run everyone when training full time why would anyone expect Sonia to do so when retired??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

My eyes must be playing up. I think Sonia got the fastest female run split of 19:34.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I don't know anyone would have expected her to out run everyone. She's now 42 and clearly not training like she used to. And definitely not training for tri's. Fionnuala Britton did Brian Boru tri in 2009, the year after she competed in the olympics, and only managed 5th fastest run (admitted she was out run by Tim Dowling, Colm Turner, Wayne Reid). If she can't out run everyone when training full time why would anyone expect Sonia to do so when retired??

Colm Turner is a very good runner. He has Munster and National titles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I see she was in Base2Race yesterday for a swim swession and bike fit. She must have enjoyed her first tri :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mallon

Good on her giving it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Call me naive but I'd have expected our best ever female runner to put in a decent run? And she has been training for tris. At least a bit anyway i.e. she's been swimming and running.

Either way, great to see her back, regardless of the level.

Advertisement