Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A French matter

• 03-06-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

How much do you write for French opinion questions? Do you stick to the 75/90 words? Our teacher keeps telling us not to go over the word limit, that some examiners will actually stop correcting after the nintieth word (?!) but it just seems like waaaaay too little to me! If anyone could shed some light on the situation I would be eternally grateful! ;)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭dovahkiin

Why would they specify the amount of words if they didn't want people to stick to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Our teacher always says to go over the limit. I doubt they stop correcting after 90 words, I think it's just a guideline?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rosualt

Cheers Naomi00, I thought she was being a bit extreme alright! :P

dovahkiin, it actually wouldn't be the first subject to do something like that. Spanish essays are recommended to be 100-150 words but in the chief examiners report, none of the samples given were shorter than any less than an A4.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

It is the minimum required. You will not be penalised for going over this if your grammar and vocab is correct. The longer it is the more room there is for mistakes! I would try and get everything I knew was right in, and if I was doubtful of a verb or sentence structure then I would leave it out (obvious enough I suppose:P).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I always write at least 180 words for the 30 markers, at least 200 for the 40 mark question.

That's on a bad day. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

If racism or poverty comes up ill probably be pushing for 4000 words:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Dont go double the word count.
    The more you write, the more mistakes you make, and it's all about grammar after all.
    And you'll end up waffling.
    I wrote way too much for my mocks, brought me down a good bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

biohaiid wrote: »
    Dont go double the word count.
    The more you write, the more mistakes you make, and it's all about grammar after all.
    And you'll end up waffling.
    I wrote way too much for my mocks, brought me down a good bit.

My grammar's grand. I'll make sure I have enough time to read over everything anyway because it's easy to make silly mistakes on the day. I wrote an average of 230 words for each of the questions in the mock and I got 85%. One of them was 29/30, I lost a mark for forgetting an 's' for the tu form of a present tense verb. :cool: Not 100% sure what the other two answers got but they were A1 standard as far as I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

For the pre I stayed around 75/90 for each and I got an A, gives you time to do a few extra as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I usually write 150 words for all of them, there's no problem with doing so.

Does anyone here think it's worth writing extra questions? Or should you just stick to 3? I can usually get the comprehensions done in 50 minutes so I'll have a fair bit of time for the written..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

More words = more mistakes

For the 75 words go to about 85-90ish or so

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

I'm around the same with the 75-90!! If I have more to say I'll say it, so long as I know it wont lose me marks on grammar!

Advertisement