Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII retrospective

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I was referring to the outsourcing of development. Never actually been to a convention but I'm well aware of cosplayers and such.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Outsourcing happens all the time in all big game development, even as far back as the PS1 era. Square at the time didn't have the CGI workstations to handle all the rendering of cutscenes and backgrounds (which could take days for a single frame to render) so outsourced it. Sure they are still outsourcing to CGI companies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Outsourcing happens all the time in all big game development, even as far back as the PS1 era. Square at the time didn't have the CGI workstations to handle all the rendering of cutscenes and backgrounds (which could take days for a single frame to render) so outsourced it. Sure they are still outsourcing to CGI companies.

I can understand the animation, I was referring to the art design. I never thought building the levels would take so much. Then again, FFXIII took ages to put together.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The backgrounds were all 3D models with matte painted backgrounds. Back in 1995-1997 rendering of those backgrounds could take weeks, and that doesn't even include texturing and modeling. It's the same process as the CGI sequences. Also remember that the work that went into the backgrounds was just as strenuous as the CGI cinema work. There's about 330 unique backgrounds in FFVII all of which had to be created and rendered.

I had no idea that amount of work was involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Bladerunner despite it's cultural significance isn't beyond criticism either, you'll find plenty of reviews of it still cropping up.

I'm not saying the reviews aren't cropping up, or that the thing is beyond criticism (saying something is 'beyond criticism', has connotations that one thinks the thing is perfect), I'm saying the criticism/review doesn't matter.

The same thing happens in Musicology, You write a book called "re-evaluating Mozart" and you'll be writing something that doesn't matter: it's not that Mozart is beyond criticism or that there aren't any new criticisms sprouting up; it's that the criticism of Mozart is a worthless commodity.

Neither can FFVII itself, nor current day reviews of FFVII nor SE for that matter, do anything today that matters to the level that FFVII mattered back in the day.
    It's cultural impact has come and gone and has extended far beyond the thing itself, thus looking at what it is, is a waste of time, I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it's a waste of time to do it; FFVII status has already has been decided by basic historical record. It achieved something culturally that made it's short comings (much as they're obvious there) irrelevant to the game's identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 boarder294

just the love the graphics in final fantasy..

Advertisement