Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exam Tip failure by Lecturer

• 03-06-2012 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

First time posting so sorry if this has been answered before. In the lead up to exams we got the usual exam tips which you take with a pinch of salt but don't stray too far from, however for one module the lecturer listed three particular topics, called them exam tips and then went on to spend two classes concentrating on them. So far so helpful, then during study month he sent us several emails all referring to one particular topic with extra materials, info etc on the topic. Naturally a large number of the class followed the cheese, myself included.

Come exam day turn paper over and no sign. To double up in me kicking myself for not doing my own thing as I always do the one topic I was interested in doing but he advised me against when collecting an essay a few weeks earlier was there. All this just built upon my frustration at being annoyed at myself and him. I spoke to him after the exam and he said "only" about 10% raised it as a problem in the exam hall. It was a one question history exam. He said that the topic was on the exam paper, that the external examiner had taken it off the paper and that he could exactly tell the class! What baffles me is surely the paper would be finalised before he gave all these tips even up to two weeks before the exam?

Finally I deserve what I get as a result but I'm annoyed at how it all played out and am wondering should I raise the issue to Examinations Board as a problem or am I over-reacting. A lot of the class were equally put out by the entire thing. I have the lectures audio recorded with the lecturers permission on when he kept emphasising the topics along with the several emails posting teaching period.

Anyone been in this kind of position before? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

The thing about it being on the paper but getting taken off by extern has happened our class last year, but the lecturer told us during study month, because that was the "guaranteed" question on the paper (which he'd been saying since the previous October).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gardinershill

Thanks for the reply lilmissprincess. At least you lecturer had the cop on to let people know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Best bet would be to contact the University Ombudsman if you think the lecturer has been "unfair" and acted in a non-professional/misleading manner (if you know what I mean). They will know of ANY case like this which has been taken up in the college in the past and will give you the best advice. You do not have to proceed with anything by telling them, they will offer you advice and if you choose to pursue it they'll give the best guidance.

They are your best bet in all honesty. They will know if you will get anywhere or if you will come up against a brick wall*. :)

*results may vary depending on which department the lecturer is in and who his/her friends are :P

Thanks Davie89, didn't know that service existed and is exactly what I'm looking for so many thanks for the steer.

There's always someone out there to help ;)

No Problem. Would love to hear what they have to say if/when you do contact them.

Everyone loves a good little guy struggling against the big guy type saga.

Best of luck with it :)

• Advertisement

Email sent anyway so will keep you posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

This is one of those annoying situations where the lecturer does something wrong, but where you can't really make any argument that the extern (or other academics) will actually fully accept.

Like, we all follow such advice, but if it goes wrong (like it did for you) the extern can always just say "you should have revised the whole module anyway as that's what is expected for exams". And there's nothing you can really say to that. But, on the other hand, it's obviously madness to ignore lecturer hints. Argh!!

It will be interesting to see what the university ombudsman has to say about it.

Well I got a reply back from the University Ombudsman who suggested that I should set out the details as above in correspondence to the head of the Department and the External Examiner before they come to examine the exam scripts so it will be noted on the file.

Can't ask for more honest and helpful advice than that, so thanks will keep you posted on how it goes.

Thanks so far for the help dudes.

Well I got a reply back from the University Ombudsman who suggested that I should set out the details as above in correspondence to the head of the Department and the External Examiner before they come to examine the exam scripts so it will be noted on the file.

Can't ask for more honest and helpful advice than that, so thanks will keep you posted on how it goes.

Thanks so far for the help dudes.

Its gonna be a slow process, but at least your getting somewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

These 6 questions may or may not come up on the exam...and you know what they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Exam papers are written months in advance, sent to the extern who recommends changes. The lecturer is under no obligation to follow the extern's advice but it is highly recommended. All of this process is done and dusted well before the final lectures. The lecturer would have not only had to approve the changes, he would have known about them around Feb.

Thanks for the info Bannasidhe. I've my letter almost drafted for the head of the Department and the External Examiner so they can't say they weren't told! :)

Advertisement