Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MET eireann, what a joke.

Options
  • 04-06-2012 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

This week end just sums up the crap weather forecasting service we get in Donegal from met eireann.
    In the middle of last week they were saying there was heavy rain on the way at the weekend with the north getting the worst of it.
    Anybody who was out and about in Donegal knows how wrong this forecast was .
    I believe it is a joke to make such a forecast in the lead up to a bank holiday weekend and can have a huge negative impact on visitor numbers etc.
    If the weather models they base their forecasts on can change then why come out and call the weather 5 days ahead .:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This week end just sums up the crap weather forecasting service we get in Donegal from met eireann.
    In the middle of last week they were saying there was heavy rain on the way at the weekend with the north getting the worst of it.
    Anybody who was out and about in Donegal knows how wrong this forecast was .
    I believe it is a joke to make such a forecast in the lead up to a bank holiday weekend and can have a huge negative impact on visitor numbers etc.
    If the weather models they base their forecasts on can change then why come out and call the weather 5 days ahead .:mad:

Every forecast I heard in the lead up to the weekend specifically stated that north Ulster would be the only place to stay dry - dunno if we were hearing the same forecasts! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

IIrc, they said the rain belt would NOT reach the extreme north.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭leedslad

Ye must have heard a different one to me then so. I was listening to Met Éireann forecast on RTE Radio1 on Monday evening and they said Wed and early Thur would be a little bit unsettled and then another High would move over Ulster for this weekend. They even said that any rain over the weekend would be limited to South Ulster.Pretty spot on in my book

Didn't see Heidi or Kris replies before posting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You should listen better next time Met Eireann clearly stated that the north should escape the rain over the weekend and remain mostly dry with only some southern parts of the provence getting rain.

The weather maps for the country for the entire weekend including today show sunshine with some cloud.

And just for your info rain will probably hit letterkenny area around noon on tuesday.

Now apologise...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Met Eireann make a balls of weather predictions for the whole country on a regular basis. Why do some Donegal people always like to presume that they're being shafted?

• Advertisement

deccurley wrote: »
    Met Eireann make a balls of weather predictions for the whole country on a regular basis. Why do some Donegal people always like to presume that they're being shafted?

Emmm....read the replies to the OP, no one made a balls of it, no one is saying were shafted, one person misheard the forecast. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

CJC999 wrote: »
    You should listen better next time Met Eireann clearly stated that the north should escape the rain over the weekend and remain mostly dry with only some southern parts of the provence getting rain.

The weather maps for the country for the entire weekend including today show sunshine with some cloud.

And just for your info rain will probably hit letterkenny area around noon on tuesday.

Now apologise...
    I know what I heard dude. Myself and a work colleague heard it on Tuesday morning and I decided to wait to see what developed.
    I also know an engineer in the council who was issued with flood warnings on Thur and fri for the weekend from met eireann.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

CJC999 wrote: »
    Emmm....read the replies to the OP, no one made a balls of it, no one is saying were shafted, one person misheard the forecast. Simples.

OP doesn't seem to agree. FWIW I know that most of ye are disagreeing with what the OP is saying. I said that some people like to make out like they're being shafted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Met eireann warning did not mention Ulster
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78989020&postcount=7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I know what I heard dude. Myself and a work colleague heard it on Tuesday morning and I decided to wait to see what developed.
    I also know an engineer in the council who was issued with flood warnings on Thur and fri for the weekend from met eireann.:confused:

Ah now Tuesday :o

Sure any forecast is only really semi-accurate for 2 day's maximum. Saying the predicted it wrong 5+ days in advance is a bit OTT....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Here's the forecast from Met Eireann at the end of the Six One News last Thursday evening. Check out Wednesdays forecast also and you will see its pretty much the same. No mention of rain here over the weekend at all.

I honestly have no idea if you are just trying to take the piss here or not. You claimed to have seen/heard a different forecast from everyone else so maybe next time you will hold fire until you can offer up proof.

Edit/ about 0:46 on the RTE player.

Have a look at the forecast on Tuesday...about 0:46 on the RTE player. Same time for the forecast in my post above and tell me where it shows rain here on Saturday or Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Folks, if you wanta really accurate weather forecast then use this site, ive been using it for few years now and it really works well, the info is gathered at airports and is spot on.;)

just click on the arrow nearest your location for wind speed /direction and temp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Just read M.T. Cranium's post in the weather forum for accurate forecasts.

Even if Tuesday's forecast did forecast rain or poor weather surely you didn't base your whole weekends activities on that without ever checking it again after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

Thanks to everyone for telling me what I should have heard with regard to this thread.
    I stand over what I heard though.

With regard to Met Eireann what annoys me is the lack of accurate forecasting . I work full time as a spraying contractor and I think I am well placed to say that Met Eireann are way off the mark a lot of the time.

What brought me back to this thread is that I sat down to watch a gaa game from Ballybofey.
    The Rte people have described the conditions as "very wet" and "shocking" conditions yet less than 2 or 3 hours ago Rte forecast on the tv said conditions would be " very favourable for the game with just a chance of a light shower"

This just shows me that the service from M.E. is inaccurate and a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭leedslad

Thanks to everyone for telling me what I should have heard with regard to this thread.
    I stand over what I heard though.

With regard to Met Eireann what annoys me is the lack of accurate forecasting . I work full time as a spraying contractor and I think I am well placed to say that Met Eireann are way off the mark a lot of the time.

What brought me back to this thread is that I sat down to watch a gaa game from Ballybofey.
    The Rte people have described the conditions as "very wet" and "shocking" conditions yet less than 2 or 3 hours ago Rte forecast on the tv said conditions would be " very favourable for the game with just a chance of a light shower"

This just shows me that the service from M.E. is inaccurate and a joke.

Again Met Eireann got it spot on,was at the game and conditions were indeed favourable and we did get a light shower.
    Maybe it was the football pundits that got the weather wrong;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

having lived in dublin the last 5 years the d4 heads dont know what rain is, they get nothing compared to us! during the match there was no more than a light shower for the first 20mins and nothing really after than. was looking at the trees and flags there too and no wind either... was heavy showers through the gap that day alright but match was fine

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

I lived here for over a year now and I have never seen anywhere where it rains so much. Some people here think that donegal is being picked on but in comparison to the south-east it is very rainy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Firblog

I lived here for over a year now and I have never seen anywhere where it rains so much. Some people here think that donegal is being picked on but in comparison to the south-east it is very rainy.

Rainfall this year so far Cork Airport: 793.8mm

Rainfall this year Malin Head: 627.4mm

Apologies please... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

Looked at the forecast on TV last night and saw big black raining cloud over Leinster all for this morning. Cancelled hill walk in Wicklow. have a look out the window in West Dublin, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

There is a table, a wall and a few cars in the way so don't have a clear view

mattser wrote: »
    have a look out the window in West Dublin, lads.
    That would be some feckin trick seeing as you're posting in the Donegal forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

muffler wrote: »
    That would be some feckin trick seeing as you're posting in the Donegal forum :D

Oops....but ya know what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Always use XC weather site...tis usually spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,624 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lot of folk been recommending www.yr.no as being very accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

If Met Eireann are to be believed today ...could wake in a different town-land tomorrow.. 110 to 130 km/ph.... bit blustery then so!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,624 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Could someone answer me this question, I often watch the weather on RTE and you might hear them tell you its going to be windy with winds of 50 or 60km/h.

Then they show you the summary chart as they are leaving, and it has an arrow with 19 or something on it.

Me no get?

Advertisement