Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louth GAA Football

Options
  • 04-06-2012 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Following the heavy defeat to Dublin yesterday is it time to get rid of the manager?Would the appointment of a high profile manager bring more any success or are we just a County side with little talent and no future ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Depressing stuff, turned it off 20 mins before the end, I'd had enough

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Watching the game yesterday the one big thing that stood out was the difference in fitness levels. Louth need to do a lot of work on there fitness you can see it clearly that dublin put a lot of work into there fitness and it paid off. I think its time for a new manager that can bring a new approach to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Agree about the fitness levels, but i've heard a few criticisms of the intensity of training especially in the weeks leading up to matches. A lack of sharpness and slow starts are then a problem. We got out of jail against Westmeath so it will be interesting to see where they are at in the play-offs. Without the battling of Paddy Keenan it would have been alot worse. Indeed considering how much ball we won in midfield (Dublin better get sorted there or they'll be found out) we did feck all with it moving in to attack - lose the ball and 3 to 4 passes and Dublin hit us on the counter, we had no cover and we conceded. How many goal mouth scrambles were there?

Fitzer needs to move on but the County board cant afford a big name appointment (*cough managers dont get paid *cough). McEnenany was let go a season early imo. We need to appoint from outside the County...Maybe the likes of Oisin McConville could be given a punt?

As an aside I still find it amusing the Louth turned down Joe Kernen as not being experienced enough with his all-ireland club championships before he was appointed by Armagh:(

I really feel that preperation is a weakness for us not a lack of capable players at least for a relatively regular pop at leinster when the draw is good to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The biggest problem with Louth on Sunday was that their game plan was suicidal! Trying to run through a Dublin team that is several levels higher in terms of fitness was never going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

is it not a case that dublin are pretty much a professional team and realistically we'll never have a hope against them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

2 years ago Meath destroyed the Dubs @ Croker...
    2 months ago Louth relegated Meath to the 3rd division!!

It's swings and rounabouts folks...
    Sure the dubs are probably fitter but I think their team is really gelled together right now and they are full of confidence.
    Louth will bounce back in the qualifiers... might be the place for them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Nesta99 wrote: »
    McEnenany was let go a season early imo.
    McEnenany? He had a distinctly average time with Louth. And he's having an absolute nightmare with Monaghan. Division one team when he took them over and now they're down in division three. Monaghan fans want him out and you can't really blame them.

Pighead wrote: »
    McEnenany? He had a distinctly average time with Louth. And he's having an absolute nightmare with Monaghan. Division one team when he took them over and now they're down in division three. Monaghan fans want him out and you can't really blame them.

I just think that Fitzpatricks first year's success would have happened under McEnenany as essentially he put together the basis of the current side. I cant disagree with results being average - Louth football is average at best exceptions are pushing Tyrone and Cork in the play-offs and the run to the Leinster final...false dawns.

Another thing that could be changed is the county championship timing. Surely starting the championship in August is strange whereas other counties start in May with breaks for Intercounty schedules. Players prepare for the county championship therefore should be picked on that form rather than league form. My opinion anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Nobody else feel it's a simple case of numbers?

Both Dublin and Louth are fairly urban and I would guess have the same percentages playing GAA. It's very difficult to compete when your player pool is ten times larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

doncarlos wrote: »
    Nobody else feel it's a simple case of numbers?

Both Dublin and Louth are fairly urban and I would guess have the same percentages playing GAA. It's very difficult to compete when your player pool is ten times larger.

Think Tyrone, Cork,Armagh,Down etc? Dublin haven't always been in the ascendancy,,indeed it is only recently that the Dubs have shown some form.Form in GAA football is cyclical,i think the appointment of a high profile manager could be the answer to the problems here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

The next manager will probably be an interal appointment, i think Colin Kelly will be given the step up from managing the minor team.
    Last sunday was a major disapointment in croke park, but we didnt deserve to get past Westmeath in the first round, we were awful that day in the second half.

We do our best with the pool of players and talent we have available, can we push on to break through to the top tier of GAA,personally i dont think we can but we live in hope :)

I cant fault Fitzpatricks commitment or love for Louth GAA, his term is coming to an end though , cant see him taking on another few years.

Roll on the qualifiers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

jesus, why does he mention this publically?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/wee-boss-plea-as-only-four-fit-to-train-3139207.html

makes a laughing stock

event wrote: »

9 lads were at the intercounty training early last week:o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

oh i know.
    but dont let everyone else know

Advertisement