Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a night out

Options
  • 04-06-2012 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

I realize that the sky could be the limit here if you go to a swanky restaurant etc but just read on another post that a good night out in Perth can be 4 or 500 bucks!! And there wasn't a mention of a Michelin star restaurant.
    That's shocking. A brother lived in Kalgoorlie for awhile and he paid astronomical prices for food and grub but it's not a very big place and remote so I can understand the prices, but Perth?
    I would have a very good night out in Melbourne for around $200 (bar, wine, 3 course dinner)
    So what are people spending out there? On average?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Im thinking hookers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I found Melbourne a bit mental when it came to the cost of drinking. One night I went out for a few pints with my mate (I don't drink spirits), and ended up having 8 or 9 pints of decent ale, which were $10.50 a go. As I wont touch crap beer like Carlton etc, I get little change out of $100 even if im not going on a proper session, ie home after the pubs close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Perth isn't $400 or $500 for a night out. Obviously you could spend that much if you wanted but your talking over 40 drinks there.

Paid $115 for a two course meal for two with wine the other night in a decent enough restaurant.

There's alot of hearsay crap posted up on this forum about perth.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

A big night out costs us around $400 for 2 but the biggest factor is often the $20 per hour babysitter and the expensive cab home. I think you would have serious issues if you are spending that much per night out.

Anyone wanting to save on eating out should look at an entertainment book. This is the time of year that they sell them. Costs about $65 but saves us hundreds during the year. The best thing is you don't have to disclose you have a voucher until after the meal unlike coupons. http://www.entertainmentbook.com.au/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I dunno ... I know lads who could hit $400 on a night out in Perth.

It would involve starting at about 4pm, dinner, a lot of double vodka or jim beams and coca cola, keep going til maybe 3am.

Between taxi in, drinks, taxi, dinner & drinks, taxi, more drinks, taxi to the place that does curry cheese chips and then taxi home, I can see them coming close to the 400 mark.

TBH I think they are idiots for spending that much but these guys are on the big bucks so $400 aint that much to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Meh that big of a day out could cost you €400 at home

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

i usually spend 150 on a night out (including dinner,taxis etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Myself and the woman went to the vivid lights festival down around circular quay and the Rocks in Sydney and went and had a lovely dinner and a glass of wine (and a starter) down near the opera house and spent a total of $56 between us.
    Took the bus home to avoid hefty taxi charge.
    That, to me is a night out nowadays. I suppose it depends on the individual but my days of going out squandering150/200 and not remembering half of it are gone.
    I'd much prefer an experience and quality time with herself like tonight than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Batgurl wrote: »
    I dunno ... I know lads who could hit $400 on a night out in Perth.

It would involve starting at about 4pm, dinner, a lot of double vodka or jim beams and coca cola, keep going til maybe 3am.

Between taxi in, drinks, taxi, dinner & drinks, taxi, more drinks, taxi to the place that does curry cheese chips and then taxi home, I can see them coming close to the 400 mark.

TBH I think they are idiots for spending that much but these guys are on the big bucks so $400 aint that much to them

Where are all these taxis taking you?! If you're getting chauffered around all night then of course it's going to hit that much, half the $400 would be in fares alone. Your average Joe however would get a $30/$40 taxi in and out at most (bus and train for me and many others), clubs are free in for the most part and you'd pay no more than $15 a drink really. All up $250, or at a push $300 if you're really really hitting it hard (I've never spend more than $200 in one night though and I drink a fair whack).

Perth is expensive but this talk of four or five hundred quid a night is scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

If I spent more than $100 on a night out in Melbourne I'd cry myself to sleep. That being said, I don't be going for meals on a night out. I'd normally cook food in the house and have a few drinks there (maybe share a slab between three or four people) and then head out.

I spent a while in Perth too and, while I did spend a bit more over there, there's no way anyone would spend $400 on a night out unless you're getting a limo home from the hooker's house or buying drinks for everyone at the bar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement