Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No water

• 04-06-2012 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi all, Just wondering if anybody else is waking up to no water this morning in the city? Just went to put on kettle and nothing! I'm in the SCR area if that helps!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭goingpostal1

leo78 wrote: »
    Hi all, Just wondering if anybody else is waking up to no water this morning in the city? Just went to put on kettle and nothing! I'm in the SCR area if that helps!

I am in SCR area too. Heard a gurgling in the water pipes last night around 11 pm. No water in the shower this morning. It has happened before, last time it was a bust water main near the Killmallock roundabout that caused it. Hopefully it will be sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Leonita

Thanks for that! Woke up looking forward to a nice cuppa! Hopefully it will be sorted asap as am hoping to get some concrete put down in my garden today! Was it off for long the last time?

leo78 wrote: »
    Thanks for that! Woke up looking forward to a nice cuppa! Hopefully it will be sorted asap as am hoping to get some concrete put down in my garden today! Was it off for long the last time?

I think it was gone for less than 24 hours last time, if I remember correctly. Today being a bank holiday probably isn't going to speed things up unfortunately:-( I wonder does Saturdays freakishly heavy rainfall have anything to do with it?....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

There is definitely water in north part of city and county

Of course the bank holiday doesn't help! It's highly unlikely that it will be restored before evening so if not tomorrow:-( Looks like it's the beach for those in my house today! And to think they want to charge us for water in the future! The flippin cheek of them :mad:

• Advertisement

One useful tip: next time you use the electric shower, after the water comes back on, turn the heat setting to it's lowest level. this will prevent the element from being burnt out, because the shower won't be primed. Enjoy the beach!!

Thanks for that tip! The beach is one way of washing ourselves! Would hate to go back to work tomorrow stinking!! Off to pack a picnic now! Gosh getting food ready without water is such a pain! We really don't appreciate what we have when we have it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There is/was a couple of water mains that were spouting water onto the street this morning. One was near Lady Of Lourdes Church by Greenfields and the other was near Punches cross so that could be affecting the water supply in the SCR area. The City Council van and some workers were there when I was passing.

Water is back in my apartment.: D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

If that happened while you were paying a water charge(which isnt now) would you ring to get a reimbursment for the water for that hour or wat?..just curious

• Advertisement

my opinion is that we are already paying for water. we have been paying for it all along with tax. the water delivery infrastructure was paid for and is maintain ed by tax money up to now. what is really happening is we are being forced to pay for it a second time, because the tax we already pay is being given to the banks to clear their gambling debts. this probably also answers your question about the possibility of a refund ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

This is correct. The water we receive at the minute is being paid for by the local authorities using tax payers money. However, the bailout deal means we can no longer use taxpayers money for this service, and it will have to paid directly, (as opposed to indirectly) by the tax payer. Unfortunately, we will still be paying the same taxes. Which in a roundabout way means we will be paying for what we already have, as well as giving the banks an extra few quid.
    What's really laughable though is that the water service will not change at all. The infrastructure needs to be completely overhauled, which will never be paid for through a water tax alone. The cost of actually producing clean water is huge, never mind paying for the infrastructure to get it to peoples houses.

Thankfully it was back on when we got home last night. Had visions of the water being off for several days. I do agree with other posters that the whole system does need to be upgraded. Perhaps that might happen in the next century :D

Advertisement