Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub locals

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I can't wait till I hit that age where I can act like an obnoxious dick and people will actually take my side for acting that way. Sounds sweet.
    Manners cost nothing at any age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

In Germany a lot of bars have a regular's table where they always sit. Some of them even have metal plaques on the table with the peoples' names.

There's a bar in Cologne that has a plaque where "Gero" always sits. Every time I go there I'm scared to sit in the spot in case Gero comes in and steal my liver as revenge for sitting in his seat or something.

Hasn't happened yet though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

derfderf wrote: »
    I can't wait till I hit that age where I can act like an obnoxious dick and people will actually take my side for acting that way. Sounds sweet.

When you're 85 you can do what you like in fairness, that's the upside to getting old, you can get away with stuff.

I work in a local pub where there are a few people like this, most of the time they have had a hard life or have lost their other half, friends or even some of their children. I've worked there for the past 13 years and i've seen how old people can change over the course of time. Some of them handle it well, others not so much and can turn, on the face it, into very bitter people. They can be a pain in the arse sometimes but a bit of understanding goes a long way. People say there's no excuse for being rude but when you're in youre 80's and all your loved ones are dying around you and the only constant you have is your seat in a pub then you can act whatever way you want imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

If I forget about the age of the local for a second I can empathise with the OP a bit. He's having a good night with his mates, they have good seats and then another customer shows up walks in and insists that he give up the seat, probably leaving him and his mates standing.

My reaction in a similar situation would depend on the a) the age of the local and b) their demeanor. If it's a guy in his thirties that's acting like a spoilt child, then yeah, I'd be pretty annoyed.

As a general rule I tend to avoid pubs that I know have plenty of privileged locals and I'm sure many do the same. One pub in my town had a bad reputation for the fact that you'd always be handing over your seats and with the owners not trying to attract new customers, they went out of business last year. Good riddance to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

derfderf wrote: »

*Note* time. Im saying nothing :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

If there's anything more important than respecting your elders it's respecting yourself - not to let anybody of any age bully you out a seat that you were sitting in first, nor to give in to their protests ''I'm (insert old age here) and this is my traditional seat so show me some repsect by giving in to me.'' Respect doesn't come free - if you want respect then you have to show the same to those around you. Self respect must always come first before respecting anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Was doing a pub crawl quiz, where you do round of a quiz in differenct pubs and have to finish before a certain time (great fun).

One question in one of the pubs was "What age is Joe (not real name)"? Joe was that pubs bar fly, an old fella who sits in the corner, Joe was bewildered why random strangers were walking up to him asking him his date of birth and eventually got thick with people and told them to fúck off as soon as they made eye contact. Our buddy had to sit down next to him by the bar and gently spark a conversation about the local secondary school and by getting the year he started we made an educated guess at his age and got it right.

Didnt win the quiz though. Thought it was quite a cheeky move by the quizmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

OP sounds like a young lad who has no idea how things are done in a real local pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Show Time wrote: »
    OP sounds like a young lad who has no idea how things are done in a real local pub.

You should read the rest of the thread and my other replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

your giving out because you had to move to let a pensioner sit down correct???

learn some manners ya jumped up little pr%ck

My problem is rude old people.
    I have manners, the old man is the one with no manners.
    Like I said in previous posts I have no problem letting someone sit down, its when some one is rude and makes you move.
    If he had asked nicely I would have no problem moving.
    If you like taking abuse off people then away with you.

• Advertisement

chrismon wrote: »
    My problem is rude old people.
    I have manners, the old man is the one with no manners.
    Like I said in previous posts I have no problem letting someone sit down, its when some one is rude and makes you move.
    If he had asked nicely I would have no problem moving.
    If you like taking abuse off people then away with you.

He was rude enough to ask for the seat in the first place, whether he asked politely or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

If there's a jacket on it, nameplate on it, fair enough.
    If there's no available seats and he's none too steady on the pins, fair enough.

Otherwise he should go sit somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I'm starting to wonder if its my dad in question...:P

He'd be like that, he's in his 60's. He'd insist you give him your seat, if you sulk about it that's the end of it, if you have a bit of banter with him he'll send a drink your way...

He's not sad old and lonely, he just wants his seat and he's going to get it either way, if the pub is busy he'll stand and wait, but he's not too good on his feet so this seat is perfect for him. Close to toilets, smoking area and in view of the bar to get bar man's attention . If my dad was standing for more than 5 minutes, the bar man would move the person himself, has happened.

Sorry for rambling :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

anyone else think that it's practices like this that are contributing to pub closures?
    whether it be by the barman getting involved himself, or just by condoning the sort of actions mentioned by the OP, they're driving away multiple potential regulars to keep one or two customers happy.
    I don't think it's coinidence that pubs like this are empty for so much of the day, when you create the "League of Gentlemen, This Is A Local Shop" kind of atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

anyone else think that it's practices like this that are contributing to pub closures?
    whether it be by the barman getting involved himself, or just by condoning the sort of actions mentioned by the OP, they're driving away multiple potential regulars to keep one or two customers happy.
    I don't think it's coinidence that pubs like this are empty for so much of the day, when you create the "League of Gentlemen, This Is A Local Shop" kind of atmosphere.

Nope. I think it's what you're describing is what's killing pubs. I like going to a pub I consider a local. I like talking to the regulars, a lot of them are good people. Many have their own issues, some of them serious issues with people, but they generally, and genuinely care about the people they see in and out regularly. To some of them it's the only friendship left to them. A lot of these people are older Irish men. They're old and frail, and have very likely have nothing left but this. And that's cool, and I'm glad they have somewhere they can go and be accepted.

Although I generally don't go to pubs full of hate. So your mileage may vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

should have smashed a bar stool off his face

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    He was rude enough to ask for the seat in the first place, whether he asked politely or not.

Is 93 the yeat of your birth? You have a lot to learn about the politics of the local boozer.

Is 93 the yeat of your birth? You have a lot to learn about the politics of the local boozer.

Demanding your traditional seat and refusing to sit somewhere else is simply childish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Why do people assume he was a lonely old man? Is there a certain cut off age where you stop being a dick and people take your side. Personally i wouldn't mind if i was asked to move. But you're actually doing them a favour by moving, they shouldn't get to demand it.

Advertisement