Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 100Mbit/sec only 50 through wifi

Options
  • 04-06-2012 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi Guys. I have a 100 Mbit/sec UPC cable connection.
    The Thomson router they supply is only g speed so the max achievable speed over wifi is 50 Mbit/sec.

I understand that UPC only allows they hardwer to work on the network as they monitoring they MAC address, so to achieve full speed over the wifi network I will need to connect an n speed router to my Thomson router via cable, then bridge it.

I was just wondeing if anyone looked in to it,
    what is the best preferably amped n router out there?
    (Our apartment is very long the PC will be about 12 meters from the wifi point.)

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

The Thomson TWG870u that UPC supply is Wireless N.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Your wireless card also needs to be "n".

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭szita2000

Thanks for the replys. I think I have a "cold spot" in my apartment, and it seems that I happened to put the computer right there.

I can test bang on 50Mbit/sec over wifi when my iMac is right next to the router, and when I took the computer bak to the bedroom where it will stay I only getting 7.5Mbit/sec. Oddly my iphone would test 11 Mbit/sec sitting in the chair in front of the computer. WTF?!?

So I pulled the computer forward a bit right up to the edge of the desk it sits on, and hey presto ! I managed to test ove 13 Mbit/sec !

So it is definately a bad spot. but after all the tyresome trying and fiddling with the settings I just went out and bought a pair of powerline plugs.

Ka-ching ! Close to 100 Mbit/sec.

So thanks for your help. I think I will stay on cable for now.

Advertisement