Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas BBQ Question

• 04-06-2012 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong forum,

We've a gas bbq that runs from the grey calor patio gas bottles and a friends has given me 2 of the yellow gas bottles which are full but of course they don't fit.

It is possible to replace the connector to have the bbq use the yellow gas bottles instead?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

BrianjG wrote: »
    Sorry if this is the wrong forum,

We've a gas bbq that runs from the grey calor patio gas bottles and a friends has given me 2 of the yellow gas bottles which are full but of course they don't fit.

It is possible to replace the connector to have the bbq use the yellow gas bottles instead?

Thanks.

Yes it is. You are probably using propane up til now. Your friends prob have you butane gas. You need an adaptor for the connection on the top of the butane bottles as the propane connector won't fit. The adapters cost €20 in B&Q.
    Some people say butane isn't as good as propane (lower calorific value) but we use it in our BBQ (we converted from
    Propane to butane) and it cooks perfectly well and very quickly and is also much easier to buy than propane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Thats great. Is there a name of the thing I'm looking for or do I just explain what I want to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

it's called a regulator.

i'm reliably informed that propane burns at a lower temperature and is more suited for bbq's etc than butane which is more suited to internal heating etc.

one thing to consider is that you will probably burn out the burners quicker if you change the propane regulator to a butane regulator.

Check the warranty before you do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭1865

Butane gives a little less heat but the major drawback is that it doesn't work very well in the cold. you're probably not going to do much barbecuing in January so it won't matter at all.

There is a noticeable drop in the flow of gas in the very cold.

Make sure that you fit the host and regulator properly - you don't want gas leaking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

thanks all for the advice. I got the new piece the other day. Now just waiting for the rain to feck off so I can use it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

When you connect the new regulator, spray some soapy water on the connection, if you have a leak you'll see bubbles.
    Happy BBQing.

Advertisement