Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your definition of democracy?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Personnally I think that with all the failings of our current system, there is freedom of choice, and anybody who has the ambition to get elected to he Dail realistically can. It won't be easy but if you can convince enough people to vote for you you will get elected.

The problem is that people generally vote for the local heroes. This is fair enough, its a by-product of the system. But I think one solution is to provide a better education on the political process - ie that just because Lowry got planning for your house, it doesnt mean that he is the best person to have in national government.

Aside from education, the system has to change. However the only way this will happen is if the government changes it, but the government is full of guys benefitting from the current system. So what is going to have to happen is that somebody is strong willed enough get elected now under the current system and convince enough people on the inside to change it to a better one.

In relation to the OP, I think its a crackpot idea. But no matter what, change is gradual, so if you want to make any changes you will have to start at the bottom and work your way up, which generally means you are gonna have to succeed in the current "bad" system in order to create a better one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Democracy cant work in a country with such drastic class divides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

guitarzero wrote: »
    Democracy cant work in a country with such drastic class divides.

True. What are they,just to clarify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Chucken wrote: »
    True. What are they,just to clarify?

I think he was talking about India and got confused.

Advertisement