Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transitioning to Vegan

Options
  • 04-06-2012 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I've been slowly reducing my animal product intake over the last while, having first removed red meat, then dairy and now cutting out white meat intake. So at present I'm left with just fish and eggs.

Anyway before I cut out these I'm looking to plan my approach in relation to the main things which vegans can be deficient in which are the below and am looking for ideas to address them.

Calcium, iodine, iron, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B12 & vitamin D.

For omega-3 fatty acids I already consume flax seed and raw hemp seed protein powder. For iodine, I consume dried kelp powder and for Iron I consumer a lot of spinach and other greens which I think should cover me.

Anyway my question is will the above address the lack of these from meat and what do other people do for calcium, vitamin B12 and vitamin D? I would like if possible to get them via food as opposed to supplement but I believe in the case of B12 that many plant based sources are not digestible.

Worth baring in mind I lift weights and train regularly so I need a very large calorie intake and proxy vitamin intake and won't get by with the same intake as a yoga practicing vegan who doesn't over exert themselves.

Any advice or insight would be much appreciated.

Comments

Advertisement