Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Original xbox

Options
  • 04-06-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Lads

I'm thinking of picking up an original xbox.I've seen them pretty cheap on adverts.Apart from playing games is there anything else it can do?

Online gaming?
    Media player?
    DVD player?

Just to add I already have a ps3 and a 360.Just thought it would make a nice addition

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

It can't do anything the PS3 and 360 can't already do.

Online gaming would be very sparse nowadays.
    Media player functionality is only when modded and will never match the PS3/360
    DVD player needs a remote control accessory to work and again, wouldn't be a patch on the new consoles as they can upscale to a HDTV I assume you have.

Don't bother unless you want to play the older games that aren't supported by the 360's backwards compatibility emulator.

List of supported games is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

It can't do anything the PS3 and 360 can't already do.

Online gaming would be very sparse nowadays.
    DVD player needs a remote control accessory to work and again, wouldn't be a patch on the new consoles as they can upscale to a HDTV I assume you have.

Don't bother unless you want to play the older games that aren't supported by the 360's backwards compatibility emulator.

List of supported games is here.
    Live on the original Xbox does not work at all anymore, unless you use something like XBConnect, and thats more like simulating a system Link over and internet connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Have a look at the console modding forum. You can unlock a really good entertainment system if you mod it. I actually got my old modded console out and going again last week. It borked a few years ago and I never got round to fixing it. I spent the wekend with the kids playing old classics like Bobble Bobble street fighter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Schorpio

bennyc wrote: »
    Have a look at the console modding forum. You can unlock a really good entertainment system if you mod it. I actually got my old modded console out and going again last week. It borked a few years ago and I never got round to fixing it. I spent the wekend with the kids playing old classics like Bobble Bobble street fighter etc.

+1 to this.

I'd say definitely go for it. The original xboxs have been forgotten about pretty quickly due to it's relatively short lifespan (especially compared to the PS2) but I still love mine. Softmodding is the way to go if you're anyway technically inclined. A softmodded Xbox with XBMC on it is admittedly no match for the PS3's media functionality, but it's easily as good as a standard 360 (the 360 is a pretty poor media player imo). And XBMC does away with the need for the DVD remote too. XBMC also has a wide range of emulators available, so you can store and play your games from a number of consoles from yesteryear. And I haven't even started on the xbox games - Halo 1 & 2, PGR2, the original Forza, Rallisport Challenge, Ninja Gaiden, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, I could easily go on! Both the xbox and it's games can be picked up for buttons these days so there's no reason not to. Try to pick one up with a few games included, you won't regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You might want to rethink that one.

LIVE is turned off for the original Xbox, this is true.
    DVD Player isn't a problem, & when it's modded which I presume you'll want to, you no longer need the dvd remote.

It's ideal for a small HTPC/Media streamer & for the many original Xbox games which don't work on the 360's emulator.

XBMC_Main_Screen.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement