Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its the year 3012, who from 2012 will be

• 04-06-2012 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

remembered?

Obviously we don't know but who do you think has the best chance? My bet is someone like Lionel Messi, or Pele. If you consider that football has been around for over 100 years, very few players cement themselves in the minds of people, Pele is one such person and I think Messi will be another. So in a 1000 years, maybe no more than 50 of these iconic players will be remembered if you catch my drift?

I think the Beatles have a good chance and probably the first man/women who walks on mars.

Hitler, out of political figures of this era will prob be most likely to be remembered.

No scientist will be remembered, as whatever important discoveries are made in the next 50 years, will be made by huge teams, the days of one scientist being alligned to a particular discovery are over. Einstein could stand the test of time tho.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

Hitler wasnt around in 2012 as far as i'm aware...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Francis Crick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Unlikely that football players would be remembered much, if at all.
    Usually it's the baddies who get recorded in the history books.
    Usama bin laden, saddam Hussein & dick Cheney are much more likely to be remembered than some chap who could kick a football better than anybody else in the current generation of whiney metrosexual hair gel advert posterboys that pass as footballers these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

That robbin bastard bertie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Samantha Brick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Obviously we don't know but who do you think has the best chance? My bet is someone like Lionel Messi, or Pele. If you consider that football has been around for over 100 years, very few players cement themselves in the minds of people, Pele is one such person and I think Messi will be another. So in a 1000 years, maybe no more than 50 of these iconic players will be remembered if you catch my drift?

Football primadonnas remembered in 1000 years? Hah, and hah again. Frankly, not much of global importance has gone on in the past 20 years. A few wars in the West, bit of nuclear fallout. This will be seen as a rare period of stability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I wouldn't be so sure;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Why not? If football stays popular(which it prob won't) there is a much better chance the name Lionel Messi would be remembered over some obscure political figure from the 21st century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

The two lads, Osama and Obama. Me :cool:

Why not? If football stays popular(which it prob won't) there is a much better chance the name Lionel Messi would be remembered over some obscure political figure from the 21st century.
    Do you think Bieber will be remembered by then:confused:
    Do you honestly like his music?
    Do you like any other music at all?

• Advertisement

Not sure what it has to with thread, but in answer to questions
    Probably not
    Yes
    Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Jedward =: )

Look, chances are none of us will be remembered...any war we've had recently will be eclipsed by future wars making WWII look like an episode of Playdays. Only academics in 3012 could be bothered about the specifics of today. Ordinary folk who couldn't tell ya the name of somebody in 1012 will be same ordinary folk who in 3012 who can't name anyone from here. They'll be too busy with wormholes and the iPhoneXxxxxS5

Using the case of Lady Godiva, I think Rick Astley could be a dark horse, he'll prob be mentioned much in the same context as I have with Godiva when discussing who from 3012 will be remembered in 4012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They'll still be trying to win the Eurovision in 3012.

:rolleyes: Meh, in a 1000 years, he'll be considered part of this era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Yeah, the people from 3012 won't remember 2012 at all. From the 20th century - which isn't what you asked - Einstein is likely to be remembered, as Newton is now. In popular culture it's hard to say, but Elvis may be remembered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

remembered?

I think the Beatles have a good chance and probably the first man/women who walks on mars.

Hitler, out of political figures of this era will prob be most likely to be remembered.

No scientist will be remembered, as whatever important discoveries are made in the next 50 years, will be made by huge teams, the days of one scientist being alligned to a particular discovery are over. Einstein could stand the test of time tho.
    what sport did they play in 1012?
    what music did they play 1012?
    Whoever, if anyone will be remembered will depend on what happens between now and then

:rolleyes: Meh, in a 1000 years, he'll be considered part of this era.

True, but that is not the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I don't even know who Lionel Messi is now.

• Advertisement

The bastard son of Lionel Blair, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Especially once they cause the next Irish civil war :(

True, but that is not the thread title.

The thread title is open to interpretation, by mentioning Hitler obviously meant someone who is of this era.

Red21 wrote: »
    what sport did they play in 1012?
    what music did they play 1012?
    Whoever, if anyone will be remembered will depend on what happens between now and then

Well in the past 100 years, its the first time since we've been able to comprehensively record what we as human have been doing. Judging by the fact there is many people that would be aware of Roman gladiators and the likes, someone like Messi might be remembered.

You missed my question(s):p

Not sure what it has to with thread, but in answer to questions
    Probably not
    Yes
    Yes

There they are, ya must've missed em

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

1,000 years from now? Probably no-one. Maybe Barack Obama for being the first black American president, but there might well be no such thing as America in 1,000 years time, so I doubt it'll be seen as important. Nor will being black be a big deal then.

I doubt many political events will be remembered as the political context will have shifted so much by then that their contemporary relevance will probably be of little concern 1,000 years from now.
    9/11 might still be known, not due so much to the event itself, but the effect it had on the world and its cultural impact.

I'd be stupendously surprised if any sportspeople are remembered in 3012: the sports they represent now probably won't exist then, not as we recognise them.

However, I do think there will be whole academic departments devoted to arguing over what this little girl was running from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

Neil Armstrong
    Samantha Mumba
    Tim Berners-Lee (the man who invented the internet)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Im going to be boring and pick the pope, and the Queen. Their names will be in the history books anyway, id say John Paul II will be remembered more than the current guy, and if the queen lasts another 5 years, she'll be the longest serving british monarch ever.

• Advertisement

Joko wrote: »
    Neil Armstrong
    Samantha Mumba
    Tim Berners-Lee (the man who invented the internet)

If Tim Berbers-lee was famous now he wouldn't need the parenthesis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Judging by the fact there is many people that would be aware of Roman gladiators and the likes, someone like Messi might be remembered.
    How many Roman gladiators, aside from Maximus Decimus Meridius, could you name?
    & do you mean "remembered" or "have information stored on them on the internet somewhere"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

The person who eventually assasinates Justin Beiber. He will be remembered, honoured, and live as an example for all of society that good can triumph over evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

Richard Branson for his association with commercial space travel. Depending on how it develops, could be seen as a major milestone in the future.

Michael Jackson might be seen as inaugurating the history of drastic body modification, which is only going to get more pronounced.

While neither of these have contributed much, if anything, to the technology of space travel or plastic surgery, they might be the individuals with the most traction in the public mind.

More realistically, I would say no one at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Well if we're talking about the 20th century and early 21st century, then you'd have to say Hitler has a good chance of being remembered due to the impact he had and the silly look of him.

It's hard to tell with people who were the first to do or invented great things. They're not always remembered, especially if what they created/began becomes everyday. Someone living on a planet orbitting Alpha Centauri might not give a fig about Neil Armstrong. Nor might someone who has the internet implanted in their brain from birth care about Berners-Lee.

Their names will be recorded though, so they've a better chance of being remembered in 3012 than some important king from 1012 has of being remembered now.
    I'd say they'll largely be remembered by academic experts, but not the average Joe Jet-Pack.

I doubt that, i'd say you're only saying that because you have some half baked notion that saying such a thing will make yourself sound cool, if you came across a less well known person such as say, Charles Taylor (he as in the news this week) you wouldn't dare say such a thing because it might make you sound a little bit thick.

• Advertisement

Well in the past 100 years, its the first time since we've been able to comprehensively record what we as human have been doing. Judging by the fact there is many people that would be aware of Roman gladiators and the likes, someone like Messi might be remembered.
    In 300 years time the people may decide that keeping records of personalities from the past is a form of madness and abandon the thing altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Notable global leaders like JFK who lived in times of flux.
    Any scientists name who had a great impact, that's not to say they would be famous. Einstein is the safest bet i've heard.
    Footballers and pop stars? Forget it. Pop culture changes in a generation, never mind a thousand years.

In the long run it will be people who mattered for better our worse. It shows how up it's own ass our culture is that people would pick random celebrities.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

What I think is mad is that even by the year 2400 or whatever people will (hopefully) have access to videos and photographs of people doing stuff 400 - 500 years previously... surely that will be a bit spooky for them.

Also, I'd imagine somebody in the year 3012 looking back to our time will have little appreciation of how greatly living standards and technology increased every decade and even year. So they might look back and think the year 1930 was basically the same as 2030 with no appreciable improvements in living standards. Or even the difference in technology between say 2000 and 2010 which in my opinion has been incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Trying to think of an Irish man from a thousand years ago and Brian Boru was all I could come up with

And Enda Kenny is no Brian Boru!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Me.

• Advertisement

It could literally be anything from now. People have a habit of underestimating our own importance. I'd argue this generation is one of the most important in the history, and future of mankind. People go on about Egyptians and stuff but what humanity has done over past 100 years wins over all.

People will remain curious, they'll wanna know about the society that formed the foundations from which their whole existence comes from. It just depends what from now will make it in to some college course about '20th/21st century world' 1000 years from now.

Same way we're fascinated by the things that came before us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It could literally be anything from now. People have a habit of underestimating our own importance.

LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I doubt that, i'd say you're only saying that because you have some half baked notion that saying such a thing will make yourself sound cool, if you came across a less well known person such as say, Charles Taylor (he as in the news this week) you wouldn't dare say such a thing because it might make you sound a little bit thick.

I am aware there is someone called Lionel Messi. But I don't know what he looks like where he comes from or who he plays for. If he walked into the room right now I wouldn't have a clue who he was. So forgive me for doubting he'll be remembered in a thousand years time.

I was thinking before; there's 7 billion humans on earth nowadays. If a nuclear war kicked off by the time there were about 10 billion, even if 0.1% of the population survives, that's still 10 million humans left. Surely that's enough to rebuild civilisation, provided most of our important accumulated information is compiled away somewhere. Even if only 0.001% survive, that's still 100,000 people to rebuild the earth, it's still possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

What was the question again?

wait, just realised my post there has nothing to do with the question!

Was still a good post tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Not knowing who someone is makes you cool now ???

Oooohhhhhh no wonder - I've been doing it wrong til now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

yuppies wrote: »
    I was thinking before; there's 7 billion humans on earth nowadays. If a nuclear war kicked off by the time there were about 10 billion, even if 0.1% of the population survives, that's still 10 million humans left. Surely that's enough to rebuild civilisation, provided most of our important accumulated information is compiled away somewhere. Even if only 0.001% survive, that's still 100,000 people to rebuild the earth, it's still possible

But we'll all be living underground then after the nuclear fallout and we'll be fighting mutant monsters who wait for us to prey on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I couldn't disagree more. Pythagoras was around 2500 years ago and everyone still knows about him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement