Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its the year 3012, who from 2012 will be

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Red21 wrote: »
    I doubt that, i'd say you're only saying that because you have some half baked notion that saying such a thing will make yourself sound cool, if you came across a less well known person such as say, Charles Taylor (he as in the news this week) you wouldn't dare say such a thing because it might make you sound a little bit thick.

I had never heard of Messi until now. I have no interest in sport. It's well possible for someone to not know who some sports personality is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Daniel O'Donnell's sister, Margo.

Ruski wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree more. Pythagoras was around 2500 years ago and everyone still knows about him.

I think what he means is scientists don't have the same celebrity now as they used to, with very few exceptions. Someone like Stephen Hawking could be remembered because I think he's got the same level of celebrity as every other still famous scientist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I am aware there is someone called Lionel Messi. But I don't know what he looks like where he comes from or who he plays for. If he walked into the room right now I wouldn't have a clue who he was. So forgive me for doubting he'll be remembered in a thousand years time.
    Just because you don't know who somebody is doesn't make them any less famous. Really it just shows your ignorance that you don't know who the best player in the world at the most popular sport in the world is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Ficheall wrote: »
    How many Roman gladiators, aside from Maximus Decimus Meridius, could you name?
    & do you mean "remembered" or "have information stored on them on the internet somewhere"?

im sure he knows Spartacus was a gladiator :cool:

AdamD wrote: »
    Just because you don't know who somebody is doesn't make them any less famous. Really it just shows your ignorance that you don't know who the best player in the world at the most popular sport in the world is.

Or he has zero interest. Quick, who is GX Jupitter Larsen? I know him, lots of people I know know him, so should you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Well it would probably depend on who is doing the remembering, but I'd hazard a guess that the average person won't remember anyone from nowadays. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single person who I am positive was around in 1012.

Or he has zero interest. Quick, who is GX Jupitter Larsen? I know him, lots of people I know know him, so should you.

A quick google tells me hes probably known by about 0.0001% the amount of people Lionel Messi would be known by. Great comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

OP is no older than fifteen, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

yer man from the x factor. can't think of his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

He played for Celtic, didn't he?

A quick google tells me hes probably known by about 0.0001% the amount of people Lionel Messi would be known by. Great comparison.

But how do you now know who he is? He's popular with a lot of people. Maybe you and the others that have never heard of him have no interest. Just like some people have no interest in sport. Last big important thing I heard about anything in sport was Tiger Woods boned a bunch of chicks.

But how do you now know who he is? He's popular with a lot of people. Maybe you and the others that have never heard of him have no interest. Just like some people have no interest in sport. Last big important thing I heard about anything in sport was Tiger Woods boned a bunch of chicks.

Google came up with 65,300 results for him. I would not hear of his name or see him on TV in passing in every day life.

Google came up with 61,000,000 results for Lionel Messi. I would have to go out of my way to not hear about him or see him in every day life.

If I have no interest in his art I won't hear about him. If you have no interest in sport you will hear about Messi. That is the difference.

Just about everybody on the planet could do the macarena back in the nineties. It won't be done in one thousand years I should hope. There will be a million different sports personalities and other celebrities that come and go.
    They are a part of pop culture. The future will have it's own.

Google came up with 65,300 results for him. I would not hear of his name or see him on TV in passing in every day life.

Google came up with 61,000,000 results for Lionel Messi. I would have to go out of my way to not hear about him or see him in every day life.

If I have no interest in his art I won't hear about him. If you have no interest in sport you will hear about Messi. That is the difference.

I don't watch television, I watch individual shows on DVD. I don't read the newspaper, I read articles online. I listen to a select few radio shows, I prefer tuning into SomaFM which has no adverts or news on it, 100% music constantly. People I talk to don't care about sport and probably don't know who Messi is, either. It's way easier than you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mairzydoats

If Apple becomes like Cyberdyne Systems, then maybe Steve Jobs. The human who made it possible for cyborgs to exist. All hail Jobs!
    If you think a footballer will be remembered in 1,000 years, you're off your rocker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

EdenHazard wrote: »
    It could literally be anything from now. People have a habit of underestimating our own importance. I'd argue this generation is one of the most important in the history, and future of mankind. People go on about Egyptians and stuff but what humanity has done over past 100 years wins over all.

People will remain curious, they'll wanna know about the society that formed the foundations from which their whole existence comes from. It just depends what from now will make it in to some college course about '20th/21st century world' 1000 years from now.

Same way we're fascinated by the things that came before us.

I think that the 20th century, not now, is the basis of what the future will be. Inventions change culture, the inventions of the cinema, television, the electric guitar, recorded music created an explosion of energy at the start which can't continue at that level ( TV has got better though, and I put a lot of that down to changes in technology too, better recording and viewing technology. ).

So Elvis has a chance. So too has Dorothy. So too has its a wonderful life, which nobody will remake, associate something with Christmas and you are golden.

Anticipating some reaction to this I imagine people saying that Christmas may not survive 1,000 years. The response to this is that a mid winter festival has survived 1,000 of years in Northern Europe, and 3012 is probably closer to us than we are to 1012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

I had never heard of Messi until now. I have no interest in sport. It's well possible for someone to not know who some sports personality is.
    I don't watch television, I watch individual shows on DVD. I don't read the newspaper, I read articles online. I listen to a select few radio shows, I prefer tuning into SomaFM which has no adverts or news on it, 100% music constantly. People I talk to don't care about sport and probably don't know who Messi is, either. It's way easier than you think.
    Are you aware of Tiger Woods, Mike tyson, Micheal Jordan,Muhammad Ali ? at one time or other all these people were considered to be the best at their sport and this is what made them famous if you're claiming ignorance of who Messi is, it's quiet possible you've never heard of these either beceause as well known as these are, they are personalities from sports that aren't as popular as soccer is.
    To be able to post on boards.ie and claim never to have heard of someone who's generally considered to be the best player at the biggest sport in the world is very hard to believe mainly because i've never meet such a person. I believe its far more likely that you actually have heard of messi but say you havn't, why you do this, I can only guess that it's some kinda attempt at standing out or being cool.
    Why do you do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

EdenHazard wrote: »
    remembered?

Obviously we don't know but who do you think has the best chance? My bet is someone like Lionel Messi, or Pele. If you consider that football has been around for over 100 years, very few players cement themselves in the minds of people, Pele is one such person and I think Messi will be another. So in a 1000 years, maybe no more than 50 of these iconic players will be remembered if you catch my drift?

I think the Beatles have a good chance and probably the first man/women who walks on mars.

Hitler, out of political figures of this era will prob be most likely to be remembered.

No scientist will be remembered, as whatever important discoveries are made in the next 50 years, will be made by huge teams, the days of one scientist being alligned to a particular discovery are over. Einstein could stand the test of time tho.

How many sports stars can you name from the year 1000 OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I have no idea who Messi is either ?
    What sport does he play ?

When you say his name is Lionel Messi I automatically assumed he is some sort of super-geek.

Lionel. Who is called Lionel ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Lionel. Who is called Lionel ?

Messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭thomasj

I believe in reincarnation and that I will be around in 3012.

Of course the odd strange dream will make me wonder was i alive in another form in 2012 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

To be able to post on boards.ie and claim never to have heard of someone who's generally considered to be the best player at the biggest sport in the world is very hard to believe mainly because i've never meet such a person.
    Would you know who Magnus Carlsen is? Officially the current top player, and ranked as the second greatest player ever, in what is cited as the second largest sporting organisation in the world...

I've heard of Messi, but I've no idea what he looks like, where he's from, or what team he plays for. Moreover, I could not care less.

edit: The Special Olympics may have overtaken as second largest sporting organisation in the world in recent years. Mind you, I couldn't name a single Special Olympics athlete either...

Every time I hear that name I picture lionel richie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,828 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why are people so disbelieving and even offended that other people do not know of their heros? Like many of the others I have not the remotest idea who Messi is, his name is slightly familiar, in that I may have heard someone say it on tv, but without the context that has been mentioned on this thread I would not have been able to say whether he was a soccer player, a pop star or just a random 'celebrity'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭bull_ring

id hazard a guess that the majority of americans and chineese people have never heard of lionel messi , the two most powerfull countries in the world and two of the largest three populations

a thousand years is a very long time indeed

as someone said earlier , the really bad guys tend to get remembered

stalin and hitler will most likely still be remembered , the only genocidal powerfull leader that ( MOST ) non academics remember today from a thousand years ago or more is genghis khan

besides , a sizeable number of people might even be living on another planet with a thousand years though that might be leaving things tight

interesting question OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I have no idea who Messi is either ?
    What sport does he play ?

So you had to click 'Quote' then type all of that, finally click 'Post'... You could have just highlighted Messi and searched from a right click. They'll probably remember me in 3012 for informing the masses of such an earth shattering discovery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭bull_ring

in the words of homer simposon

you must be the most boring person in the entire world :pac:

Are you aware of Tiger Woods, Mike tyson, Micheal Jordan,Muhammad Ali ? at one time or other all these people were considered to be the best at their sport and this is what made them famous if you're claiming ignorance of who Messi is, it's quiet possible you've never heard of these either beceause as well known as these are, they are personalities from sports that aren't as popular as soccer is.
    To be able to post on boards.ie and claim never to have heard of someone who's generally considered to be the best player at the biggest sport in the world is very hard to believe mainly because i've never meet such a person. I believe its far more likely that you actually have heard of messi but say you havn't, why you do this, I can only guess that it's some kinda attempt at standing out or being cool.
    Why do you do this?

Not knowing someone is cool? Fuck, agoraphobics must be the coolest of all the people, so! I know of Tiger Woods because he screwed some chick or whatever, no idea why that's important. I know Mike Tyson because I think he bit some guys ear. I know Michael Jordan because he was in Space Jam, I know Ali because of a conversation I had about who would win, him or Bruce Lee, I had no clue who he was before that. To be able to post on boards.ie and not know who GX Jupitter Larsen is, one of the most prominent living conceptual sound artists is hard to believe because everyone I associate with knows who he is. Maybe you're trying to be cool. You just come off as a bit of a dipsh!t.
    bull_ring wrote: »
    in the words of homer simposon

you must be the most boring person in the entire world

I'm pretty boring. No one will know who I am in 3012.

Shryke wrote: »
    Every time I hear that name I picture lionel richie.

Yeah thats what I immediately thought of.

c_man wrote: »
    So you had to click 'Quote' then type all of that, finally click 'Post'... You could have just highlighted Messi and searched from a right click. They'll probably remember me in 3012 for informing the masses of such an earth shattering discovery.

You misunderstand. I don't actually care nor want to know who he is. I was merely pointing out to the other guy I had no idea who this guy is as he was attacking someone else over this apparently incredulous fact.

In fact if this is ballfoot related - I actively avoid anything to do with ballfoot. If there was a browser ad on that blocked anything to do with ballfoot in the same way that ad blockers block ads - I would install it.

• Advertisement

Reeling in the years will still be on the equivalent of tv. Get yourself on that and you will be immortal.
    Other than that, no one will be remembered. Technology will have moved on so much that no one will be remembered for it from this era.
    No sports person or celebrity will be remembered because in the next 1000 years the achievements from this era will be insignificant.
    Invent something truely novel that will be the foundation of a technology for the next millennia and you just might be remembered. Do something truely evil to mankind on a massive scale and your memory will live on.

Technology will have moved on so much that no one will be remembered for it from this era.

Its easy to think that. But couple of days ago I saw a documentary on this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

This was a mechanical device that predicted the motion of the planets, solar and lunar eclipses down to the hour of the day with total accuracy even accounting for the eliptical wobble of the moon etc. Its about 2000 year old, and nothing of this complexity was seen again until the 1900's or so.

Thats pretty mindblowing I think. Just because we think we have things sussed now, we might be only one natural disaster or war away from the stone age really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭Archeron

Norman Borlaug. The man who may just possibly have made their world and existence possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

1,000 years from now? Probably no-one. Maybe Barack Obama for being the first black American president, but there might well be no such thing as America in 1,000 years time, so I doubt it'll be seen as important. Nor will being black be a big deal then.

I'd say there's a good chance Obama and a few US presidents will be remembered. The Roman Empire doesn't exist anymore and a lot of people still know the likes of Julius Caeser, Caligula and Nero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

yuppies wrote: »
    I was thinking before; there's 7 billion humans on earth nowadays. If a nuclear war kicked off by the time there were about 10 billion, even if 0.1% of the population survives, that's still 10 million humans left. Surely that's enough to rebuild civilisation, provided most of our important accumulated information is compiled away somewhere. Even if only 0.001% survive, that's still 100,000 people to rebuild the earth, it's still possible

But we'll all be living underground then after the nuclear fallout and we'll be fighting mutant monsters who wait for us to prey on...

...and David Icke will write another book telling us he was right all along! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Messi remembered in a thousand years? :confused: LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Ben Hadad

Sachin Tendulkar is probably more famous than Messi anyway. Yet I bet all the people who think Messi will become immortal have never heard of him.

Young people have a really bad lacking in perspective, because they are only recently fully mentally conscience. It's a stupid question if I may say so, which is a little rude but how and ever.

Ozymandias
    I met a traveller from an antique land
    Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desart. Near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

Ben Hadad wrote: »
    Sachin Tendulkar is probably more famous than Messi anyway. Yet I bet all the people who think Messi will become immortal have never heard of him.

Young people have a really bad lacking in perspective, because they are only recently fully mentally conscience. It's a stupid question if I may say so, which is a little rude but how and ever.

It is probably naive to think that you have any chance of correctly answering the question, but the question in itself is not stupid as long as we accept that it's all just idle speculation. Ultimately, these speculations might tell us something about how we value things in the present day, but almost certainly nothing about the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I suppose you could say it is ignorance on my part but I don't really feel any guilt over it. I don't care about this Messi chap or any other soccer players and I don't really have any desire to know anything about them. To waste time learning anything about them would be idiotic in the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

3012? I don't expect this race will make it to 2112 before we're all enslaved by great computers, run by high priests in their technological temples, which will run every aspect of our lives from cradle to grave. They'll take care of everything - the words we read, the songs we sing - we'll never need to wonder how or why. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Perhaps the Queen considering she could be the longest reigning British monarch, and most people remember Roman Emperors. Likes of Hitler, perhaps Stalin, maybe Ahmadinejad if he does something spectacular, if someone starts World War 3.

Perhaps even Bin Laden, considering someone like Guy Fawkes is still remembered.

Likes of Armstrong or even Gagarin have a strong chance, first person to walk on Mars.

Religious leaders have a good chance if their religion is still around in 1000 years, which some will more than likely will.

If someone cures cancer , perhaps them. Whoever creates a human level AI system will probably be remembered

Tim Berners Lee, in pretty much the same way Gutenberg is remembered now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Possibly the Scientology guy, if the religion keeps growing. I don't even remember his name, but I guess Jesus could have been the same. It would only take the religion's continued growth and someone to come along in a few hundred years to alter the history books a bit and claim he performed some miracles.

In terms of sports - I think Messi has not a chance for many reasons. He's not even indisputably the best football player of the last 20 or 50 years and there are many other sports to compete with also. He would need to be at the level of fame of Muhammad Ali and he's not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

People we remember from the 1000's was mainly to do with war, or travel. So my guess is saddam Hussein and Katherine Thomas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

People from 1012 arent remembered, there is just information stored on them in books and digitally which we can look up and read about. I imagine the important people of 2012 will be in the same in 1000 years time. (If humanity hasnt destroyed itself by then)

John Bowman was saying recently on his radio program that today's digitizing of information could pose a problem for tomorrow's historians. If data is increasing relied on to be available online and there are less and less hardcopies, what will happen if there is a global catastrophy... Also can we be certain that future generations will be able to understand / decipher this data taking into account their own technology will most probably be highly advanced / alien to ours in every way.

As for Messi and sports people in general, these sports will either be forgotten or changed immeasurably from what we know today so its unlikely these players will be remembered. In the same way that some names of successful celebrity gladiators are known to historians, Messi will be known to academics who study ancient civilisations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

The only thing that will be remembered from soccer, will be the stadiums. Individual players will not. Maybe ferguson could be remembered as a great leader, but I doubt it.

Even in 100 years, alot of the soccer stars may be forgotten.

Movies could be the equivalent of how gods were worshipped back millennia ago. Soccer stars along with singers possibly may be the same actually.

I'd love to know what will be remembered, but obviously I never will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

The face eating fella in america, who in the year 3012 will be known as patient one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Ben Hadad wrote: »

Ozymandias

The idea that Messi will be widely known in 3012 is rubbish, but Sachin Tendulkar is unknown outside cricket circles, a minority sport in most countries. And you are right, I had never heard of him, until I googled him.

Oh, and Ozymandias poem actually disproves what it sets out to prove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

White people...In a thousand years we may all be an Obama type colour due to mixed relationships etc, Everybody will laugh at photo's of whites.:p Unlikely though but possible.

Vladimir Putin, I reckon he will be remembered in a 1000yrs, The possibility is there that he may well be involved in something big, A possible union of ex soviet states, reclaiming Crimea etc

Queen Elizabeth the second, We all know the Brits love pomp and ceremony, When they celebrate the thousand anniversary of winning the World Cup, The Queen will get a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

yuppies wrote: »
    I was thinking before; there's 7 billion humans on earth nowadays. If a nuclear war kicked off by the time there were about 10 billion, even if 0.1% of the population survives, that's still 10 million humans left. Surely that's enough to rebuild civilisation, provided most of our important accumulated information is compiled away somewhere. Even if only 0.001% survive, that's still 100,000 people to rebuild the earth, it's still possible

Happened before with as little as 1000 breeding pairs surviving.

EDIT: The nucler war bit obviously didn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement