Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its the year 3012, who from 2012 will be

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

Conor108 wrote: »
    Happened before with as little as 1000 breeding pairs surviving.

EDIT: The nucler war bit obviously didn't.

Aye, that's what I had in mind!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

None of them .Of that i'm certain .

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Anne Doyle.
    Yer man that invented cheese string.

And those rascals Obama and Osama:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Yer man, what's his name, he did that yoke after he did that other thing and now he could be dead but I don't know. Ye know yer man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Im going to go for Angela Merkel, for establishing the Third Reich in europe,
    Osama bin Laden for starting the rise of Islam in America, making it a muslim state within 300 years,
    yer man from China, for the colonisation of Africa,
    and Stephen Hawking, for being the first human conscience to be sucessfully transported onto computer, now he controls the internet, and everything we see, hear, think and do, he is God...
    .time for bed, i think

Edit, and L Ron Hubbard aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭SeanW

Red21 wrote: »
    To be able to post on boards.ie and claim never to have heard of someone who's generally considered to be the best player at the biggest sport in the world is very hard to believe mainly because i've never meet such a person. I believe its far more likely that you actually have heard of messi but say you havn't, why you do this, I can only guess that it's some kinda attempt at standing out or being cool.
    Why do you do this?
    To be able to post on boards.ie and not know who GX Jupitter Larsen is, one of the most prominent living conceptual sound artists is hard to believe because everyone I associate with knows who he is. Maybe you're trying to be cool. You just come off as a bit of a dipsh!t.
    Whoa, easy tigers. I've never heard of either of those people (I don't follow football) and frankly I doubt I am alone. Not everyone has the same preferences, values etc, and there will be some people who are known by many, unknown by others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Hate to say it, but i think Steve Jobs maybe an iconic figure in the future especially seen Apple will probably end up like some sci-fi film "Corporation" ruling the world.
    Nobody from sports or TV will be remembered, but history in the future will have to be very selective as so much information will be available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

More realistically, I would say no one at all.

Thinking back 1000 years (or greater) I think everyone here could name someone. My first thought was Julius Caesar.

I don't like the argument that in the past 100 years, humans have become recordable. The important one's were always recorded, be it in paintings or stories. All that technology has done has made it easier for the unimportant people to record themselves.

If America is still around then, Barack Obama will be a quiz question answer.

In regards pop culture, I think just two have the possibility - Elvis and Marilyn Monroe, purely because they are on so many bloody things. Who knows, Andy Warhol's picture of Marilyn Monroe could be the Mona Lisa of the future.

AdamD wrote: »
    If I have no interest in his art I won't hear about him. If you have no interest in sport you will hear about Messi. That is the difference.

Stop starting a soccer fight. Bipoler Joe has already mentioned that he has heard of him. Messi will only be famous in 1000 years time if he wins at least one World Cup and 8 Champions Leagues. Until then, Steve Redgrave and Michael Phelps have a greater chance of being remembered (or at least until their feats are broken)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Trappatoni, if all goes well we will be worse than the English, probably some massive gig in the Phoenix Park in 2012 to commerate our sole tite :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Andy Carroll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Michael Jackson certainly will. Tough question actually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

Messi is just a poor man's Maradona...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,073 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Frankel :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Thinking a sports person would be remembered in 1000 years is laughable. There will be thousands of superior athletes over the next 1000 years. Messi ffs, there will be people laughing at us in 20 years time for saying he is the greatest of all time. He is nowhere near as talented as the great <insert future star here>.

I'd go with Hitler. The technology innovators of our time may stand the test of time also. The Arab spring may also be a phenomenon remembered for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,073 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

To be able to post on boards.ie and not know who GX Jupitter Larsen is...
    Who ?
    one of the most prominent living conceptual sound artists
    ah yeah, right.
    everyone I associate with knows who he is
    i'd say it would be one hell of a party with your crowd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Ali, the most famous sports person ever.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

bnt wrote: »
    3012? I don't expect this race will make it to 2112 before we're all enslaved by great computers, run by high priests in their technological temples, which will run every aspect of our lives from cradle to grave. They'll take care of everything - the words we read, the songs we sing - we'll never need to wonder how or why. :cool:

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

In 3012 humans will know only that which our machine overlords teach us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

A handful of monarch's, political leaders and influential scientists may be remembered.

My money would be on

Queen Elizabeth 2
    Barack Obama
    Stephen Hawking

Maybe Peter Higgs if his particle turns out to exist.

I would be surprised if Messi is remembered by more than a handful of Soccer enthusiasts after 50 years have passed. He is an exceptional player, but i don't think he is any more exceptional than Pele or Maradona were in their day and their popularity has declined significantly in last few decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

If there's any justice, Eduard Khil, the trolololol song guy, will be immortalised

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

when the muslims take over all record of any western culture will be burned destroyed aside from Gary Glitter and maybe that guy from Hollyoaks who murdered all the young ones.

The Famous of to-day will go the way of famous people of the past who also had great fame .Who want's to read Shakespeare these day's ???? "We're 'doin' Shakespeare " one young student said . It's amazing how quickly Icons fade into the shadows only kept in the public eye by a business aspect .The Publishing Houses have a life support system for them and pump money into the Corpse's from time to time . Only older people listen to sinatra and others from those decades .Bono's tagged to macca to help keep him going i don't know what macca was doing with him in the first place .

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

gubbie wrote: »
    Thinking back 1000 years (or greater) I think everyone here could name someone. My first thought was Julius Caesar.

I don't like the argument that in the past 100 years, humans have become recordable. The important one's were always recorded, be it in paintings or stories. All that technology has done has made it easier for the unimportant people to record themselves.

Julius Caesar? Don't think he was around by 1012.

Just discovered that the rebellion that led to the Battle of Clontarf began in 1012. From that period, the name of Brian Boru is still remembered. Maybe in 1000 years time people will be drinking an ale named after Joe Duffy or Roy Keane or something.

That recording issue disturbs me too. Imagine if one of your descendants is researching family history for school or the future equivalent of "Who do you think you are?" It's quite possible they will be able to figure out what names you posted under in online forums such as this. Creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

From 1,000 years ago (or so) there's Alhazen, Avicenna, Brian Boru, Canute, El Cid, Guido of Arezzo, William the Conqueror, Macbeth, Peter the Hermit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Ishmael wrote: »
    My money would be on

Queen Elizabeth 2
    Barack Obama
    Stephen Hawking
    Queen Elizabeth 2?

Is she about to overhaul next generation nuclear technology or something? She has certainly been an institution in herself, but given her actual importance I'd say she's going to be about 50 times less important than Harold II from the 11th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

later12 wrote: »
    Ishmael wrote: »
    My money would be on

Queen Elizabeth 2
    Barack Obama
    Stephen Hawking
    Queen Elizabeth 2?

Is she about to overhaul next generation nuclear technology or something? She has certainly been an institution in herself, but given her actual importance I'd say she's going to be about 50 times less important than Harold II from the 11th century.

The idea is she may become the longest reigning monarch, whether that stat lasts 1000 years or not. Barrack is first black president. I don't think the UK or US will survive 1000 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Brian Cowen will be the subject of conversation in that year but only because his great great great great grandson Terilligan Cowen will be there to hand over the last repayment of our bailout thus reinstating New Germany to it's former name, Ireland.

Incidentally Terilligan will also feature on the Late Late Show that evening with original host Gay Byrne being asked to step in again to present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The idea is she may become the longest reigning monarch, whether that stat lasts 1000 years or not. Barrack is first black president. I don't think the UK or US will survive 1000 years.

Doesn't really matter if the country survives or not. We still remembers Emperors of the Roman Empire and that doesn't exist anymore

titan18 wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter if the country survives or not. We still remembers Emperors of the Roman Empire and that doesn't exist anymore

We remember names and little else .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

paddyandy wrote: »
    We remember names and little else .

names, and conquests, and the history of the empire

true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Julius Caesar? Don't think he was around by 1012.

Duh. Hence the (or greater)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

gubbie wrote: »
    Duh. Hence the (or greater)

I noticed that, but honestly didn't think anyone would bother to state such a bleeding obvious point as you were making, so I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt by ignoring the "or greater". Duh yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

nobody, the world is ending this year. apocalypse party :/

names, and conquests, and the history of the empire

Yes if you're not long out of collage or you like history .'Mostly forgotten otherwise within a few years and replaced by newer useless information as most history is .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Obama has a good chance, but I think he'll be eclipsed by the first non biracial black person in significance over time.

Race won't matter in 1000 years. Aliens will come to earth just like in the tv series V. It will be human vs alien.

Advertisement