Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours plants overgowing wall , etiquette?

Options
  • 04-06-2012 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭

not a major gripe but on 2 of my boundry walls, 1 being about 8ft high I have a alot of maintenance, the whole back wall is covered in ivy coming over wall from the house behind and on another side again a mixture of ivy and other nasties that need to be trimmed on a regular basis.

In particular with the ivy coming over the back wall, are the neighbours under any obligation to control it? we are talking about 30 ft across and now its at ground level on our side.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

You should have mentioned it before it got to ground level .. Why is it a problem now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You are within your rights to cut it back to your boundry, but the law says that you're not allowed to dispose of it without your neighbour's permission (I don't worry about asking permission of my neighbours because I know them well enough to know they're not going to get snippy about getting rid of some trimmings). I'd say cut it back, let them know you're going to do it first, and just ask them to cut it before it gets over the wall in future.

I know how you feel though; as I said my neighbour's have ivy that comes over and through my wall and it annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

You should have mentioned it before it got to ground level .. Why is it a problem now ?

I wuoldnt know the neighbours at the back to talk to but when we planted up the garden about 10 years ago it was easier to get at the wall, now its kind of hard to get at with compost bins, apple tree and other srubs. Its easier in the winter though so might be a job for the Autumn

Kylith wrote:
    You are within your rights to cut it back to your boundry, but the law says that you're not allowed to dispose of it without your neighbour's permission

how bizarre, counter intuitive to say the least. I doubt they'd care though. Apart from the work involved I'm a little worried that it might be damaging the wall

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement