Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked the bodywork on camper - help!

Options
  • 04-06-2012 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi,

To cut a long story short, I hit the guttering of our house with the top of my campervan and have left an inch long crack in the bodywork at the top rear left hand of the camper, just beside the awning. (See pics)

Now I will get it repaired professionally but it won't be for a few weeks. I'm aware that any crack, no matter how small, can let moisture in so what's the best thing to do? I was thinking covering it with some waterproof silicon to stop any moisture entering. Any advice or other ideas?

So f**king mad with myself!!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

Pics included this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

when i had my little incident in our last van i used ducked tape as a temp fix,get it covered asap you dont want any moisture geting in
    Any decent panel beater should be able to sort that also you may be able to claim on your insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭cygnet

have used these before they come to your location and do the repair - have to say I was very impressed. Noel is the owners name and he has a camper van himself thats how we met

Autosmartsystems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

From the pics it looks like GRP. If this is so you can get a GRP/Gel Coat repair kit, the best source for this kind of stuff is a marine shop.

A place that fixes holes in boats should be well qualified to repair the damage, an auto panel beaters might not have the experience.

Your awning looks like it got a belt too, don't forget you have insurance for such accidental damage and a claim wont effect next years premium, I know this for a fact if you have your cover from Dolmen :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

Thanks for the replies. Got sorted with Duck tape until I get it looked at. Awning cover got a knock alright but was easily fixed.

Roll on next trip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

yrrag1974 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Got sorted with Duck tape until I get it looked at. Awning cover got a knock alright but was easily fixed.

Roll on next trip.

Easy to repair yourself just look at the millions of surfboard repair guides online, preparation is key. Sail repair tape is much better for the job than duck tape which weathers hard and flies off eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Also ensure the impact didnt crack any of the sealant along the outermost edges of the van(under the trim basically in that general area)
    If it does it will need a quick reseal.

I clipped the guttering aswell once...thankfully the guttering lost!!

BTW if your looking to replace that part of your awning i think its called an "awning spoiler"...

Marty.

Advertisement