Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hereford bulls

• 04-06-2012 11:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭

hello there

anyone got any idea what pedigree hereford bulls are making right now , around the 15 mth age , might the drop in cattle price has dragged them down a bit

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

bull_ring wrote: »
    hello there

anyone got any idea what pedigree hereford bulls are making right now , around the 15 mth age , might the drop in cattle price has dragged them down a bit

thanks

dragged them down a bit alright a breeder near me told me he sold his worst one friday for 2100e

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭bull_ring

simx wrote: »
    dragged them down a bit alright a breeder near me told me he sold his worst one friday for 2100e

im not talking about show winners which get mentioned in the farmers journal pedigree pages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

We were quoted 2,500 for an angus today - under 2.5 year old

not in any shows either as far as i know

Tipp Man wrote: »
    We were quoted 2,500 for an angus today - under 2.5 year old

not in any shows either as far as i know

thats average elite bull price , check shirley busteeds page from the recent angus sales in various parts of the country

sellers get swelled heads and think any angus is worth what the anual bull sale of angus,s make

an average breeders bulls shouldnt be worth that much more than beef price , thats all they were making in the past , anytime ive ever bought a bull for heifers or cows , ive only ever lost a max of 200 quid when selling him in the beef rings ten weeks later , if you buy a bull at 2500 , you dont get 2300 for him at the end of the summer and no one will want him for breeding at that stage , granted i dont buy prize winning or even the kind of bulls that enter special sales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

you buying or selling?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

thats average elite bull price , check shirley busteeds page from the recent angus sales in various parts of the country

sellers get swelled heads and think any angus is worth what the anual bull sale of angus,s make

an average breeders bulls shouldnt be worth that much more than beef price , thats all they were making in the past , anytime ive ever bought a bull for heifers or cows , ive only ever lost a max of 200 quid when selling him in the beef rings ten weeks later , if you buy a bull at 2500 , you dont get 2300 for him at the end of the summer and no one will want him for breeding at that stage , granted i dont buy prize winning or even the kind of bulls that enter special sales

I know - i had to pick myself off the floor when he said it

1800 is the mark we were expecting

Tipp Man wrote: »
    I know - i had to pick myself off the floor when he said it

1800 is the mark we were expecting

and you will get one at it too , no bother

sale in carrick on shannon in a week or two , this time of year , demand is reduced , mostly lads who are finished AI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

and you will get one at it too , no bother

sale in carrick on shannon in a week or two , this time of year , demand is reduced , mostly lads who are finished AI
    unreal demand for angus bulls this year and we dont charge €2500

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

i paid 2300 last week for a an a 19mth old hereford.really nice animal though.have to admit shocked at the price a bit,but happy with the bull.

i paid 2300 last week for a an a 19mth old hereford.really nice animal though.have to admit shocked at the price a bit,but happy with the bull.

cant see bulls being the colour of what they are now in twelve months time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

im not talking about show winners which get mentioned in the farmers journal pedigree pages

he wasnt and that was out of the yard,18mnths though

simx wrote: »
    he wasnt and that was out of the yard,18mnths though

some people perfer to ask big money and hold on to what they have than be more modest and achieve a sale , the bull sale season has passed its peak yet their still asking the same as they were at the begining of april

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

angus' great trade this year.. up there and above wat contentials are making.. and justly so... as they are producing top cattle... men realise now,they can get good money for there angus cattle+ easier on there herd in general.. health wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

wiggy123 wrote: »
    angus' great trade this year.. up there and above wat contentials are making.. and justly so... as they are producing top cattle... men realise now,they can get good money for there angus cattle+ easier on there herd in general.. health wise
    Spoken like a true breeder !!!!!!!!
    I wonder how many of these were bought by Dairy guys looking to cash in on the inflated calf prices for beef calves this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭capslock88

i sold a few 15mth old herefords in the last week or two for between 1800 and 2100....that's pretty much where theyre at for a good type of bull..

i don't think theyre overpriced when you see hex bullocks about similar weight (550-600kg) making 1200-1300 in the mart...or hereford calves freely making €400 all through the spring...

Advertisement