Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be proud of Greystones

Options
  • 04-06-2012 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hey,
    just a bit of a rant about greystones. I moved to gstones with my family in 1988. We came from germany due to my fathers work. my father was a research manager and my mother was a physiotheraphist. He got offered a great job here just after i was born. My mother, me and my brother got dragged from Koln to north wicklow to ensure he could further his career.

So all i remember from my early childhood is the "glenroe" theme from sunday(8:30, i think, bed time afterwards) nights and playing for greystones united in darcys field. I hated getting changed in freezing tin cans!

Anyways now live in town, kilmainham/rialto to be exact.

And i miss Greystones. Its funny because i lurk on your threads all the time but say nothing. My parents have moved on and just recently sold the family house(due to my fathers full retirement)

So cherish for greystones for what it is. A smart, intellectual town that has tried to manage the residential growth with finesse(bar the harbour). It offers a great lifestyle that alot of people would wish for.

after growing up here i hope that the next generation have as much and experiences as much i had growing up in gstones. From going diving in the "mens" to the harbour walll./ Getting Joes chips and trying to chat up the young ladies. They were great times.

So i bid greystones farewell and i wish that someday that i will settle in a beautiful town like this and raise a family like my parents did.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I completely agree. I saw the late night, early morning side of Greystones. I never had any aggro at all while working. As a Londoner now in Canada, I do miss a truly lovely town full of very nice people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

We moved here early 2012 from a much busier, dirtier town just a few Ks up the road, sure you can guess which.

What a difference!! Most people pick up dog poo, most people say good morning or at least flash a quick smile to us on the way to the station each morning.

The levels of mindless vandalism and graffiti appears to be kept well under control. The small independent shops are great and use I do try and use them when ever.

There are some great friendly places to eat. Wish I'd moved here a year or so earlier and saved myself several days of yelling at yobs to stop kicking their football at my house n car.

I love it.....and am also English (not that it makes any odds to thread!)

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

Been here 7 yrs, difficult to fault the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

However, in many ways it was better before.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ratticus

I moved into La Touche Park about a year and a half ago from the west of Dublin. GS is just the nicest place I have lived in years. Yes, the harbour is a mess and yes, there could be another pub or two but the general quality of life is so high. Apart from anything else there has not been a murder or a dead body found near where I live since we moved in. :-) In my last place there was a murder within 500m of my living room once every two months on avergae during the 3 years i lived there.
    RW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

FirstIn wrote: »

I said i was sorry for leaving, FirstIn :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

FirstIn wrote: »

It's pretty good now and with a bit of effort from dedicated residents we can keep it that way!

Advertisement