Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man turns dead cat into a Helicopter

• 04-06-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2154283/Cats-away-Artist-turns-dead-pet-flying-helicopter-killed-car.html

Cats away! Artist turns his dead pet into flying helicopter after it is killed by a car

Many animal lovers find it hard to part with their pets when they die.

So when cat Orville, named after the famous aviator Orville Wright, was run over by a car, his artist owner decided to turn him into a permanent piece of artwork as the ultimate tribute by transforming him into a flying helicopter.

Dutch artist Bart Jansen first stuffed Orville before teaming up with radio control helicopter flyer Arjen Beltman to build a specially-designed flying mechanism to attach to the cat.
    Scroll down for video

Very strange indeed:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

artists....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

June 4, 2012: Judgement Day.

That's the day the lolcatz became sentient, and took on material form. After that, it was only a matter of time before the human race was all but annihilated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

That's fairly disturbing tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Roflcopter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

One of the more interesting thread titles I've seeen in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

:eek: I really don't know what to say.

What a sick f*ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I feel on line for that cat. Its catastrophic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Brilliant idea. Hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

A great man once said, "Shut up and take my money!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Lol at the comments on the DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Dudess wrote: »
    Lol at the comments on the DM.
    This is horrific - he should be charged with something - Sarah Sutherland, West Midlands, UK, 4/6/2012 8:44

Idiots... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

DM comment;

"This is just so wrong. I've been lucky enough to have looked after two cats, whom I loved dearly. I miss them very much & still have the ashes of my last tabby cat Treacle, because I couldn't bear to bury her & then leave her in the garden. When we moved house 'she' came with us. I would never have used their bodies like this, it is awful. This is not art, it's sick."

She dug up the body of her dead cat when she moved house and shes calling him sick.. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Pussy flying all around the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

msg11 wrote: »
    DM comment;

"This is just so wrong. I've been lucky enough to have looked after two cats, whom I loved dearly. I miss them very much & still have the ashes of my last tabby cat Treacle, because I couldn't bear to bury her & then leave her in the garden. When we moved house 'she' came with us. I would never have used their bodies like this, it is awful. This is not art, it's sick."

She dug up the body of her dead cat when she moved house and shes calling him sick.. :confused:

nope, she brought the ashes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I would avoid that person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I bet Ted Bundy is raging he never thought of this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Awh man... thats funny..sick and funny.

Heli-smelly cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

He's basically made a mummy of his cat that flies.

Awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

i don't know if its ****ed up or awesome...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

The look on the poor cats face is hilarious, that is some seriously funny ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

This is some form of recycling anyway!:eek:

DM comment;

no, she cremated the cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Artists are so up their own hole. Anyone else does something like that they are an idiot to most people. Artist does it and its profound and meaningful.

Next he'll he smearing his shít on the wall and calling it an exposition of the preconception of the identity of the human psyche. When really they just think everything they do is amazing even smearing shít on a wall.

Fcukin artists.

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Artists are so up their own hole. Anyone else does something like that they are an idiot to most people. Artist does it and its profound and meaningful.

Next he'll he smearing his shít on the wall and calling it an exposition of the preconception of the identity of the human psyche. When really they just think everything they do is amazing even smearing shít on a wall.

Fcukin artists.

Artists know what they're doing and want to try and push the limits and create different things.
    Clearly you're not a very creative person if you speak so negatively about them.
    Tell me this, could you have thought of making something like this or do you totally lack the imagination to do so?
    I think it's a strange thing to do but it looks really cool.
    I'd argue that it's better then stuffing the cat and having it sit there all boring and actually do something interesting with him.

Fcukin unimaginative people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Cathay Airlines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

DM comment;

It clearly says she had her cat cremated. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

HR Giger made a coffee table out of his dead wifes bones.

artists, gotta love em.

• Advertisement

1ZRed wrote: »
    Artists know what they're doing and want to try and push the limits and create different things.

Artists are unproductively imaginative. An engineer or chemist imagines and creates something useful. An artist shits on a tray and calls it 'imaginative' and 'pushing the limits'.

Pushing the limits? Yeah. Of your rectum.

Clearly you're not a very creative person if you speak so negatively about them.
    Tell me this, could you have thought of making something like this or do you totally lack the imagination to do so?
    I think it's a strange thing to do but it looks really cool.
    I'd argue that it's better then stuffing the cat and having it sit there all boring and actually do something interesting with him.

I'm not a very creative person if I speak negatively about artists ? Less imagination and more logic might be more helpful there.

Could I have thought of it ? Yes, anyone could have but most people wont do it because its nothing other than what it is. Turning a dead cat into a helicopter for a bit of a laugh. Certain people though convinced of their own genius do these things and then assign it some kind of importance or meaning.

Let me be an artist for a second. I'm going to cremate a dead crow and throw the ashes into a glass of water, add a straw and umbrella. I'll call it life and death and the effect of materialism on nature. If I was further up my own hole I'd be able to convince myself this was something other than burning a dead bird and throwing it in water. But it would be me thinking I am fantastic for having thought of it.

If he wanst to motorise his cat then thats his business, but once its called art and stuck on display it really shows the artist for what they are. Someone with too much time on their hands and an oversized ego.

Confab wrote: »
    Artists are unproductively imaginative. An engineer or chemist imagines and creates something useful. An artist shits on a tray and calls it 'imaginative' and 'pushing the limits'.

Pushing the limits? Yeah. Of your rectum.

Who do you think pushes fashions and movements but artists? They are allowed to go crazy and do what they like and then once they have their ideas out there, they scale it back to something more reasonable. That's just talking about product design though.

If anything that's the way they're expressing themselves, you don't have to like it or even pay attention to it but for those that do, they like it.

I've studied art and we had to acknowledge that the people who don't get art or even see the point of it are the first to condemn it. Even if they're not capable of creating something of their own.

Everyone has different tastes but as long as it means something to the artist, that's ALL that matters.

And where are you getting the sh1t thing from anyway? That's such a desperate way to validate your argument.

Go on see how dull a world without artists would be; boring buildings,artwork,clothes,furniture etc.

The world needs creative people, even if it's to take the edge off things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

High kitty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I have tears of laughter from reading that. Absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I imagine that birds would be sh*tting themselves since it would appear that cats have finally learned to fly.

• Advertisement

I'm not a very creative person if I speak negatively about artists ? Less imagination and more logic might be more helpful there.

Could I have thought of it ? Yes, anyone could have but most people wont do it because its nothing other than what it is. Turning a dead cat into a helicopter for a bit of a laugh. Certain people though convinced of their own genius do these things and then assign it some kind of importance or meaning.

Let me be an artist for a second. I'm going to cremate a dead crow and throw the ashes into a glass of water, add a straw and umbrella. I'll call it life and death and the effect of materialism on nature. If I was further up my own hole I'd be able to convince myself this was something other than burning a dead bird and throwing it in water. But it would be me thinking I am fantastic for having thought of it.

If he wanst to motorise his cat then thats his business, but once its called art and stuck on display it really shows the artist for what they are. Someone with too much time on their hands and an oversized ego.

what makes you think that? You're great for the assumptions alright.
    They're doing what they like, this is creative as apposed to just mounting the cat on the wall and watching it.

And you would never succeed in being an artist if you thought you'd have to have a massive ego to create artwork.
    Not all artists follow this movement and draw, paint and sculpt amazing things in the "conventional way".
    The only reason why these people are branching out is because that form of art has been done to death so they want change and something different.

If you think it's so easy to succeed in art then by all means go ahead. You wouldn't be the first fool to think that and fail. If you don't have vision and talent, you won't get anywhere quickly buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

There's a bit of Ed Gein about that one

But seriously this is hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Is it wrong that I burst out laughing at that? :D

They're doing what they like, this is creative as apposed to just mounting the cat on the wall and watching it.

The only reason why these people are branching out is because that form of art has been done to death so they want change and something different.

Anything and everything can be interpreted as art. But art in itself is commercial. So artists try to shock the public's jaded palate. 'Pushing the limits' is another way of saying for 'pull in the punter'. Let's face it, artists are no different to a retail establishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The cock came before the pussy.....

Proper order too.

• Advertisement

Because its not just someone doing what they like. Its someone doing something to show other people what they have done and create a brand for themselves. The fact he put that on display shows the act of creating it wasnt enough. Thats where the ego comes in, most people create and do stuff every day of the week thinking nothing of it. But then there are those with ego's who assign great importance to this stuff and set out looking for recognition.
    And you would never succeed in being an artist if you thought you'd have to have a massive ego to create artwork.
    Not all artists follow this movement and draw, paint and sculpt amazing things in the "conventional way".

I dont think you need a massive ego to create a piece of art. I'm talking about this kind of artist who does something unconventional because its unconventional. The branching out makes my point, they think they are creative, set out to create something and then no matter what it is they will assign importance to it. If your sitting there thinking "I need a new direction, I need to break the mould. I know I'll motorise a cat" then straight away your creating for the sake of recognition. Not creating something of meaning for yourself which is what you defined art by in your earlier post. The only meaning to the artist is that it will have an impact as a piece of art. Which feeds their ego more than their need or want to create something.

If you think it's so easy to succeed in art then by all means go ahead. You wouldn't be the first fool to think that and fail. If you don't have vision and talent, you won't get anywhere quickly buddy.

Plenty of people have vision and talent and never get anywhere. Because you dont have to be talented to be an artist. I'm sure I might suceed if I was deluded enough to think everything I did was amazing. Eventually someone somewhere would buy it for a stupid price because of the "meaning" and I'd be on the pigs back able to throw out any old garbage, call it anything and have people lap it up.

But hey, I'm a fool right. Unlike this genius visionary talented man who stuffed a cat and glued it to a remote control helicopter.

Confab wrote: »
    Anything and everything can be interpreted as art. But art in itself is commercial. So artists try to shock the public's jaded palate. 'Pushing the limits' is another way of saying for 'pull in the punter'. Let's face it, artists are no different to a retail establishment.

that's exactly why they want to push the limits. Once people get used to a particular style it becomes boring! Artists are not boring people, they just want to try different things and experiment with an infinite varity of stuff because the can. You'll never see things go stagnant because creative people can't be subdued, it's just not in their nature and they won't allow it.

Artists are no different to a retail establishment? The amount of artists that work just for themselves outnumbers any professional artists hugely.
    You're not creative, it's just hard for someone like you to understand the mindset of someone who is.
    What you're saying is that you want artists to be 'normal' but then everything becomes the same and boring with no individuality. It's like if the world said "ok, no more new clothes designs EVER!" would you be ok with that?

I'm a creative guy and I have the talent to sell my art but that doesn't mean I do. I draw,paint,sculpt for me only.
    Does that mean I'm more subdued than these artists? No , I myself try to push the limits and express my ideas in artwork even if it is controversial.

Artistic moments are no different than cultural or social ones. They need visionaries to lead them.

Because its not just someone doing what they like. Its someone doing something to show other people what they have done and create a brand for themselves. The fact he put that on display shows the act of creating it wasnt enough. Thats where the ego comes in, most people create and do stuff every day of the week thinking nothing of it. But then there are those with ego's who assign great importance to this stuff and set out looking for recognition.

I dont think you need a massive ego to create a piece of art. I'm talking about this kind of artist who does something unconventional because its unconventional. The branching out makes my point, they think they are creative, set out to create something and then no matter what it is they will assign importance to it. If your sitting there thinking "I need a new direction, I need to break the mould. I know I'll motorise a cat" then straight away your creating for the sake of recognition. Not creating something of meaning for yourself which is what you defined art by in your earlier post. The only meaning to the artist is that it will have an impact as a piece of art. Which feeds their ego more than their need or want to create something.

Plenty of people have vision and talent and never get anywhere. Because you dont have to be talented to be an artist. I'm sure I might suceed if I was deluded enough to think everything I did was amazing. Eventually someone somewhere would buy it for a stupid price because of the "meaning" and I'd be on the pigs back able to throw out any old garbage, call it anything and have people lap it up.

But hey, I'm a fool right. Unlike this genius visionary talented man who stuffed a cat and glued it to a remote control helicopter.

I'm going to stop you right here. You don't create for others, you try to express your ideas, thoughts and feelings in a physical form for YOUR own benefit.
    Do you think poets write to be famous or do they just want to capture their feelings and express them?

You don't understand. Then stop trying to damage something you know nothing about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Who knew that the coalescence of two useless things could create something so awesome.
    artist + dead cat = catcopter.

mad.

I'm going to stop you right here. You don't create for others, you try to express your ideas, thoughts and feelings in a physical form for YOUR own benefit.
    Do you think poets write to be famous or do they just want to capture their feelings and express them?

You don't understand. Then stop trying to damage something you know nothing about.

Then why do we have exhibits ? Why do people put things on display ?

Poets ? Plenty of them do, do you read much modern poetry ? Most poets both want to capture something and then show everyone else what they have done. But there is such a hugely staggering difference between a good writer and what they create and this guy sticking a cat to a helicopter. Same as the gap between a talented painter and what they create and someone throwing paint at the canvas.

Your last bit sums up art to be honest. If someone doesnt like it they dont understand it. Cat nailed to a tree ? You dont understand what its like to be creative. Shít smeared on the wall ? You dont understand the meaning behind it. Reminds me of religion, no matter what you say about it those too blind to see it for what it is will never listen.

I have no idea why, but I found the pictures absolutely hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Me too but the video is even better.

I can't stop laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I want a bear car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Suas11 wrote: »
    I imagine that birds would be sh*tting themselves since it would appear that cats have finally learned to fly.
    have to admit,the thought of a mass [bird] **** storm due to orville taking flight is hilarious but am really disgusted at a so called cat lover disrespecting their cats body in this way.
    -cats in all their being shoud be sacred to cat lovers,not turned into freak shows,being bashed about when the copter falls-where is the respect to their beloved kitty pal?

the plank shoud go and get himself a RC nitro driven helicopter and play with that instead but of course that wont get him attention in the rancid bowel matter creatively challenged world known as conceptual art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Whats wrong with a helicopter that will always land on it's feet?

• Advertisement
Advertisement