Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo living

Options
  • 04-06-2012 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hello,

I'm looking for a few ideas regarding share accomodation locations. Looking to move to (West) Mayo for a few months. I'm not fishing for secret spots. I would like to be close to a nice town and I have no car, so would be getting the bus/walking to surf spots. I can't afford holiday homes.
    Anyone know of such a town that might be a good hub for a few months?

Suggestions appreciated,
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Living in Achill close to Keel is a possibility but your a good 1hr/1hr+ away from Castlebar or Westport. On Achill you have breaks to choose from but apart from Keel and Dooagh, you need a car. Mickeroo on here will give you advice I'm sure on Achill.

Carrowniskey (Louisburgh)
    It's about 5 miles from Louisburgh with some houses to rent close to the beach but nearest shop etc is Louisburgh. You are more or less walking distance to Carrowmore but it needs a big swell and not a consistent beach especially in summer. Westport is a good 25/30 minutes from Louisburgh but a really nice town.

North Mayo, don't want to mention any breaks on here but Ballina is probably closer to Enniscrone than beaches dotted across North Mayo so Enniscrone is your best bet. In north Mayo, I suppose Killala is a nice town, lot of history but again not that easy to get to local breaks.

Belmullet, maybe someone else on the board can help you out on that.

Hope that helps, generally I think a car is essential but if needs must...
    In many ways, seaside towns benefit those that don't have cars but a trek to a beach can sometimes have it's advantages crowd wise.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you want to live in a town thats walking distance to beach then I think Enniscrone in co. sligo is probably the closest one to mayo. If you're happy living somewhere less built up then I would go for Keel on Achill Island. There's a shop or two, some restaraunts, plenty of pubs all within walking distance and the beach too of course.

I'm not that familiar with the belmullet/north mayo area but as far as I know there aren't any breaks within walking distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Why does it have to be west Mayo, look at Strandhill or Lahinch also. You will need a few shops and what not around you.

Personally without a car or van back there I would die of boredom plus you will want to move to different breaks depending on conditions.

Alternatively you could also get accomodation with other surfers who might have transport. Best chance might be Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 agreenyblue

Just back from an exploratory trip. I'm seeing the car problem. Achill is gorgeous but a fierce stint. I was hoping for more options to the west, I'd need years of surfing logs to work out the whens and wheres. I think Ballina and Enniscrone are not for me. I'd love to live on Achill but I coudn't manage it at the moment. A car is a last resort if I can't find somewhere that works for me.

I could have spent many trips trying to figure out the geography and still would have been second guessing myself, cheers folks.

Advertisement