Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English- Paper 1- Article

• 04-06-2012 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Is there any set structure for the article or is it just basically like an essay. I did one for Xmas and mock and got 85/100 in each and was wondering if I lost marks because it wasn't enough like an actual article? I basically wrote an essay but made occasional references to the reader e.g. You should do this or we can do this.
    Also is it just me or does anyone find themselves just writing about what they learned in other subjects in the article e.g. In my mock the article was on "issues of excess and waste of money in society" and I just basically wrote loads about business/ the economy and what I had learned in geography etc.
    It seems to be more of a test of your knowledge of other subjects/ general knowledge than anything else.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I hope they ask a light hearted article, I find them really easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Geo10 wrote: »
    Also is it just me or does anyone find themselves just writing about what they learned in other subjects in the article e.g. In my mock the article was on "issues of excess and waste of money in society" and I just basically wrote loads about business/ the economy and what I had learned in geography etc.
    It seems to be more of a test of your knowledge of other subjects/ general knowledge than anything else.

Yeah I definitely noticed that! I did a radio talk there on an interesting adventure I had, and I said to the Taj Mahal at Agra in India! I could desrcibe it so well with my geography knowledge :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Wesc. wrote: »
    Yeah I definitely noticed that! I did a radio talk there on an interesting adventure I had, and I said to the Taj Mahal at Agra in India! I could desrcibe it so well with my geography knowledge :P

That would be a nightmare question for me. :P

I wouldn't say it's a test of general knowledge though, you don't get the marks for what you write really, it's more about how you write it. For example if you're an expert on the economy but just throw down points at random, you're going to lose a ton of marks.

That said being informed and having genuine opinions on lots of matters goes a long way... I don't care enough about a lot of things to really be convincing, so I go for short story. :L

Advertisement