Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wetsuit fit

• 04-06-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

Picked up my orca suit on Thursday having tried in on in shop. Felt snug but no trouble breathing. When I bent over it felt a bit of a pull but fine with back straight and arms up.

First tri was the sprint on Sun in Athy. Warmed up fine and got into water. Felt the odd bit of water coming down the back but when I approached the buoy at 250 I started to get dizzy. Had to breast stroke for the next 3-400m. Totally ruined my swim and I was wasted when I got out.

Basically I wondering if this is just something I have to get used to or is the fit wrong?
    Anything I can do to loosen it up or should I be looking for a swap for a size 9?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Did it feel tight around the chest after you picked up the pace in the water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Not particularly, but first tri start and in open water so I didn't really notice.
    When I did slow at the turn I didn't notice difficulty breathing but I felt pretty bad as though I was going to pass out.
    Not sure if it was lack of O2 or body being compressed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

While we've a thread on it. No issues for me with wetsuit yesterday but was chaffing around the neck tonight. A case of just not putting it on properly today since it was fine yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

While we've a thread on it. No issues for me with wetsuit yesterday but was chaffing around the neck tonight. A case of just not putting it on properly today since it was fine yesterday?

Could be that your neck was just sore / chaffed after yesterday's swim and you were feeling it today. I always rub ky jelly around the neck seal of my wetsuit even for short races to help prevent friction burns on the neck. The fact I always breath to one side can make friction burns a problem for me. Wait until you get an ironman distance swim burn from your wetsuit.

On the OP's question if you can get the suit on and closed then it's not too small :) my current suit is at least a size too small for me but it was a good deal and I couldn't say no, hence getting into it is a struggle (the seams are starting to give after a few wears) but I've still done an IM in it no problems.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I'd say the dizziness was more to do with the cold. I got that on my first ow event. Earplugs help me, something to do with cold water on the eardrum, I dunno. But the best cure is simply more ow swims to acclimatise.

Body glide on your neck, wrists and ankles stops chafing and helps get the suit off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

re: fit
    as above, if you can get it on and it zips alright, then the fit is fine. It may be just a case of trying it out in OW before a race so that its less manic.

re: diziness
    less likely to do with your suit and more likely to do with the circumstances and surroundings at the start of a sprint tri. Alot of white water, alot of looking about etc etc

Im fairly prone to sea sickness from time to time and even when there's little or no chop I somethings get out feeling dizzy, sick. Rarely has happened in races thankfully. Id have a bit of experience with ow swimming and wetsuits. Persist with it, go for a few swims in ow with the suit between now and your next tri. Hope it didnt put you off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Just make sure the wetsuit is up high enough on your legs. A lot of people dont bring the suit right up the legs and end up stretching from the bum up which can pull down on the shoulders because there is no flex in the zip, restricting motion through the stroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

I've had this dizzy issue in the past in this race, and it's usually to do with the water temperature, especially if you could feel the water going down your back. A neoprene hat could sort the head out either. I went in about 5 mins before the swim and the suit wetted out and warmed up nicely in time for the swim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Thanks all.

Will do a few more OW swims to see if it improves.

Had the suit right up to the crotch and on land when I lean forward there is a bit of a pull on the shoulders. Might just be a bit short for me.

Have a few weeks to see if it improves.

Advertisement