Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

African Migrants Fire bombed in Israel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Oh for pity's sake what is going on over there. You'd think they'd have learned from their own wandering history. I'll tell you what though they are going to be locking horns with the extremely powerful anti racism groups in the US very shortly, and I wouldn't give much for their odds. This is turning out like apartheid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

IrishAm wrote: »
    Nah. Just a jewish leader of a jewish organisation with one of their main aims - to promote multiculturalism in europe. Which, she states must take place. Europe must become multicultural.

Swedish state funded, of course.

Ja. Theres that 'they' again.....

Care to retract your remarks about Ivana Bacik and Ronit Lentin now? Or do facts not matter when talking about Jews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I'll tell you what though they are going to be locking horns with the extremely powerful anti racism groups in the US very shortly, and I wouldn't give much for their odds. This is turning out like apartheid.

I betcha a crispy hundred euro note they won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's stick to this case in Israel and leave Jews world domination in the conspiracy forum.

Laters, Nodin. Enjoy the bank holiday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

News reports of the situation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh you're just being anti Semitic you nazi!
    Eff off, I'm the resident Nazi.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

IrishAm wrote: »
    Will justice minister Shatter speak out against this?

He is the first to speak out in support of his beloved homeland whenever someone sullies its name.
    So far as I am aware Alan Shatters homeland is called Ireland, dont mistake a persons religon for their nationality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

While these actions are obviously deplorable, they are happening in other countries around the world too. Last month, a Greek political party campaigning with slogans promising to "get rid of the foreign stench" got almost 10% in the polls, and there has been a sharp rise in racist attacks. In France and the UK, immigrants are rounded up and placed in camps, while in Australia they kept their immigrants on an island in the middle of the Indian Ocean. I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of the actions in Israel, but I do find it somewhat curious that Israelis are being castigated en masse for the actions of a tiny minority, and for policies which have long been implemented elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

Minister Alan Shatter recently revealed his worries about cyber bullying and its regressive effects,
    This issue springs from the cancellation of Israeli concerts by Irish musical group Dervish.
    Dervish were invited by a fellow musician who “worked to bridge divides between people through music”according to Minister Shatter. The objective of these concerts was “to promote love between two
    divided communities,” he said.
    (Well he is better off telling this lot>>)www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=7ZHXGW0G7uA

Is this man in the real world???
    Garda killers walk out of open prison's,
    Three elderly pensioners robber and are were tied up and assaulted at their home recovering in hospital.
    And he's worried about a youtube video......

A Minister torn between two States.
    Both of them in a right mess..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Pure racism. The people who were nearly wiped out due to racism 70 years ago are now among the worst racists themselves. The abused turn abusers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

im not suprised with israel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nodin wrote: »

Happens here too as know only too well.

But the ignorant like to jump on anything negative happening in Israel to have a go at Israeli's or Jew's.

I've Israeli Jewish friends who I talk to on facebook, they've all but given up posting anything Israeli or middle east related that might be of interest to me on my wall because of the constant sniping at them by some of my Irish friends.

If people here scratched the surface they'd find its just common racist criminals behind these attacks in Tel Aviv.

And again if people bothered to scratch the surface they'd find that the Israeli state have been over whelmingly positive towards Ethopians & Sudanese (Operation Solomon & Operation Joshua).

As for the camps ~ happens all over the world, and sure don't we keep our own travelling community in camps and discourage them from settling in residental/settled area's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Are the young people changing in that regard or is their time in the army reinforcing the hostility towards non jews ?

I was there for 15 days and from what I saw the young were worst culprits when it came to abusing non Jews.

That was in 2007. I doubt much has changed, but hope it has.

edit: like I say most Jews are nice people like anywhere, but I just get sense that they still feel they are more important then other beliefs and countries.

Still talk to few of them too and some are worried by treatment of immigrants.

• Advertisement

I was there for 15 days and from what I saw the young were worst culprits when it came to abusing non Jews.

That was in 2007. I doubt much has changed, but hope it has.

The young are almost always idiots.. Sure this ol' idiot
    me
    famously sported a swastika tattoo from my teen years!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

me

With regards to religion though (where this all seems to be emanating from) you'd think the younger generation would be moving away from that sort of thing.

Youth in the western world although stupid in certain ways are definitely more tolerable as a whole than those before them I think. Surely Israel would be influenced by western culture to a certain degree and move away from the literal interpretations of religious teachings or whatever and be less inclined to buy into the whole thing.

Then again I did know someone from Israel before and from what I gathered their time in the military breeds a lot of contempt for Palestinians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Happens here too as know only too well.

But the ignorant like to jump on anything negative happening in Israel to have a go at Israeli's or Jew's.

I've Israeli Jewish friends who I talk to on facebook, they've all but given up posting anything Israeli or middle east related that might be of interest to me on my wall because of the constant sniping at them by some of my Irish friends.

If people here scratched the surface they'd find its just common racist criminals behind these attacks in Tel Aviv.

And again if people bothered to scratch the surface they'd find that the Israeli state have been over whelmingly positive towards Ethopians & Sudanese (Operation Solomon & Operation Joshua).

As for the camps ~ happens all over the world, and sure don't we keep our own travelling community in camps and discourage them from settling in residental/settled area's.

It wasn't every German in the thirties either, Natalie Plain Lecturer.

It wasn't every German in the thirties either, Makikomi.

Oh.

me

haha I can tell you some my beliefs were bit far fetched when I was kid too and teenager.(maybe not that bad though)

Its actually a place I wish I had the opportunity of working in for another month or so to get more of grip as to maybe why there is so much hatred there.(from the minority)

Now this is my opinion and for people who live there or have stayed there for longer period might argue with me, but I get sense that they feel they are entitled to maybe walk on somebody else doorstep cause it happened to them from WW2. They feel more entitled to do actions that are unacceptable.

The one thing though I will say is that when we were there we were invited to come along to festival that a family we got to know and were asked if we could come along. It was religious festival, but even though we came as Christians in their eyes once we took part and respected their beliefs they were no more then super in there treatment of us.

• Advertisement

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Then again I did know someone from Israel before and from what I gathered their time in the military breeds a lot of contempt for Palestinians.

From my experience of them I'm not overly fond of Palestinians myself tbh.

Now this is my opinion and for people who live there or have stayed there for longer period might argue with me, but I get sense that they feel they are entitled to maybe walk on somebody else doorstep cause it happened to them from WW2. They feel more entitled to do actions that are unacceptable. .

I found most to be the opposite, and every Israeli I know despair's at their governments continued expansionism into the WB.

Most know that they're under tremendous scrutiny from the worlds media and would rather act accordingly.
    The one thing though I will say is that when we were there we were invited to come along to festival that a family we got to know and were asked if we could come along. It was religious festival, but even though we came as Christians in their eyes once we took part and respected their beliefs they were no more then super in there treatment of us.

Sounds just like any normal decent family/people anywhere in the world.

Ordinary people, the working man or woman on the street doesn't want to be fighting with their neighbours and that includes (in my experience) Israeli's.

I found most to be the opposite, and every Israeli I know despair's at their governments continued expansionism into the WB.

Most know that they're under tremendous scrutiny from the worlds media and would rather act accordingly.

Found that from Jewish people who lived outside of Israel alright, but not inside the country itself.

I suppose it also depends on how close to the divide you get too. We practically lived and worked where they were in view of each other to abuse and insult each other.

I suppose it also depends on how close to the divide you get too. We practically lived and worked where they were in view of each other to abuse and insult each other.

I served on the Israeli/Lebanese border, I know what thats like :p

I served on the Israeli/Lebanese border, I know what thats like :p

I be honest I dont envy you on that. Say you saw quite a bit.

Soldiers not always treated the best over there from what I saw and no matter what you did one side would always feel hard done by.

99% time that was Palestinians

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Invader_Zimmy

Something must have caused this violence, it is a known fact that African migrants often are involved in serious criminal activity. Perhaps this caused the backlash? Please do not accuse me of being a racist, call me a realist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Something must have caused this violence, it is a known fact that African migrants often are involved in serious criminal activity. Perhaps this caused the backlash?

No, its not a known fact. Its what violent racists use to justify there hatred and violence. Its exact same song and dance we have seen from similar racist the world over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Racism is going to raise it's head anywhere in the world where the population isn't homogeneous, add in the clusterfuck that that piece of land is and I think it's obvious there is going to be trouble.
    I think the USA is the only country in the world that can realistically sort out the bigger situation. Until that happens I would almost expect a story like this now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

israel is supposed to be a democracy.....if these people are accused of breaking the law....then the law is there to do it's duty....

raving and ranting, will nevber solve anything......

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

MrMatisse wrote: »

Of all countries you would expect more from Israel. A very very sad state of affairs.

Perhaps, if you've been living under a rock for several years. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

From my experience of them I'm not overly fond of Palestinians myself tbh.

I'd say its not easy to be impartial to a group of people when you spend a lot of time dealing with some of the more aggressive of them. Doesnt help the situation that young Israeli's have to endure that for a certain time I dont think. It doesnt leave much room for sympathising with either side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Racists can be found everywhere, even here in Ireland, but it does appear that some people will always want to use anything thing they can to attack Israel, particularly over it's policy in the West Bank,Gaza, and East Jeruselem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Something must have caused this violence, it is a known fact that African migrants often are involved in serious criminal activity. Perhaps this caused the backlash? Please do not accuse me of being a racist, call me a realist.
    Eh, that sounds pretty racist to me.
    Can you provide sources for Africans being involved in serious crime in Israel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

I just watched an hour-long documentary on the racism and politically fueled discrimination against African migrants in South Tel Aviv-I feel shaken by the amount of hate displayed by the anti-migrant protestors.

I am very much against the Israeli treatment of Palestinians, so this particular addition to the Israeli story does not in any way endear me to the State of Israel. But. Neither does it justify the classification of every single Israeli under the racist umbrella.

I used to work with an Israeli organisation and my Israeli colleagues were among most tolerant people I have met. They also didn't agree with Israel's occupation of Palestine and I am sure they are not the only Israelis who feel this way. I doubt they would be in support of these race riots just as I doubt they are the only ones against it.

I certinaly would not like to be a black african/ethiopian Jew living in Israel,
    As for "racist criminals behind these attacks" It's rabbi's who have started this -..
    The Israel Law had been broken by the by rabbi's.
    The Goverment do nothing...so it's condoned.

The rabbi's have told the people.. "Don't rent homes to them, now they are on the street's. Don't give them job's.. So now they beg in the street..
    What next Don't give them food..so they starve.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=cUivyO5T_34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Are all the immigrants muslims? I don't think it's been mentioned. It might not be just because they are black, but a religious thing. Honest question.

Are all the immigrants muslims? I don't think it's been mentioned. It might not be just because they are black, but a religious thing. Honest question.

No some are black african and ethiopian Jew's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's amazing how many people say things like 'every Israeli I've met doesn't support the actions of the government". Something has got to be up with that. The majority of Israelis have continuously elected governments which carry out the things which are then so regularly condemned.

The Israeli government love to bang on about how they have the only democracy in the region. If it's a case that in fact they have been going against the wishes of its people for so long, then those claims of democracy are voided. But realistically that isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

was'nt so long ago 14 of our own citizens were kidnapped in international waters and detained against there will in israel.there governments attitude is very much "us against the world" which in turn trickles down through the whole of society there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Politicians, including the prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, and the interior minister, Eli Yishai, have inflamed the volatile mood by suggesting Israel is being flooded with 'illegal infiltrators', that migrants are responsible for a crime wave and calling for all migrants to be locked up or deported.

Id like to see another democracy where the Prime Minister says the above.

I certinaly would not like to be a black african/ethiopian Jew living in Israel,
    As for "racist criminals behind these attacks" It's rabbi's who have started this -..
    The Israel Law had been broken by the by rabbi's.
    The Goverment do nothing...so it's condoned.

The rabbi's have told the people.. "Don't rent homes to them, now they are on the street's. Don't give them job's.. So now they beg in the street..
    What next Don't give them food..so they starve.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=cUivyO5T_34
    Illegal Infiltrators?
    Israel as usual acts in defiance of all law and standards of decency.
    Who Says the Jews Never Gave Us Anything?
    I still have that picture in my head of 11-year-old Ahmad Mousa who was unarmed and was shot in the head as he sat with friends.
    Aid workers shot dead,Irish peace keepers bombed,
    School's bombed,Hospital's bombed,
    And as usual the international community does nothing.
    Expel All the Illegal Infiltrators! They can start with themselves.
    The world stood up to Apartheid in South Africa.
    Now it's time for people power, Don't buy good's from Israel.
    Boycott all goods from 'illegal' settlements
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/letters/2012/0604/1224317205334.html
    Dudess wrote: »
    What will boycotting achieve?

I would personally like to boycott goods and services from Israel. I figured it wouldn't be the easiest thing but I didn't know just how difficult. Difficult doesn't even begin to cover it!

fran17 wrote: »
    was'nt so long ago 14 of our own citizens were kidnapped in international waters and detained against there will in israel.there governments attitude is very much "us against the world" which in turn trickles down through the whole of society there

One of my classmates was among those kidnapped and he says he was treated abominably by the Israelis.

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    One of my classmates was among those kidnapped and he says he was treated abominably by the Israelis.

Be thankful it wasn't the Palestinian's who took your foolish friend, you may never have got him back.

Missed class to board the flotilla, did he?

No doubt he was out protesting the fees, too.

Be thankful it wasn't the Palestinian's who took your foolish friend, you may never have got him back.
    seen as he was part of a multi national effort to deliver much needed humanitarian aid to the people of palestine i'd imagine he would be treated very well no?

• Advertisement

Why is he foolish? Because he took a stance against what he believed to be injustice? The course of action may not have been the smartest but I don't think he or the people who stood with him are foolish.

fran17 wrote: »
    seen as he was part of a multi national effort to deliver much needed humanitarian aid to the people of palestine i'd imagine he would be treated very well no?

Like erm, rugby balls?... And yes you'd imagine someone doing bringing aid to the Palestinians would be well treated would you, but that hasn't always been the case has it?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭brimal

I would personally like to boycott goods and services from Israel. I figured it wouldn't be the easiest thing but I didn't know just how difficult. Difficult doesn't even begin to cover it!

The boycott of Israel is dying a death.

It's support is waning and has been receiving tonnes of bad press in the national newspapers of late.

Ireland imports more goods and technologies from Israel than ever before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Here we go......
    brimal wrote: »
    The boycott of Israel is dying a death.

It's support is waning and has been receiving tonnes of bad press in the national newspapers of late.

Ireland imports more goods and technologies from Israel than ever before.

Keep saying that - maybe it'll make it true.

Like erm, rugby balls?... And yes you'd imagine someone doing bringing aid to the Palestinians would be well treated would you, but that hasn't always been the case has it?.
    no actually it was confirmed by many independant observers the aid consisted of food,clothing and medical supplies mainly.but just as well our citizens did'nt put up any resistance or they too would have been murdered like nine other "fools" involved in the flotilla were right?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement