Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to pass Biology HL

• 04-06-2012 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭

Hi to all. Gonna cut to the chase straight away. I got a D3 in Biology in the mocks and have not really improved on it since and now I am afraid I will fail it. I need to do higher level to get the points for my course so OL isn't an option. I have difficulty learning the material and I am not too familiar with the Biology exam patterns from previous years.

My question is this. Are there any questions that come up every single year on the exam that I should focus on and, considering I only need to pass, what would be the best areas of the course to really try and learn before the exam in order to secure a pass?

Thanks in advance for any help. :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Ecology is usually always a question 1 on the long questions, likewise food is always question 1 for the short. Photosynthsis/Respiration usually a long question aswell. There is a pattern if you look through past papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

^ And human reproduction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Learn the experiments too, the questions on them are usually really easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

So food, ecology, photosynthesis/respiration and human reproduction. Seems to be a lot of experiments though and they don't look that easy? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Experiments will take you at most two hours. Very easy to memorise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Genetic Crosses come up a lot as well, basically units 1 & 2 are 60% of the exam so focus on them. The experiments are fine because you don't need specific measurements so just focus on apparatus, chemicals and results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

And do yous just look at the experiments straight out of the book? we didn't do most of them at all and I missed a few that we did do.. Cheers to all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

And do yous just look at the experiments straight out of the book? we didn't do most of them at all and I missed a few that we did do.. Cheers to all!

For learning the experiments, use a revision book along with the text book. In some text books they'll leave out the results/conclusions for you to figure out yourself in class, but they should be in the revision book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

Hi to all. Gonna cut to the chase straight away. I got a D3 in Biology in the mocks and have not really improved on it since and now I am afraid I will fail it. I need to do higher level to get the points for my course so OL isn't an option. I have difficulty learning the material and I am not too familiar with the Biology exam patterns from previous years.

My question is this. Are there any questions that come up every single year on the exam that I should focus on and, considering I only need to pass, what would be the best areas of the course to really try and learn before the exam in order to secure a pass?

Thanks in advance for any help. :o

I got a D3 too, and need HC3 for my course .. so afraid I'm gong to fail, I haven't even started studying yet, but then again I did no study for the mocks for anything and got 320 ... only need 100 more!

Advertisement