Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is society...

• 04-06-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

...in recent years absolutely obsessed with stupid, untalented and one dimensional people?
    The entire cast of Big Brother but specifically Jade Goody, Jedward, Frankie Cocozza, Justin Bieber perhaps (in fairness though people like him being marketed to teenage girls is nothing new, so he might fit into another category) and so on.
    There are some amazing talents out there that people just don't seem interested in, in comparison to these.
    Are people now not sick to death of it all.
    Is it all just one big joke? It seems to be.
    But it's boring now, can we get back to watching good entertainment.
    Even the dominance of shows like Xfactor is astounding. It's like watching paint dry.
    So much crap out there!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

People in general have terrible taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Because money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Didn't you hear? Being stupid and easily amused is all the rage now. But seriously, how sad must your life be if you worship somebody like Katie Price. You're basically saying, 'this person's life is more important than mine even though she has never achieved anything ever'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

People are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

This isnt something new. Before celebrities it was royalty. Maybe its an escape for some from their mundane lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Mrs Brown's Boys won a BAFTA. Stupidity sells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

...in recent years absolutely obsessed with stupid, untalented and one dimensional people?
    The entire cast of Big Brother but specifically Jade Goody, Jedward, Frankie Cocozza, Justin Bieber perhaps (in fairness though people like him being marketed to teenage girls is nothing new, so he might fit into another category) and so on.
    There are some amazing talents out there that people just don't seem interested in, in comparison to these.
    Even the dominance of shows like Xfactor is astounding. It's like watching paint dry.
    So much crap out there!

Simon Cowell tells this brain dead generation what they like, how else can you explain some piss poor karaoke singer murdering someone elses song and gettin to Christmas number 1 every year? The likes of Justin Bieber, Jedward, one direction etc are children's music that for some horrible reason have leaked in to modern radio playlists. In an ideal world, these ***** wouldnt have left their fathers ballsacks let alone being allowed to release "music".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Shallow consumerism, instant gratification, brain washing television, all that jazz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Because some people like it and others like having someone/something to call stupid.

You have to admit there is just as big a culture growing of hating so called mainstream stuff as there is of liking dumbed down crap spoon fed to the masses.

I remember a line in the Savage Eye "Irish people define themselves by the fact that they are not English". Kinda applies to this too. People define themselves by the fact they are not xfactor watchers or Sun readers.

People will always seek an escape, whether through books, music, theatre or now TV and movies. So whatever most people like lots of others will automatically hate it because they think it makes them more of an individual. When it really doesnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Blame Louis Walsh and co.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

I'm gonna quote an old George Carlin here "just think about how stupid the average person is. And then realize half of them are even stupider".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”
    ― George Carlin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

So much crap out there!

Ah jayzus, it wasn't like that back in my day.

Another nostalgia thread. Just what I needed to anger up the blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Television: The opium of the people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It's because most people are nothing special. The cant act, sing or have any talent of any kind. So when they see these people who are famous for nothing really it gives them hope that they can be famous ,despite a lack of any real talent ,someday too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The breakdown of tight-knit communities means that you don't know the intricate details of your neighbours' lives anymore, and there's nothing to gossip about.

Cue 'celebrity' culture where people are more than happy to provide the manufactured drama of their lives as fodder to the public in order to fill that void.

Simple sociology.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dechecho

DarkJager wrote: »
    Simon Cowell tells this brain dead generation what they like, how else can you explain some piss poor karaoke singer murdering someone elses song and gettin to Christmas number 1 every year? The likes of Justin Bieber, Jedward, one direction etc are children's music that for some horrible reason have leaked in to modern radio playlists. In an ideal world, these ***** wouldnt have left their fathers ballsacks let alone being allowed to release "music".

Simon Cowell never supported Jedward. Their success is despite him, not because of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Rhyme wrote: »
    Because money.

Money is only made out of it because there are people stupid enough to watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Sure let them off. The winner of XFactor getting the Xmas number one nearly by default each year doesn't affect my life in the slightest. I still like the bands I enjoy and get on with it. Why does it bother you?

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I really don't know. Take Jedward for example, Lucan boys, I know Lucan, it's a great area, neither posh nor rough. NO ONE in Lucan talks like them. This wannabe American crap irks me. Those boys will end up depressed in years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Gobsh!tes, the lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

screw diversity and culture we should all like the same thing, what I deem to be good.

*Voted Best Dictator by 100% of surviving voters.*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

The breakdown of tight-knit communities means that you don't know the intricate details of your neighbours' lives anymore, and there's nothing to gossip about.

Cue 'celebrity' culture where people are more than happy to provide the manufactured drama of their lives as fodder to the public in order to fill that void.

Simple sociology.

That sums it up for me.Cant agree more thats the problem right there,there is no community anymore,any conversations people have i note tend to centre around characters in eastenders,and coronation street,its disgusting,they talk about them as if they were real people,and tend to be as dramatic as the soaps!
    god help them!

I cannot stand mediocrity because thats all it is talentless actors in soaps playing themselves thats all,or big brother idiots,we are worse to be watching them in fairness,if we all stopped and thought for a moment a) im not watching that show and b) im not going to buy the products or perfumes they endorse or have their mediocre name stuck to we would be better off with more change in our pocket and probably live better more meaningful lives..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

because shows like that are cheap to make. It also helps that the average person just likes looking at how other people live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

The rise of feminism!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

LordSmeg wrote: »
    You have to admit there is just as big a culture growing of hating so called mainstream stuff as there is of liking dumbed down crap spoon fed to the masses.

I remember a line in the Savage Eye "Irish people define themselves by the fact that they are not English". Kinda applies to this too. People define themselves by the fact they are not xfactor watchers or Sun readers.

People will always seek an escape, whether through books, music, theatre or now TV and movies. So whatever most people like lots of others will automatically hate it because they think it makes them more of an individual. When it really doesnt.
    I don't know that there is a growing culture of the above, I think it's simply a case of people not liking this shyte and saying it, that's all.
    If anything I've noticed a trend in reverse music snobbery - from people wanting to let it be known how "unpretentious" they are, claiming they like JLS or One Direction or whatever sh1t.

As for the OP, there's nothing new about this. Despite my hatred of the reverse music snobbery thing though, I find the full-on looking down on fans of The X Factor etc (and all the "The average person is stupid" stuff) a bit smug. Are there really all that many stupid people?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭libnation

So much crap out there!

Why can't society stop churning out generic opinions like the one above which I've heard a million times.

Unless people's taste in things is harmful to their health, why should we care what other people like. It's their life.

I really don't know. Take Jedward for example, Lucan boys, I know Lucan, it's a great area, neither posh nor rough. NO ONE in Lucan talks like them. This wannabe American crap irks me. Those boys will end up depressed in years to come.

I had a friend over from the States recently, she saw them on the news and was surprised at that accent. "No way they're Irish" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Eathrin wrote: »
    People are stupid.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    If anything I've noticed a trend in reverse music snobbery - from people wanting to let it be known how "unpretentious" they are, claiming they like JLS or One Direction or whatever sh1t.

Ehh maybe they do like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

"Society" doesn't support them: people support them, for various fatuous reasons. There is no such thing as "society". ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

It's bread and circuses don't ya know?

I don't know that there is a growing culture of the above, I think it's simply a case of people not liking this shyte and saying it, that's all.

As for the OP, there's nothing new about this. Despite my hatred of the reverse music snobbery thing though, I find the full-on looking down on fans of The X Factor etc (and all the "The average person is stupid" stuff) a bit smug. Are there really all that many stupid people?

People dont like a lot of stuff though but there seems to be a really need for people to distance themselves from and attack those who do like certain things. Snobbery seems to go both ways but I only ever seen actual contempt on one side of it. Its not just not liking something and saying it.

Such as the popular hatred of The Jonas Brothers and Justin Bieber and what have ya. The argument always seems to be raging on youtube videos but not really between two different sets of fans. Its always put forward as if Bieber fans or whatever hate or look down on other fans. But I never see it, its 99.9% of the time some weird complex that people have where they feel the need to constantly be on the attack to defend their chosen music against non-existent abuse.

Seems to be the same in relation to xfactor and the like. There's some accepted view that fans of those hate those who arent. But I never see it, I only see people looking down on those people calling them stupid sheep who cant think for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

They're not all stupid. I know Phds who watch American Idol. I know artists who watch Maury. I also know really intelligent people who hate this stuff and I'd consider myself in that category (well, not so much 'really intelligent' but definitely a bargain basement, popular culture hater.)

I relate to where the OP is coming from and my recommendation is to turn the idiot lantern off and do something else. I don't mean that in a nasty way, or a condescending way. I mean that in life, there are so many other things you can do rather than watching TV. It's actually a huge waste of time and not just because it's mostly drivel. Watch your sports team, catch the news - that should be about it really. I've said it before that turning the TV off is one of the single best ways you can improve your quality of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Came across a show on some strange Sky channel recently in which Parkinson did a retrospective on people he interviewed over the years. When you look at the caliber of guest he had on, it really shows up the modern day "celebrity" scene for the terrible pile of shíte it is. Back then it was people with a genuine skill or talent that got on tv. Now every tool is on it. Could you see an act like Jedward on Parkinson back in the 70's, not a hope.

Its also very much linked into this social media fever which all broadcasters and sectors of media HAVE to be up to speed on. Every show is asking for viewers emails, tweets, texts etc etc. Theres whole sections for reading them out. Its fúcking imperative that Theresa in Tubbercurry has a voice at all times. Drives me up the wall. I suppose its a nice idea to bring the famous and the great unwashed onto a level playing field and actually interact with each other, but if the offshoot of that is having to put up with these unwashed getting up on stage and commiting crimes against music, I'd rather go back to the old days, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Agricola wrote: »
    Its fúcking imperative that Theresa in Tubbercurry has a voice at all times.

Definitely is, she can tell us all how the food is in Yeats County Inn these days.

People are not stupid because they like certain entertainers or genres etc. The whole reality tv is a passing phase and it will be out of style in no time.
    Well done to all those that make the most of it such as Jedward, Bieber, Price etc.
    Stop begrudging and belittling these people and their supporters. You always have the right to turn off or not read or listen to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I've no idea why. Next thing you know, people will be wasting their time typing inane crap to each other on the internet, whinging about rubbish, discussing sh1te and generally wasting good time that could be spent doing somthing productive. I've no idea why.:) But it's kinda fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

So much crap out there!

You forgot to mention Chrystal swing.

These people are well known for their ''entertainment'' value and the ''talent'' does not have to be amazing. Louis walsh himself said this when he saw Jedward first all those years ago.

So thats what it is, it's entertainment minus talent. If people are ''entertained'' by them then those higher powers will push it because its marketable and makes money. It makes perfect business sense and thats what it's all about I'm afraid.

Pottler wrote: »
    I've no idea why. Next thing you know, people will be wasting their time typing inane crap to each other on the internet, whinging about rubbish, discussing sh1te and generally wasting good time that could be spent doing somthing productive. I've no idea why.:) But it's kinda fun.

Thats interaction though, cant beat a bit of interaction. I dont mind people discussing it and their dislike of it but to have such contempt for people just because they like something is a bit weird.

I'd understand it if there was nothing else on and your pissed off that because everyone likes the xfactor there is literally nothing else you can see. But you can change the channel, open a book, read a magazine, rent a movie or get any amount of stuff for free on the internet. There is an unbelievable amount of choice for people that I dont understand why someone would hate someone else for having different preferences. They cant be putting you out to any great extent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Its going to be very interesting alright, seeing them, hell, even 5 years down the line. They can't keep up the muppertry!!!

Pantsface wrote: »

Its going to be very interesting alright, seeing them, hell, even 5 years down the line. They can't keep up the muppertry!!!
    Just to spite all the begrudgerers out there, i hope they keep re-inventing themselves and remain entertaining for decades ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

. I've said it before that turning the TV off is one of the single best ways you can improve your quality of life.

I haven't had a TV in years. One of the best decisions I ever made. I still watch some programmes on RTE player and 4OD like news, current affairs, docs., but I get to choose what I want to see more than just passively looking at any old crap on a TV screen, and it's freed up a lot more time to do other more productive and interesting stuff like my work and hobbies.
    And no ads. any more to sit through either. And no Sky bill or TV licence to pay. I call that a win :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

So much crap out there!

C'mon now Teddy, I'm sure your an educated man, Its all about dumbing people down, Most of these famous people you mentioned wouldn't have much between the ears so they won't be a threat to anyone.
    All of the above junk only distracts us all from real issues...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Just to spite all the begrudgerers out there, i hope they keep re-inventing themselves and remain entertaining for decades ;)

Its the way they go on, the way they talk, jump around & roar. When they hit their mid 20's they can't be at that, nor their 30s.

I'm not a begruder of Jedward, more power to them, they've made a rake load of cash out of very little talent. Going to be interesting seeing them down the line in a few years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I wouldn't call people stupid for watching x-factor, reality shows and so on. I just think people are being duped.
    I think there's an agenda going on whereby it suits those in authority to keep the masses distracted by what's going on over there (x-factor, vacuous celebrity culture) to keep us calm, passive and submissive so we won't be so inclined to ask uncomfortable questions of our masters in power and hold them accountable or make awkward demands for things that really matter like our rights, or demanding real root and branch change and reform in how our country is run.

The people's "rage and trampelling" must be prevented, so we must be kept marginalised and distracted, as Chomsky says.

What acts do you dislike? Because by your definition, you begrudge them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I've often wanted to make a post similar to this but didnt bother as I'd probably have been cut down.

I think 90 percent of people I have met are cosy within the box - whatever film/song/match/team/show/clothes/conversation style/liberal-conservative attitude/countries visited/even thoughts/drinks/food/music is all the rage, they'll soak it up regardless how dumb and rehashed it is. Very few people have a unique discernment process. The fact people become so uncomfortable and uneasy with others who have a different stance on many of the tags above shows how lame people in general truly are.

Then theres about 9 percent who actually have something interesting to say or do and theres the other percent who are in the halls of fame.

We have been dumbed down for a long time because introspection is seen as something odd and shameful. Schools do not encourage thought but instead inhibit it through function itself, nor does tv so we are depending on folks who have a disposition for thought.

I didnt really care about the Eurovision but when we threw Jedward up there it kinda mirrored a people who are willing to be seen as infantile idiots, a trend that seems to be fairly on course today among my generation. Its very much the same with a lot of tv and film, its target would have been seen as something for kiddies 30 years ago but now folks in there 30's and 40's are going around talking like teens.

The reality is we have been mammy'd from the git go - school, secondary, college, work, politicians, parents, all of which abdicate a sense of responsibility and a broadening of ones perspective.

Rant over.

Yeah Jedward belong on CBeebies or whatever, but they're somehow infiltrating adult TV.
    Women in their 30s are swooning over One Direction (babyfaced teen boys) - it seems like a bandwagon tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Yeah Jedward belong on CBeebies or whatever, but they're somehow infiltrating adult TV.
    Women in their 30s are swooning over One Direction (babyfaced teen boys) - it seems like a bandwagon tbh.

The same thing over twilight and the like. It's more than a band wagon, it's plain wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement