Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is society...

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

LordSmeg wrote: »
    I agree but the point made was that those who watch something the poster considers rubbish lose the right to have a valid opinion.

Your comprehension needs a retuning. They have every right to a valid opinion.

Until they show that they have one, I don't know - can't know - if they have one.

If someone watches something rubbish and can't even say why they like it, I literally cannot respect their opinion. It's impossible to. They're not allowing me to. They're depriving me of the chance to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

grindle wrote: »
    Your comprehension needs a retuning. They have every right to a valid opinion.

Until they show that they have one, I don't know - can't know - if they have one.

If someone watches something rubbish and can't even say why they like it, I literally cannot respect their opinion. It's impossible to. They're not allowing me to. They're depriving me of the chance to.

See you say that and it makes sense but then you have also stated quite clearly you think these people are stupid because they watch the show. You have written off their opinion before speaking to them and its up to them to change your mind. But why are you discounting their opinion before hearing it ?

I understand perfectly that you dont value their opinion on something if they cannot express it. But your also of the view that they cant express it because they lack the intelligence to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

If someone makes a recommendation for a TV show or book which lives up to the expectations they placed upon it, you will be eager to hear more from them, but if it fails to meet those expectations, you are less likely to accept further recommendations from that person. So their opinion in your view is lessened but may still be valid to others.

Not all talented people will become famous, in fact only a fraction will succeed in their field, be it art, music or acting, you cannot blame somebody for choosing to perform in a way which will give them fame, which most will use as a stepping stone to expand their career while others will become trapped by the fame, condemned to forever perform some sole-less tripe in the fear of losing their hard won fame.

LordSmeg wrote: »
    See you say that and it makes sense but then you have also stated quite clearly you think these people are stupid because they watch the show. You have written off their opinion before speaking to them and its up to them to change your mind. But why are you discounting their opinion before hearing it ?

I understand perfectly that you dont value their opinion on something if they cannot express it. But your also of the view that they cant express it because they lack the intelligence to.

If I've written off whatever it is that they like before talking to them, I'd like their positive opinion to be justified. I don't think they lack the intelligence to do so. I, who HATE faith, have far too much of it in humanity.
    It's when they don't, won't, can't explain why they like something that I write their opinion off.

e.g. A friend a work reads lots of fantasy novels, I didn't get it, he explained why he does.
    I don't like fantasy novels myself all of a sudden just because he explained why he likes them, but he validated his opinion in my eyes by justifying it.
    He doesn't like factual books or memoirs, I explained why I think they're good, he doesn't now read factual books, but he understands why someone would now.
    The worst 70% (again, random figure pulled out of my ass, but it's probably higher) of any media hasn't ever been justified to me.
    "I just do." doesn't fill me with hope for that person, or the possibility of future conversations with them.
    It's not like I'm saying "You like Hollyoaks?!? Right, your Leaving Cert is being revoked..."
    I have no doubt they could pass all sorts of intelligence or memory tests tests with ease.
    But if two people were going in for an intelligence test, and I had to bet on who'd score higher, I'd go for the one with Stephen Hawking and Proust on the reading list than the one with the Da Vinci Code and Twilight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I don't get why people are jumping on the OP's back. He definitely has a point.
    It's not about looking down on people from some smug, hipster, nostalgic, non mainstream viewpoint. X factor, Tallafornia etc, etc ... are for braindead, mundane trend followers and complete thicks. Call me what you want, any half wit could see it.

Its the fact that the shows referred to are so blatantly dumb, in your face on social networking, youtube, iTunes, advertised everywhere, raping the charts ahead of actual talented artists and on the radio non stop. You go to any bar or nightclub and at least of what's played is absolute muck.

Everyone has their own tastes and opinions .. but just talk to the people who watch and listen to this utter trash. Then talk to an actual individual who's life doesn't revolve around X factor on a Saturday and some talentless prick's social life and tell me who you'd rather spend time with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

MaxSteele wrote: »
    It's not about looking down on people from some smug, hipster, nostalgic, non mainstream viewpoint. X factor, Tallafornia etc, etc ... are for braindead, mundane trend followers and complete thicks. Call me what you want, any half wit could see it.

Oh get over yourself - seriously!

I know people with degrees, high intelligence etc. who watch the X Factor. It's just a light entertainment show for fukcs sake!

This is the same elitist crap you hear spouted from smugsters who look down on anyone who dares to enjoy anything mainstream, be it music, film or books.
    No, it's not brain food, but if entertains people for an hour or so every weekend, what's the harm in that?

Even a food connoisseur likes a hamburger every once in a while....

Not all people who like crap are stupid, but they should be able to acknowledge that the show, and their choice to watch it, is stupid.
    My girlfriend watches an insane amount of crap but she's intelligent, has a degree, good job, etc.
    1. This is the same elitist crap you hear spouted from smugsters who look down on anyone who dares to enjoy anything mainstream, be it music, film or books.

2. No, it's not brain food, but if entertains people for an hour or so every weekend, what's the harm in that?

3. Even a food connoisseur likes a hamburger every once in a while....

1. It's a lot more common to be looked down on by the majority of people for liking non-mainstream crap, be they independent musicians ("Ooh, y'think you're great d'ya, liking stuff nobody's heard of?"), arty - maybe even foreign ("Subtitles? Reading?") - films, or books whose chapters last beyond ten pages, and use... Oh no... Please... No... A word... A word I don't know?!? Throw the book away!
    Concepts? Like what, Mary and the Immaculate Concept Son?
    Getting smart be pure stupid.
    Is that elitism from populist smugsters?
    Or is it a benefit of egalitarianism that the majority get to use the tar brush more often?

2. No harm (apart from the slowing of your brain - it wants to be challenged), just don't pretend it's good, or even semi-ok, to make yourself feel better.
    When I've finished watching something like Medium (due to girlfriend), I actually feel a little insulted, and stupidererer.

3. Not all hamburgers are the same. It's conceivable that anyone would like delicious hamburgers.
    I presume you meant something like McDonald's though.
    I severely doubt any food connoisseur has sat down to a McDonald's and tried to justify it as a good thing in his own mind. They'll know it's crap. They'll say it's crap. They won't ever dream of saying "It's just a McDonald's, what's the harm?".
    If some twit who lives on McDonald's feels insulted by that, they've got mental problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Oh get over yourself - seriously!

I know people with degrees, high intelligence etc. who watch the X Factor. It's just a light entertainment show for fukcs sake!

Oh I'm not disputing that ... many of my mates(in college, working, on the dole etc) are the exact same unfortunately ! Imagine going to a pre-drinking session at your mates and having to watch X factor for 2 hours. :rolleyes:
    This is the same elitist crap you hear spouted from smugsters who look down on anyone who dares to enjoy anything mainstream, be it music, film or books.

Again this has nothing to do with mainstream. There's plenty of mainstream and non mainstream stuff I do and don't like. Mad Men and House are mainstream tv series, Adele and Drake are mainstream artists, all of which I don't have any interest in or particularly like, but I don't have a problem with because the people behind it are actually talented and not attention seeking, talentless monkeys.
    How many people at my age of 20 and under 35 do you reckon would watch Made in Chelsea, Only way is Essex, Jersey Shore instead Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones etc ?
    I can tell ya from experience nearly all of them sadly.

No, it's not brain food, but if entertains people for an hour or so every weekend, what's the harm in that?

Everyone to their own I say .. but the more this dumbed down s***e is idolized, becomes popular and keeps growing, the less interest in actual talented artists/entertainers and well written series as far as I'm concerned.

Even a food connoisseur likes a hamburger every once in a while....

Sure unless he's a vegen pussy why wouldn't he ? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Greentopia wrote: »
    I haven't had a TV in years. One of the best decisions I ever made. I still watch some programmes on RTE player and 4OD like news, current affairs, docs., but I get to choose what I want to see more than just passively looking at any old crap on a TV screen, and it's freed up a lot more time to do other more productive and interesting stuff like my work and hobbies.
    And no ads. any more to sit through either. And no Sky bill or TV licence to pay. I call that a win :cool:

I cancelled my Sky subscription a couple of years ago.

But I kept my television set.

Watching stuff on a computer screen SUCKS.

Is that hip enough for you?

• Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Censorship

Television is a tool of government indoctrination, a very powerful tool. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Well look at it this way; 20 years from now the people who liked Justin Bieber, Jedward etc, will be complaining over artists in the charts in the future. People will be saying, "Ohh god be with the days when we had Bieber and Jedward. They were real artists."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

I love watching light entertainment crap

I are not supid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Well look at it this way; 20 years from now the people who liked Justin Bieber, Jedward etc, will be complaining over artists in the charts in the future. People will be saying, "Ohh god be with the days when we had Bieber and Jedward. They were real artists."
    Lol, No they will not!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

it will all be gone soon, very soon, to be replaced with interactive virtual worlds, enjoy what you have now for we will ner see each other any more, only a blur passing by every twence and a twined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Lol, No they will not!:D

Why not? Do you think the world will be destroyed by then?:D But its common for older generations to hate the stuff that the new generations are into. Parents usually hate the music their teenage children listen to, then when the children grow up and have kids of their own, the same thing happens. The cycle is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

MaxSteele wrote: »

Very few shows on television throughout it's history have ever done anything that wasn't for mass consumption.

There was no glory to be found on the box 30 years ago, just utter bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Very few shows on television throughout it's history have ever done anything that wasn't for mass consumption.

There was no glory to be found on the box 30 years ago, just utter bull****.

Definitely and television as a medium is only in its infancy. Drama has been around since before the Ancient Greeks. The novel is a few hundred years old. Television is a mass medium and the majority of stuff on it will be inane because all it is about is making money with very little artistic prestige behind it unlike other mediums to an extent (obviously they have to make money too).

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Why not? Do you think the world will be destroyed by then?:D But its common for older generations to hate the stuff that the new generations are into. Parents usually hate the music their teenage children listen to, then when the children grow up and have kids of their own, the same thing happens. The cycle is inevitable.
    But people for example who liked Spice Girls or something as kids probably don't now that they're grown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Dudess wrote: »
    So you acknowledge they're shyte. People are entitled to express this opinion without being told they're "begrudgers". Not everyone wants to jump on the "I will say I like Jedward just to show how openminded I am" bandwagon.

Was this her final post? Or did she announce it?

• Advertisement

Spread wrote: »
    Was this her final post? Or did she announce it?
    Yea this was her final post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

*Takes off cap*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Mrs Brown's Boys won a BAFTA. Stupidity sells.
    Genuine Comedy sells because it is what it is, to be taken at face-value. That's what it's there for. Comedy wins over reality-tv for me any day. It's not stupid! The good comedy was never invented to be included along with trailor-trash-trype.

dechecho wrote: »
    Simon Cowell never supported Jedward. Their success is to spite him,
    ^^^^Fixed yer post! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

, Justin Bieber perhaps (in fairness though people like him being marketed to teenage girls is nothing new, so he might fit into another category) and so on.

Something Ive been wondering lately.

Maybe I am just not down with the youth, but he has been around for at least 3 years and in all that time I have only ever heard one song by him. Now bare in mind the sites I work on are usually tuned into the same Aussie top 10 hit radio stations that play the same dozen odd popular tracks (Rihanna, Pink, Usher, David Guetta, Black Eyed Peas etc) on the hour every hour, yet I have only ever one tune by him, that one Baby he had out years back.

A 3 odd year career in the limelight off the back of a one hit wonder is some going! I dont really find him that annoying- all the young lads 20 and under seem to be going for that mullet head one diamond ear stud gobsh1te look these days.

On a similar note, being away from home means I have never actually heard Jedward talk in an interview or heard their music. The bizarre photo of them I have seen are enough warning.

Something Ive been wondering lately.

Maybe I am just not down with the youth, but he has been around for at least 3 years and in all that time I have only ever heard one song by him. Now bare in mind the sites I work on are usually tuned into the same Aussie top 10 hit radio stations that play the same dozen odd popular tracks (Rihanna, Pink, Usher, David Guetta, Black Eyed Peas etc) on the hour every hour, yet I have only ever one tune by him, that one Baby he had out years back.

A 3 odd year career in the limelight off the back of a one hit wonder is some going! I dont really find him that annoying- all the young lads 20 and under seem to be going for that mullet head one diamond ear stud gobsh1te look these days.

On a similar note, being away from home means I have never actually heard Jedward talk in an interview or heard their music. The bizarre photo of them I have seen are enough warning.
    That's true, I never hear him on the radio now that you mention it. Although, I'm mostly listening to the radio during the day, while his fans are probably in school or creche :D Any DJ regularly playing his music would almost certainly lose listeners.
    I'm sure the likes of Spin 103.8 play a lot of his songs.
    In fairness he's not the worst pop act for that market ever to be produced, I mean he's better than the likes of westlife, but when you compare him to pop acts such as Lady GaGa he seems very generic. Then again that wouldn't really be my sort of thing either.
    I tend to music to be music, anything act that needs some fancy things happening on stage constantly is probably going to be lacking in the music department.

Advertisement