Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos return Query.

Options
  • 04-06-2012 3:01pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

I bought a netbook from Argos the other week, but it keeps crashing. Apparently it can be a problem with some of the units of this particular netbook. I bought it during their 75th birthday promotion I can't return it for cash because I got a 10 euro voucher, but I am looking to return it for another unit, or maybe another netbook of equal cost. Is that possible? It's fully boxed with everything in as new condition. Also, I'm having trouble locating the receipt. Would they be able to track my purchase through my laser card and find the transaction that way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

laptop doesnt work.it's not fit for purpose because it's a manufacturers' fault. Argos should have no problem exhanging for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If the laptop is defective, then you are legally entitled to a refund, replacement or repair. It's up to you and the retailer to come to an agreement on which one.

A receipt is always best, but a laser statement showing the date of the purchase will also work.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Ah, didn't think of using a statement. Thanks. I'll go looking for one.

I don't think I'm actually eligible for a full refund, it states as much on the receipt. It has to do with the promotion they had on at the time, of a free 10 euro voucher.

Any internal promotions that Argos run cannot supersede your statutory rights.

But if they offer a replacement, and you are happy to accept, then that's a good resolution. Just remember that you are entitled to a replacement of equal spec.

Looks like I'm SOL, I can't locate the receipt. Will they be able to find the transaction with just my laser card? There's a big Argos sticker on the box with the catalogue number and everything.

• Advertisement

Proof of purchase doesn't have to be a receipt - a credit/debit card statement will also suffice. From that, they should be able to locate the transaction on their system. If they can't, that's their problem. You are fulfilling your obligations by bringing in the statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Andy!! wrote: »
    Ah, didn't think of using a statement. Thanks. I'll go looking for one.

I don't think I'm actually eligible for a full refund, it states as much on the receipt. It has to do with the promotion they had on at the time, of a free 10 euro voucher.

The receipt will also say "does not affect your statutory rights", they'd be committing an offence if they suggest your rights are overruled. You paid a sum of money for the netbook and got a free voucher (as an enticement). You are entitled to seek to rescind the contract and seek a full refund for the netbook regardless of what else the receipt says. Likewise imo Argos may be entitled to seek the return of the voucher or possibly it's value (€10) since that too formed part of the sales contract and should be returned with the netbook.

Went back to them, they stated that even if I had a receipt/bank statement they would not refund or exchange it, rather they would send it back to the manufacturer. Which would be fine if I wasn't emigrating in 4 days :(

They are within their rights to refund, repair or replace. AND you are within your rights to refuse it, if you believe that you have grounds.

Given that you are leaving the country, and cannot pursue a repair, then I would ask to speak with the manager and push for replacement or refund. Outline your reasons for refusing the repair option.

Advertisement