Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male and female puppies priced differently

• 04-06-2012 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Why do some breeders do this? (By breeders, I use the term loosely in some cases!). Just from looking at a well known ads site, I see a lot of litters where females are priced higher than males. All that it says is "males €x females €y" it's not because of quality differences between the individual puppies or anything .

I find it hard to believe that someone would go to choose a puppy and willingly spend extra just because of the puppy's gender? It's not like a female puppy costs any more to raise up to the 8 week selling mark, and it's not like the breeder had to put loads of extra work in to ensure female puppies. The only reason I can think of is that a female puppy can obviously be bred from... :rolleyes: but males can be used for stud too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭meisha

thats exactly it..more money can be made on females through breeding :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

An owner is not very likely to make much money from a stud dog unless its a complete picture of health.

However a female = pups= more pups = more pups = $$$$$$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I've actually seen the opposite alot too, males being more expensive than the females in the litter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Magenta wrote: »
    The only reason I can think of is that a female puppy can obviously be bred from... :rolleyes: but males can be used for stud too?

This is exactly the reason, these people see no other reason why someone would want a female unless its a 'business start-up' investment, why would they? It's exactly what they did themselves. That and because 'everyone else does it - it's just what you do . . . '. In all honesty of the people buying these pups, I imagine quite a lot of them probably come home with a new pup and fully intend on making their money back (yay free dog, and some profit . . . .) If they do any amount of research into breeding al all later on, I would imagine quite a lot also change their mind pretty quickly too.
    I've actually seen the opposite alot too, males being more expensive than the females in the litter.

Would these be breeds commonly used as guard dogs by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I've seen males more expensive than females, and it usually reflects the fact that their desexing op is cheaper and they're 'less hassle' even if you leave them intact for a couple of years because they don't come into heat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement