Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Neck glue

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

'Hide glue' is the go to glue for luthier work. It comes in the form of pellets and you heat it up and it melts. The advantage is that you can reheat it and it softens so that you can do further work on the instrument down the line if needs be. There is also 'Liquid Hide Glue' - more convenient, it is true, but not as strong as hide glue. I get mine from Touchstone Tonewoods in Surrey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Hide glue is good stuf, though it can be smelly.

it is, after all, made from dead animals, hence the name.

not good for vegetarians etc.......

or you could go with the more modern beliefs.

I'm currently working on build #90

I used Cascamite for the first two and Evostick wood glue for all the rest.

Just bog standard wood glue in the green bottle that you get in any hardware or DIY store.

31fED%2BBh38L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and just like hide glue, you can loosen it with heat, though it takes more heat for it to let go.

I've removed several fretboards using a £5 Tesco clothes iron

Nice one - didn't know that Evo Stik was thermoplastic - Thanks!
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 synewave

That's interesting. I'm glad I asked now. Was nearly going to use any old glue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭goblin59

im using gorilla glue.
    Gibson use franklin titebond 50 on their guitar necks.

• Advertisement

I've heard bad stories about gorilla......

can't remember exactly, something to do with foaming and expansion.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭goblin59

yeah, its designed to foam, but i haven't had it expand on me, once it sets.

You just need to be sparingly with the stuff.

it is damn expensive though.

Don't use Gorilla for instruments - it expands and you'll never get it off (if you need to in the future) Gorilla Glue is for sticking bumpers back on cars, that sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

the lumberjack glue i mentioned before(in another thread) is of the foaming variety and used sparingly it's brilliant... i'd more recommend it for repairing breaks and the like though...

glueing instruments is more about how you do it rather than what you use... :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I would go with epoxy resin it's clear and when set it will be stronger than the wood it's self :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

I use any PVA wood glue for assembling bodies, and liquid Titebond for fingerboards. Joe McKenna's hardware in Limerick keep titebond, apparently because one of their staff is a violin maker. It's nice stuff to work with, a damp sponge takes away any squeeze-out.

fergal.b wrote: »
    and when set it will be stronger than the wood it's self
    pretty much every glue on the market makes this claim!!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

pretty much every glue on the market makes this claim!!:rolleyes:

A but I trust my life with it my boats are held together with just epoxy :D

I made a canadian canoe thet was held together with cascamite which, you betcha,......

polyvine-cascamite-adhesive-1-5kg-tub-6824.jpg

Here is a post on guitar building from a boatbuilding site I'm on, worth a look.
    http://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11218&hilit=guitar

Advertisement