Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vegetarianism and Transubstantiation

• 04-06-2012 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭

A question I oft ponder.
    If you are a vegetarian for the whole range of reasons, ethical, dietary, health etc etc AND a practicing catholic are you breaking your rules by taking holy communion?

What say you...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

That's a lot of syllables for a thread title.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The answer is clearly yes, unless you believe Jesus was a vegetable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Another one for you OP, you know they have a different communion wafer for coeliacs. Just think about it for a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

The answer is clearly yes, unless you believe Jesus was a vegetable.

That would be a turnip for the books.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Well JC was sentient and did express a will to be eaten so that would leave people off the hook

Also is it gluten free ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Well JC was sentient and did express a will to be eaten so that would leave people off the hook

Also is it gluten free ?

Ah. Kinda like the bovine creature in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe bred to want to be eaten... or is that 'bread , to want to be eaten......'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

c_man wrote: »
    Another one for you OP, you know they have a different communion wafer for coeliacs. Just think about it for a minute.

Why don't they just drink the wine instead? Also I heard that some churches use mi wadi instead of wine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

phasers wrote: »
    Why don't they just drink the wine instead? Also I heard that some churches use mi wadi instead of wine

Ah from the ancient translation "Take this all of you and dilute it 5/1 and drink it, matters it not whether it is Blackcurrant, Orange or Tropical . Do this in memory of me'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Easting the "body of Christ" is nothing to do with vegetarianism.
    It's simply cannibalism and illegal last time I looked but of course religious people get away with anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Ah from the ancient translation "Take this all of you and dilute it 5/1 and drink it, matters it not whether it is Blackcurrant, Orange or Tropical . Do this in memory of me'.

And then we'd have a new set of Protestants going around lording over everyone with their beautiful dentistry because they believe in the use of Toothkind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

A question I oft ponder.
    If you are a vegetarian for the whole range of reasons, ethical, dietary, health etc etc AND a practicing catholic are you breaking your rules by taking holy communion?

What say you...

I bet you don't swallow when you give someone a blow job.:):):)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

biko wrote: »
    It's simply cannibalism and illegal last time I looked but of course religious people get away with anything.
    Blasphemy
    hope you have €25,000 hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Everyone knows there are no vegetarian Catholics, since all vegetarians are atheistic anarchist squatters with dreadlocks and grandiose ideology.

Regards,

Bill O'Reilly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

You do realise that there aren't actual bits of dead 2000 year old guy in there, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

biko wrote: »

So that is where this whole zombie craze lately begun.
    no virus or voodoo but good old fashioned Christianity.
    It eats the body or else it gets the hose again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

A question I oft ponder.

What say you...

No, because you're just eating the living spirit of Jesus, apparently. Which is in no way weird.
    The category of "vegetarian/non-vegetarian" doesn't apply well to the mystical-sacramental presence of Jesus in the Eucharist. We don't eat this in the same way that we would eat animal flesh as food.
    There, we eat part of a dead creature. Here we are receiving a living person into ourselves, whole and entire, divine and human — Jesus as He is now, already risen from the dead. Jesus has conquered death by His Resurrection, and does not die again when we obey His command to eat His flesh and drink His blood. That act — shocking as it is — is not destructive, and does not harm Jesus. There is no re-killing of Jesus which would offend some against the desire to harm no living, breathing creatures.
    The consecrated Host is the Risen Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity that we are given as real Food and real Drink. The Presence is Real. The transubstantiation is real. The New Food and Drink is real, but we have to be careful not to be caught up an overly physicalistic interpretation here — as if we are chomping on Jesus of Nazareth.
    The Eucharist connects both the Mystery of the Incarnation and the Paschal Mystery. Sometimes in emphasizing the Real Presence, we have simply emphasized the Incarnation, but the Eucharist cannot be "understood" without the Resurrection.
    http://www.askacatholic.com/_webpostings/answers/2000_11NOV/2000NovBeingVegetarianAndTheEucharist.cfm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I wonder if the wafer box has a warning label on it? "Caution: May contain Nuts (after transubstantiation)"

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I heard that holy communion is in fact a slice of Jesus's penis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

TBH I don't believe in Vegetarianism. Evolution is clear proof of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Jester252 wrote: »

Do you mean that you don't believe that it happens?
    Or that you don't agree with it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

How is evolution clear proof that you don't believe in vegetarianism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

And here is the proof

Congratulations, you have just won the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

smash wrote: »
    I heard that holy communion is in fact a slice of Jesus's penis!

Much have been a big one then - they're still slicing it over 2000 year later:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

How is evolution clear proof that you don't believe in vegetarianism?

Evotransubstanvegetariation,

Now that would be an ecumenical matter!
    :pac:

Advertisement